HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 2:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
2 points:

1. What part about "Mask advisory" is so hard for a certain group of elected leaders to understand? I don't get the need for top-down, authoritarian-style decrees that we all know creates WAY more backlash and instability than it is worth. What are we achieving here other than settling scores? Next time Flu season arrives, or next time the next COVID wave hits, they should instead issue "mask advisories". I bet you that it will lead to plenty of compliance without all of the outrage. Heck, I'll probably wear one more often--it's nice to know that I am making my own decisions.

2. Making a Flu variant extinct: believe it or not, this may not be a good thing. What we know about nature is that every niche gets filled by some new species/subspecies. Now that a niche has opened up, something else will eventually fill its place, and it could potentially be something we don't have a lot of immunity do. It's better to let the viruses that we have dealt with for millennia continue to circulate through the population.
Agree 100% with the bolded statement. We will never get rid of viruses. They have been around since the founding of life. They interact with all life forms, and are found in all ecosystems. They are by far the most numerous biological entity in existence.

Each person is harboring around 380 trillion viruses right now [ 10 times as the number of Bacteria] as we speak, millions of species. Many simply co-exist with you. [ FYI in your gastrointestinal tract alone you harbor over 2 pounds of bacteria, a kilogram or a bit more]

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...t%20with%20you.

"The human body is a super organism of cohabitating cells, bacteria, fungi, and most numerous of all viruses."

" Today we routinely talk about the "good" and "bad" bacteria in our lives, Viruses fall into the same category's."

Ever swam in the ocean? You are swimming in a virus soup.

https://theconversation.com/marine-v...2C000%20metres.

The oceans contain 10 to the 31st power of viruses [ one nonillion], More than stars in our universe. Enough to assign each star in the universe 100 million times over.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ns-coronavirus

If all of the viruses on earth were laid end to end, they would stretch for 100 million light years,
https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro2644

This information was not known about viruses during Ped's time as a doctor. This is kind of newer more modern information. A bit over a decade ago doctors and researchers were barely aware the human virome existed. Latest numbers are saying almost or more than half of all of the biological matter in your body is not human.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-4367...22%20he%20says.

Last edited by bnk; Feb 21, 2022 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 10:28 PM

Portland employers continue to cower in their sad covid caves of despair. City employees are expected back in the office by the end of April and Nike does not plan to return until May. Meanwhile on the east coast, Eric Adams and Michelle Wu are calling their city employees back right now. At least they are putting their money where their mouth is. Too bad CEOs aren't feeling the vibe.

Last edited by pdxtex; Feb 21, 2022 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:29 AM
No grabbing my banana!

Just came back from a mini vacation to Las Vegas. It's a total relief not to be forced to wear a mask everywhere there. This weekend was fairly crowded with President's Day and a mid-winter recess for school kids. I would say mask-wearing rate was around 10-20%, so I basically didn't bother at all.

Anyway, I'm back to wearing a mask on the subway, inside supermarkets, and at my office 5 days a week now in NYC.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 1:31 PM

^ There’s no way I would go to an office if they made me wear a mask. It’s bad enough when you have to do it for something you enjoy (like travel by plane).

Just tell them to call you when they drop the mask rule, until then you’ll be working from home.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:39 PM
The City

^ I wear a mask at work, have done it since March 2020.

Difference is, when I am sitting in my office I don't wear it. Just when I go out to see patients. So it's not that bad at all

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:58 PM

My work still has a "masks on when out of your office" rule, but I'm inside my office the vast majority of the day. I actually have a "work mask" (has a logo on it) which I only wear in the office.

My "home mask" is mostly for when I take the bus these days, since there's mandatory masking rules there. Though I like wearing it outside on cold days. I started not wearing it when I go into stores based upon context (if the employees and most of the customers mask, I will, otherwise, no).

Other than making my glasses fog up, and making the bottom part of my beard look stupid, I don't see what the hassle is with wearing a mask TBH. Yeah, it's mostly hygiene theatre at this point, but it's just developed into a social norm in some situations, and it likely will continue for another month or two.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I wear a mask at work, have done it since March 2020.

Difference is, when I am sitting in my office I don't wear it. Just when I go out to see patients. So it's not that bad at all
You’re a doctor. Your job entails seeing lots of sick and elderly people.

It’s arguable whether it’s justified for a regular consult or most patients, and there’s no reason people should be wearing them for office or other jobs.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You’re a doctor. Your job entails seeing lots of sick and elderly people.

It’s arguable whether it’s justified for a regular consult or most patients, and there’s no reason people should be wearing them for office or other jobs.
It is ridiculous at this point. But the worst is our kids are still being forced to wear them all day in school.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ There’s no way I would go to an office if they made me wear a mask. It’s bad enough when you have to do it for something you enjoy (like travel by plane).

Just tell them to call you when they drop the mask rule, until then you’ll be working from home.
You would if you had to. I was supposed to go back to work in January where masks were required at all times except eating and conference rooms but they pushed WFH until the summer where I hope the mask BS will be over by then. Including getting on a plane.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:49 PM

My office requires proof of vaccination so I haven't worn a mask inside since I returned to the office last summer. The only requirement is to wear masks in shared areas of the building (lobby, elevators, hallways, etc).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:50 PM
Ex Houstonian

Its crazy to me that many people still are forced to wear masks and kids at schools when covid poses virtually 0 threat to them.

But many people still live in fear of this crap. On CNN right now there are these fear mongering articles.

As Omicron cases fall, doctors anxiously await possible surge of dangerous child complication MIS-C

Why I'm scared about mask mandate rollbacks

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:52 PM

If I worked in a school I'd want those little germ factories masked until they got vaccinated.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:57 PM
video et taceo

Iceland is about to become the first country, I think, to not only waive its domestic COVID requirements, but those for travellers as well.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If I worked in a school I'd want those little germ factories masked until they got vaccinated.
Why? It’s like you guys don’t get it. Even if you’re vaccinated you still get the virus.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:11 PM

Our company is only worried about getting sued by a state health agency. Company offices in Idaho and Utah, no mask required. But ppl are dropping like flies in Oregon. Ooookay.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Why? It’s like you guys don’t get it. Even if you’re vaccinated you still get the virus.
Exactly. The kids pose a risk to the adults that run the school.

I was triple vaxxed and got it, so I do understand that the vaccine isn't impenetrable. But until omicron, it was extremely effective at reducing spread.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Exactly, I can't even count how many people I know that had 2 shots and a booster and still got infected. Most barely got sick and certainly had no real complications, but transmission still occurs to those who are vaccinated. And we have silly mask mandates, which clearly do nothing. There is no reason to force anyone to wear a mask in school or anywhere for that matter. If somone is obese or immunocompromised, they should get special treatment or stay home, but for the vast majority of us, there is no purpose to any of this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the absolutely absurd contagiousness of omicron really proved how silly the masks are.

fucking everybody and their brother got omicron here in chicago despite all the masking.

get your shots.

or don't.

then move the fuck on.

this is our world now.

yes, some people will get sick and die.

that is true.

but that has always been true.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

The plague will touch all.

Yeah same here in PA. A ton of folks. Masks, face shields, double masks... did nothing. They all got it.

I had my Covid positive GF cough in my mouth (I knew she was positive but she still came over), and didn't feel nothing days after. Why? The power of Pfizer!

This has always been a right of passage. The virus will cull the weak and those not slated for a ticket to continue in this century. That's how nature works. But thanks to vaccines and our immune system, life continues.

This has been occurring since the era where we used bones and rocks as tools. 7.9 billion folks in the present, we are still around.

On a side note, but historically, Malaria has been terrible. Malaria is probally more of a threat than Covid. Covid might of killed more in an acute sense in terms of the last two years but Malaria continues its spree and has been for 1000's of years. Billions of folks dead throughout our history due to Malaria.

Mosquitos are the enemy of the people. No convoys on that.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Just came back from a mini vacation to Las Vegas. It's a total relief not to be forced to wear a mask everywhere there. This weekend was fairly crowded with President's Day and a mid-winter recess for school kids. I would say mask-wearing rate was around 10-20%, so I basically didn't bother at all.

Anyway, I'm back to wearing a mask on the subway, inside supermarkets, and at my office 5 days a week now in NYC.
I just came back from a mini vacation in Mexico. Bars, restaurants, hotels were packed to the gills. I also saw 4 cruise ships come and go. None of the tourists were wearing masks and very few locals wore a mask. California dropped their 2 month long indoor mask mandate on 2/15. Most places I have been going to in San Diego have not been requiring or enforcing the use of masks at their place of business before the expiration date, unless it was a big national chain type place.

Because I flew in and out of Tijuana, a covid test was not required on either end of the trip. Apparently Covid doesn't cross the border on foot, it's science! My friends that got a Covid test to re-enter the US weren't ask to show their results. I filled out a health questionnaire from a Mexican official government website and I was never asked to show that upon entering Mexico.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions