HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I took several bags of recycling to the new Sarcan on Gordon Road in Harbour Landing this morning. No complaints about the building meeting its purpose, however, I feel bad for the tenants of the apartments immediately to the west of it. The two buildings are fairly close to each other, and blocks the view from many suites. The view they have is of the back of an industrial, metal-sided building that is so out of place. It's the worst-looking building in all of Harbour Landing! Who wants to be on the back side of a busy recycling centre with the noise, and possibly field mice, that are associated with it? Our city planning still leaves very much to question (like my fellow SSP followers know all too well).

Another turd that is inappropriate for its neighbourhood
While I think you are very much overstating the issue here, the city, does have a fetish for industrial zoning now. Practically every subdivision now has industrial zoning included for whatever reason.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Cathedral is such a strange area. It seems massively overvalued or overhyped by its residents but the same residents bitch and complain about developments that would actually add value and some beauty to an older area.

That original proposed development is about 1000x better looking than what was built.

Oh well, you reap what you sow.
You absolutelly reap what you sow.

Will be interesting to see if CACA or the Protect Cathedral people decide to comment on the appearance.

As stated, the new three storey design didn't require a DU application and also, the change to just 8 units (all two storey) reduced the parking requirement enough so that the adjacent residential lot wasn't required to meet the stall count.

The 2016 city council was within one vote of approving the original project.
It was defeated 6 votes to 4, while a vote of 5 to 5 would have been treated as an approval.

Voting for:
Murray, Burnett, Flegel, O’Donnell.

Voting against:
Young, Fraser, Hawkins, Bryce, Findura, Fougere.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:37 PM

I’m glad Fougere is gone he actually destroyed the downtown I don’t one development was built when he was in power by by

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
I took several bags of recycling to the new Sarcan on Gordon Road in Harbour Landing this morning. No complaints about the building meeting its purpose, however, I feel bad for the tenants of the apartments immediately to the west of it. The two buildings are fairly close to each other, and blocks the view from many suites. The view they have is of the back of an industrial, metal-sided building that is so out of place. It's the worst-looking building in all of Harbour Landing! Who wants to be on the back side of a busy recycling centre with the noise, and possibly field mice, that are associated with it? Our city planning still leaves very much to question (like my fellow SSP followers know all too well).

Are you talking about on Parliament? That street is mostly commercial so I'd say that the apartment buildings are more out of place than anything but yeah, the planning that happens in areas that are basically a clean slate to start is pretty brutal all over the city.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:02 PM

It's only 14 weeks at Evraz for the new McDonalds construction.

https://twitter.com/evrazplacelive/s...40068421136385

Work started yesterday on the multi-use path at Arcola to connect it to Univ Park Drive. Good change. Expected to take 3 weeks.

https://www.regina.ca/service-notice...k-Drive-00001/

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Are you talking about on Parliament? That street is mostly commercial so I'd say that the apartment buildings are more out of place than anything but yeah, the planning that happens in areas that are basically a clean slate to start is pretty brutal all over the city.
Yes Parliament Avenue, and no, it's the commercial that is out of place here. There are hundreds of apartments to the west of Sarcan, as well as home directly across the street. I would hardly call Sarcan 'commercial' as it is more light industrial.

Brutal is a great descriptive of our city planning.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes Parliament Avenue, and no, it's the commercial that is out of place here. There are hundreds of apartments to the west of Sarcan, as well as home directly across the street. I would hardly call Sarcan 'commercial' as it is more light industrial.

Hopefully our new progressive council can find a way to ignore both the NIMBYs and the free market supporters to bring in sustainable zoning practices to this city. We can't always count on market forces to ensure we are doing the right thing for the future of our city.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:

Really not much different than Sarcan on Rochdale which is directly next door to an apartment building. That area is a mix of residential and commercial as well.

Isn't having a bottle return depot easy to walk to considered a good thing anyway? I'm sure there would be complaining if all the Sarcan locations were tucked away in inaccessible industrial areas. It's not like it's a factory or anything.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:17 PM

It's a SARCAN on a boulevard right next to the airport & rental apartments. It's not the end of the world.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
It's a SARCAN on a boulevard right next to the airport & rental apartments. It's not the end of the world.
Maybe some tall trees planted between would help a bit. But yeah, it’s right next to an airport. It’s also a new, bright and clean SARCAN which is a good thing. Luckily the loading doors are on the opposite side farther way from the apartments.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:55 PM
BANNED

I think the whole area just looks weird in its present state. Maybe we should judge once it starts to fill in. That business park still sucks as downtown should be where that kind of development is, same for industrial for those more traditional industrial areas. I know this is all framed as having employment closer to where people live but I’m not convinced that’s the whole story. You have to follow the money and the land developers make out like bandits since industrial and commercial is more profitable than residential, and the businesses themselves get to pay less in taxes and rent as our downtown and existing industrial areas continue to deteriorate.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I think the whole area just looks weird in its present state. Maybe we should judge once it starts to fill in. That business park still sucks as downtown should be where that kind of development is, same for industrial for those more traditional industrial areas. I know this is all framed as having employment closer to where people live but I’m not convinced that’s the whole story. You have to follow the money and the land developers make out like bandits since industrial and commercial is more profitable than residential, and the businesses themselves get to pay less in taxes and rent as our downtown and existing industrial areas continue to deteriorate.
And the new humane society will just add to the weirdness, in my opinion. You'll have a grocery store, an ugly hotel, WBM, the Humane Society, SARCAN, and high-density residential all on one side of Parliament in a matter of 3 blocks.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:16 PM

In other news, lots of work happening where the new Argyle/St. Pius schools will go.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there's a website with all the details about the new combined school: LINK

There's also a parking lot (pending council approval, I believe) that will be located on the NW corner of Lakeview Ave/Kings Rd. I've read some grumblings online about this lot, but that "green space" is home to a man-hole cover and a SaskTel LTE tower. I think a parking lot with some nice landscaping (as the proposal shows) would actually look better.

Last edited by TMB14; May 12, 2021 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
In other news, lots of working happening where the new Argyle/St. Pius schools will go.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there's a website with all the details about the new combined school: LINK

There's also a parking lot (pending council approval, I believe) that will be located on the NW corner of Lakeview Ave/Kings Rd. I've read some grumblings online about this lot, but that "green space" is home to a man-hole cover and a SaskTel LTE tower. I think a parking lot with some nice landscaping (as the proposal shows) would actually look better.
The design looks really good! I wonder what the plan is for the soon to be former St. Pius X land next to Christ The King Church. Apartment buildings and park?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
In other news, lots of working happening where the new Argyle/St. Pius schools will go.

That new school is decent looking. Looking forward to it. I live less than a block away from the proposed parking lot. I actually think you are right about that looking better than what’s there now, but definitely only with good landscaping.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:13 AM

Quote:
That new school is decent looking. Looking forward to it. I live less than a block away from the proposed parking lot. I actually think you are right about that looking better than what’s there now, but definitely only with good landscaping.
I'm in the area too and walk by that corner at least once per day (depends on how much energy the dog has to burn.)

I also believe there will be overhead pedestrian crossing lights at that corner to allow staff to cross with ease. I'd also like to see no street parking on Kings Rd, because as it is now with Sandcastles Childcare and staff, it's way too packed.

While I'm at it, I'd love for there to be pedestrian crossing lights at Hill Ave/Kings Rd as well. With more pedestrian traffic (kids) in the area with the new school, the city really has to prioritize pedestrian safety.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
The design looks really good! I wonder what the plan is for the soon to be former St. Pius X land next to Christ The King Church. Apartment buildings and park?

Seeing as most of the land is provincially owned, it's really hard to say. I could see a modern version of "Lakeview Estates" (located at 22nd/Retallack) which I believe was the site of a school once upon a time.

With property sales/prices soaring in and around Lakeview, I'm sure whatever goes there will be sought after.

Last edited by TMB14; May 12, 2021 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:57 AM

Quote:
It appears they plan on adding a lot of trees around the lot, as seen here.

Obviously, it'll take time for the trees to grow. I wish there was access to larger trees for planting around Regina. I have a few trees I'd like to plant in my yard but I can't seem to find anything with a diameter bigger than a few inches.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:53 AM

Quote:

I did the same last week and had essentially the same reaction/thoughts as you.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:37 PM

The bonus of having that parking lot is that in non-school hours (weekend, etc), it can hopefully be used for people using the park/baseball/soccer fields.

Also, for anyone interested, this build is not a P3 build like the three most recent combined schools. It will be owned and operated fully by the two school divisions (which gives them more control over the initial design).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan