HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 1:46 PM
Change is good

It wouldn't be that much to add a third lane between gateway and Terwillegar. Just get it done already. Would solve a lot of issues.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
It wouldn't be that much to add a third lane between gateway and Terwillegar. Just get it done already. Would solve a lot of issues.
Third lane and enforce the left lane rule. To many idiots driving in the left lane until their exit.

Adding another lane southbound from Stoney to Whitemud will help as well. also east bound at Campbell rd. That is always a parking lot.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:03 PM

^
^^
Thanks for the info guys. It’s drivin. Me insane being stuck on that road
Like I’m literally planning to by a car with low speed adaptive
Cruise control just for that road. Omg.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
^
^^
My wife started using the adaptive control last year and found she doesn't swear as often. (Only at Me).

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
^
^^
I live just off of RHR north of the Henday, and I avoid AHD during rush hour because I can't take it anymore. That being said, I find a quick trip to Vancouver or Toronto puts things in perspective with regards to our traffic issues.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:14 PM
HVAC guru

I recently had to drive from our place in Capilano area to Lewis Estates after work at around 5:30pm to go check out a car for a friend in BC. I got on the Henday at Baseline, traffic flowed reasonably well until you hit the turn-off at hwy 21, then it turns to shit. From that point all the way past Rabbit Hill was stop & go, jam packed. Of course volume is a problem but too many people tailgating and making multiple lane changes just backs everything up. I am glad I don’t have to do that every day. Should’ve taken the north leg. Floors me that by far the worst rush hour congestion in Edmonton is on the periphery of the city.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I recently had to drive from our place in Capilano area to Lewis Estates after work at around 5:30pm to go check out a car for a friend in BC. I got on the Henday at Baseline, traffic flowed reasonably well until you hit the turn-off at hwy 21, then it turns to shit. From that point all the way past Rabbit Hill was stop & go, jam packed. Of course volume is a problem but too many people tailgating and making multiple lane changes just backs everything up. I am glad I don’t have to do that every day. Should’ve taken the north leg. Floors me that by far the worst rush hour congestion in Edmonton is on the periphery of the city.
North side is bad at fort rd and then at Stoney Plain Rd. Going west. See my previuos comments for east bound.

St Albert tr is not much better. I avoid the trail most times but from 4-6 going north is a bastard. I end up using 156st and then over to 170st and come in the back way. The lights in the south end of St Albert are atrocious.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 5:36 PM
HVAC guru

We go Henday North to Campbell Road to get to the Citadel where the inlaws live. The worst part about that is when you get to Boudreau and hit literally every single light. It's maddening.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
We go Henday North to Campbell Road to get to the Citadel where the inlaws live. The worst part about that is when you get to Boudreau and hit literally every single light. It's maddening.
Yup St Albert does not coordinate the lights. You be smarter to Turn at 97st and head up to Sturgeon rd then Starkey road then west into St Albert. By Pass most of the lights, and its a pleasant drive.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Third lane and enforce the left lane rule. To many idiots driving in the left lane until their exit.

Adding another lane southbound from Stoney to Whitemud will help as well. also east bound at Campbell rd. That is always a parking lot.
the problem with that is that the left lane is also the exit lane for terwillegar and the tendency is to get in to that lane really early because if you're not there aren't enough courteous people to allow to merge in time to take the exit. it's a really silly maneuver to have to take.

the city's cavalier treatment of through lanes leads to a lot of this kind of abuse and frustration. there's so many examples of the left lane disappearing (continually on gateway) or becoming an exit lane or - even worse - becoming two left turn lanes which is worse than the whitemud experience as drivers veer to the right to stay on the road they thought they were on...

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Yup St Albert does not coordinate the lights. You be smarter to Turn at 97st and head up to Sturgeon rd then Starkey road then west into St Albert. By Pass most of the lights, and its a pleasant drive.
the craziest situation for uncoordinated lights is west bound on 100 avenue... during the afternoon rush hour, traffic will back up solid from 109 avenue to 102 avenue as the lights are timed so that there are never enough greens for any traffic to move across the intersection they're at so you can sit at a virtual standstill for 6 or more cycles at each light, made worse because between the one-ways and 102 avenue being closed, there's not too many other options available so you're pretty much stuck there.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:28 AM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
the craziest situation for uncoordinated lights is west bound on 100 avenue... during the afternoon rush hour, traffic will back up solid from 109 avenue to 102 avenue as the lights are timed so that there are never enough greens for any traffic to move across the intersection they're at so you can sit at a virtual standstill for 6 or more cycles at each light, made worse because between the one-ways and 102 avenue being closed, there's not too many other options available so you're pretty much stuck there.
I can attest to this as a cyclist -there is always a multiple-block lineup of vehicles down 100th Ave all heading to 109 St.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:45 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
the problem with that is that the left lane is also the exit lane for terwillegar and the tendency is to get in to that lane really early because if you're not there aren't enough courteous people to allow to merge in time to take the exit. it's a really silly maneuver to have to take.
We are talking about the Henday, you seem to be talking about the whitemud, and yes that left lane thing for Terwillegar is silly at best, especially since most of that traffic is coming/going to fox drive, which means shifting over 3-4 lanes in about 800 m

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I can attest to this as a cyclist -there is always a multiple-block lineup of vehicles down 100th Ave all heading to 109 St.
But you got your bike lane

Really that stretch is only bad for about 20 minutes in the afternoons when the government lets out. Everyone leaves at the same time and by 5:30 it's fine again. Any other time of day the road still flows, albeit a little clunkily.. but the city made the choice to artificially congest the area.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
We are talking about the Henday, you seem to be talking about the whitemud, and yes that left lane thing for Terwillegar is silly at best, especially since most of that traffic is coming/going to fox drive, which means shifting over 3-4 lanes in about 800 m
oops... brain cramp at this end.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:59 AM

Wish they'd hurry up and rebuild Whitemud and Terwillegar. I was in grade 2 or 3 when I knew that interchange was a gong show, especially that eastbound Whitemud curve. Seems like a fun high speed curve to make on a motorcycle though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:43 PM
Change is good

The missing pedestrian bridge in that area to cross the whitemud would be really helpful as well for those that cycle-commute to downtown. It would shave a couple of kms of back tracking....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:20 AM

https://www.edmontoninsightcommunity...CHO8y1CaAZwrZo

Please take a moment to fill out this survey on the de icing efforts of last winter

I for one thought it was a success as the city looked 1000X less gross both during the winter and in the spring

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:35 AM

Agreed

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:15 PM

Noticeable difference. When driving in Edmonton then out to St Albert where they were still using the Salt sand mixture. 90% of the winter the brine was better for the drive. The snow cleared from the road faster as well. St Albert's reliance on Speed plows made for a less than optimal road condition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton