HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:02 PM

There's a new zoning application up to tear down the Women's Treatment Center (drug rehab) at 140 N Ashland in West Loop across from Union Park and literally next to the Ashland Green Line stop. This calls for a new 12 story building, 150 feet to the roof, 210 unit building with ground floor retail. The top floor calls for residential amenity and outdoor green space (rooftop). Plans call for only 58 parking spaces total. The existing 5 or 6 story building next to it at Ashland & Maypole will be restored and serve as part of this development. I believe adding some parking there as well as new retail, amenity space, etc.

The developer is Marquette Companies from Naperville who are behind the 2 new residential developments in the 1400 block of Randolph St currently under construction. This one is just on the other side of Union Park.

Application:
https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

More currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8850...7i16384!8i8192

Drawing looking east from Ashland (or Union Park):

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:17 PM

..and another one, though I feel this was maybe talked about? Sterling Bay and Wanxiang America are proposing a new 380 foot tall residential high rise with 320 units, 90 parking spaces, 134 bicycle parking spaces, and ground floor commercial at 160 N Morgan St. This is a stone's throw away from the Morgan Green Line stop. This was most recently Burrow furniture store and South Central Bank before that. Next to Federales.

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

More recently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-87.6524868

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:24 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's a new zoning application up to tear down the Women's Treatment Center (drug rehab) at 140 N Ashland in West Loop across from Union Park and literally next to the Ashland Green Line stop. This calls for a new 12 story building, 150 feet to the roof, 210 unit building with ground floor retail. The top floor calls for residential amenity and outdoor green space (rooftop). Plans call for only 58 parking spaces total. The existing 5 or 6 story building next to it at Ashland & Maypole will be restored and serve as part of this development. I believe adding some parking there as well as new retail, amenity space, etc.

The developer is Marquette Companies from Naperville who are behind the 2 new residential developments in the 1400 block of Randolph St currently under construction. This one is just on the other side of Union Park.
Wow, that's going to be a huge catalyst for the area! Great to see development from the West Loop jumping Union Park/Ogden. Its placement right next to a Green/Pink line station is great too. Hopefully will help get ridership numbers up!

As a side perk, this should help put further developmental pressure on the UC lots. Their days are numbered, the only question is when.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 5:30 AM
TL;DR

Yeah the methadone and other services at the Women’s Clinic are probably much needed but they certainly were holding back the area’s development. Prepare for the public outcry in 3, 2, 1...

That’s huge honestly, I always assumed they were one of those institutions that would stay put forever. I am awaiting the inevitable concern trolling Block Club article. Maybe (hopefully) there is an upside to this if the Women’s Clinic can move to a newer, better home.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah the methadone and other services at the Women’s Clinic are probably much needed but they certainly were holding back the area’s development. Prepare for the public outcry in 3, 2, 1...

That’s huge honestly, I always assumed they were one of those institutions that would stay put forever. I am awaiting the inevitable concern trolling Block Club article. Maybe (hopefully) there is an upside to this if the Women’s Clinic can move to a newer, better home.
You mean the "random neighborhood resident was not consulted before greedy and evil developer decided to build said building" article?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:57 PM
The City

Just remember, guys, that most of these proposals are not going to happen for a while.

Developers see the political writing on the wall and are racing to lock in entitlements before Rosa, Sigcho-Lopez, and the rest of the douche parade forces steeper affordable housing requirements on everything. It's on its way, so if I were a developer now I'd do my best to lock things in under current law before it becomes cost-prohibitive to launch any new projects.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:51 PM

Tentatively, 140 N Ashland looks like it could be a big win all the way around.

I believe The Women's Treatment Center owns that building (they are a 501c3 and the property is listed as tax exempt). So hopefully they are getting a nice chunk of change they can use to build a shiny new building.

This also makes Union Park more of an anchor point to pull development further west down Randolph. With the Ashland stop right there, hopefully it can spur more restaurants etc. on the west end of Randolph. There's a few places like Kaiser Tiger, but most of the Randolph restaurant activity is still east of Morgan.

AND, as left of center mentioned, it makes redeveloping the UC lots more and more attractive. I sometimes daydream about what I would do if I owned the Bulls. #1 is fix the team, but a close #2 is redevelop all those parking lots and get a convenient station added to the Pink line.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Just remember, guys, that most of these proposals are not going to happen for a while.

Developers see the political writing on the wall and are racing to lock in entitlements before Rosa, Sigcho-Lopez, and the rest of the douche parade forces steeper affordable housing requirements on everything. It's on its way, so if I were a developer now I'd do my best to lock things in under current law before it becomes cost-prohibitive to launch any new projects.

I'm not sure what the answers are, but these zoning apps have slowed a bit especially since the pandemic. In no way is there some flurry of proposals here like you are implying.

In any case, the 140 N Ashland development would be positive for the area. Same company is already building around 500 units right nearby next to the park basically. For sure changes the kind of atmosphere around the park when all is said and done.

I'm sure the organization can open up in another decent location with the money they're getting from this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
Tentatively, 140 N Ashland looks like it could be a big win all the way around.

I believe The Women's Treatment Center owns that building (they are a 501c3 and the property is listed as tax exempt). So hopefully they are getting a nice chunk of change they can use to build a shiny new building.

This also makes Union Park more of an anchor point to pull development further west down Randolph. With the Ashland stop right there, hopefully it can spur more restaurants etc. on the west end of Randolph. There's a few places like Kaiser Tiger, but most of the Randolph restaurant activity is still east of Morgan.
the new building doesn't include much retail, just one small space at the corner of Ashland/Lake under the tracks. The rest of the ground floor is given over to amenity space, and a lot of it. I dunno why you need all that when there's a park with pool and fieldhouse directly across the street.

To be fair, the ground floor is at +5' to match the existing Mary Thompson Hospital building that is remaining, so it's not the most inviting for retail and accessibility is a challenge. The one space under the tracks may be the only spot where they can drop the floor to ground level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm sure the organization can open up in another decent location with the money they're getting from this.
To be fair, it's hard to find a more transit-accessible location than this (2 L lines + the city's busiest bus corridor). It's a highly accessible facility for low-income people who are transit-dependent.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:17 PM

You don't really expect people in those apartments to mix with the commoners at the public pool do you? OH THE HUMANITY!! Just wait till they complain about Pitchfork festival and the many rallies/marches that kick off from the park.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:29 PM

Crains has a rendering for 140 Ashland

Quote:
Farther west, Naperville developer Marquette has proposed 210 units at 140 N. Ashland Ave., on the west side of Union Park. It would be Marquette’s fifth multifamily building in the area, part of a concentrated investment by the developer around the 14-acre park.

“That’s like the final piece of the puzzle for me,” said Marquette President and Chief Investment Officer Darren Sloniger. “It think it will be really transformative.”

Sterling Bay and Marquette are seeking the city’s approval for the projects after one of the worst years for downtown apartment landlords in recent memory. Occupancies and rents in and around the central business district plunged in 2020 as many downtown businesses required their employees to work remotely. Living close to the office lost its value, especially with so many downtown restaurants and bars shut down, and demand for apartments fell.

But recent data suggest that the market is bottoming out and poised for a recovery in 2021. Last year, as tenants moved out of the Mason, a 263-unit building Marquette developed on the west end of the Fulton Market neighborhood, the property’s occupancy dropped below 90 percent, Sloniger said. It’s back above 90 percent now.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Just wait till they complain about Pitchfork festival and the many rallies/marches that kick off from the park.
At this point I assume that big events like concerts at Union are going away.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
That Naperville-based developer should probably just build that POS in Naperville...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:45 PM
The City

^ It may be ugly, but it's perfect density.

I do hope that they keep having concerts at Union Park. I only went to one concert there (Techno festival to see Chemical Bros in around 2015) and it was a BLAST!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
That Naperville-based developer should probably just build that POS in Naperville...
I'm trying to understand the hostility to this. It's a big residential development right next to an underutilized train stop. It'll have great views of Union Park and the city. On top of all that, it looks like it will have retail along the sidewalk without a huge parking podium.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:21 PM
The City

^ Well, it does look like a 1982 College dorm.

But the density and other aspects are nice

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It may be ugly, but it's perfect density.

I do hope that they keep having concerts at Union Park. I only went to one concert there (Techno festival to see Chemical Bros in around 2015) and it was a BLAST!!!!!!!!!
Hey I was there too, North Coast Music Fest. That was an AWESOME show. It's a great place for events, but difficult to see how stuff like that can continue with so much residential going in. Pretty sad, but also possibly worth the trade off to see some density creeping westward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I'm trying to understand the hostility to this. It's a big residential development right next to an underutilized train stop. It'll have great views of Union Park and the city. On top of all that, it looks like it will have retail along the sidewalk without a huge parking podium.
I was being a hyperbolic, yes it's nice to see some density going up around that totally underutilized stop. Just a shame what could be a prime anchor (very visible from the park and adjacent to the el) for a new trend of development near the UC is just going to be a very meh building. Together with some of the other blah residential stuff (looking at you Ashland/Ogden) that's gone up near Union Park in the last few years, that little section could be a big wasted opportunity 10-20 years from now.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:54 PM

Part of the problem at Union Park is its pretty small and events tend to outgrow it and move elsewhere in the city. I doubt apartment buildings will be a big problem since it's usually the condo owners that get into a twist over this stuff and complain to the alderman. Renters just move if they don't like it when the lease is up and get replaced with people who don't care, the aldermen are aware of this dynamic as well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:03 PM
The City

Quote:
Hey I was there too, North Coast Music Fest. That was an AWESOME show.
^ I was in my late 30's then, went with some younger cousins.

Besides the great music and lighting, my 2 impressions were:

1. A haze of smoke. Everywhere (a lot of it was weed). I could barely see
2. WOW everyone is so young. Or maybe I'm old?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
skyscraperpage.com forums in 30 years....

"this is a great example of the classic 2020's TOD design vernacular"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations