HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 8:17 PM

Architectural and planning inspiration for Canada from around the world

I don't know if there's a thread for this already but it's an excuse to share this ARTE program (in French, but subtitles are always possible) which features people like Kengo Kuma. And maybe there are similar things out there which come to mind, whatever they advocate.

As a Canadian in France, I'm particularly interested in projects, trends, initiatives, etc., which could directly or indirectly be relevant in / to Canada. In this show, for example, Kuma talks about how he wants to help create smaller-scale, lower buildings / neighbourhoods in Tokyo, which of course goes against the height preference of many.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁 View Post
I don't know if there's a thread for this already but it's an excuse to share this ARTE program (in French, but subtitles are always possible) which features people like Kengo Kuma. And maybe there are similar things out there which come to mind, whatever they advocate.

As a Canadian in France, I'm particularly interested in projects, trends, initiatives, etc., which could directly or indirectly be relevant in / to Canada. In this show, for example, Kuma talks about how he wants to help create smaller-scale, lower buildings / neighbourhoods in Tokyo, which of course goes against the height preference of many.
Much of Europe comes to mind. Canada's built form is generally at the extremes, single family homes and townhomes or high-rises. We don't build dense, human-scale low to mid-rise neighbourhoods anymore like we see in Europe and we built in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Much of Europe comes to mind. Canada's built form is generally at the extremes, single family homes and townhomes or high-rises. We don't build dense, human-scale low to mid-rise neighbourhoods anymore like we see in Europe and we built in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
I don't know how it translate into a European development model. Many of the new sub-divisions in places like Saskatoon have a dense core with 4 stores (some with retail on the ground level), schools etc. Radiating out from their are townhouses then single family. Saskatoon is unusual in that the municipal government is usually buying up farm land, creating the sub-division and then selling off the lots to developers. Places like Calgary and Edmonton have similar patterns but they are more in the hands of private developers.

This would be two examples:
https://goo.gl/maps/NGuWM2cYteTHtVk68
https://goo.gl/maps/QWSMcJC5HUBo4iC56

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I don't know how it translate into a European development model. Many of the new sub-divisions in places like Saskatoon have a dense core with 4 stores (some with retail on the ground level), schools etc. Radiating out from their are townhouses then single family. Saskatoon is unusual in that the municipal government is usually buying up farm land, creating the sub-division and then selling off the lots to developers. Places like Calgary and Edmonton have similar patterns but they are more in the hands of private developers.

This would be two examples:
https://goo.gl/maps/NGuWM2cYteTHtVk68
https://goo.gl/maps/QWSMcJC5HUBo4iC56
That looks better than what we have, with a high density core with commercial and the rest radiating away from it. We still do "Smart" Centres on stroads with exclusively residential mega-neighbourhoods.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Av...8!4d-75.471129

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:44 PM
Cap the Cut!

This isn't architecture but it could be considered 'inspiration' in terms of infrastructure. I don't recall seeing many over flowing garbage cans in Lisbon. I took these pics earlier this winter.

20230217_092412 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230217_092408 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230217_092402 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230217_092337 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230217_092333 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230217_092322_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:48 PM

Kuma has a tower going up in Vancouver.
And ya this has been done before.
How do you pronounce your name?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada