HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Didn't get a chance to snap a picture from the bus, but there is a large drilling machine working on the site today, as well as a pretty big stack of steel beams
I saw it too, super stoked! It’s gonna be almost up against St Mary’s bridge, it’s going to change the feel driving by there in a great way

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:07 PM
surely you agree with me

nice to see it happen. I wonder if the design has evolved at all.

Even a better rendering would help.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 10:58 PM

Chain link fencing around the entire property now.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 12:09 AM

Sick. This and the St Mary’s Rd towers happening concurrently are gonna be fun items to follow over the next years.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 7:34 PM
keep the good times going

Passed by on the bus earlier today - wasn't able to snap a picture, but they have begun excavation and it looks like they are 1-2 stories down already.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Passed by on the bus earlier today - wasn't able to snap a picture, but they have begun excavation and it looks like they are 1-2 stories down already.
Yea I passed by as well today it looks like they’ve been working on it for awhile just haven’t been downtown in a while to see lol.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 8:55 PM

i walk the bridge daily and from that view there's not a ton of activity (at least around 430-500). i'll be sure to post pics once i do see something

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 9:36 PM

hopefully visible construction activity in that spot encourages the powers that be to tear down that burnt out house two spots down and pile of rubble that is the former penguin apartments. how has that site been allowed to languish away in that state for so long? the city just forced a similar site on sherbrook to be cleaned up.. they should use the same tactic here now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 2:54 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Yes, they have excavated a significant portion of the foundation and have shoring walls in. It looks like a real construction site now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
hopefully visible construction activity in that spot encourages the powers that be to tear down that burnt out house two spots down and pile of rubble that is the former penguin apartments. how has that site been allowed to languish away in that state for so long? the city just forced a similar site on sherbrook to be cleaned up.. they should use the same tactic here now.
Apparently the adjoining land (the giant vacant lot) belongs to Manitoba Housing. I wonder if somehow the burnt out house is also somehow on provincial property? When I contacted 311 about the overgrown weeds all over that vacant lot, they wrote back:

"Good morning, thanks for reaching out. This property is owned Manitoba Housing, and By-law Enforcement Services doesn't have jurisdiction on these properties. To have your concerns addressed, you can contact Manitoba Housing directly at 204-945-4663."

(Hilariously, MB Housing claimed they had no vacant lots or properties on Mayfair).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 3:59 PM

It's not vacant. It's a burnt out house lol Seriously that's what they're saying.

Any news on the giant void of empty Manitoba Housing land across the street?

This past summer, Manitoba Housing also demolished their complex on Panet near Talbot. They also demo'd one building on Watt St. Are they just clearing out old stock and not replacing?? Or just taking forever.

I'm sure this is not unique to just my small area of Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:03 PM

I don't understand why there hasn't been more coverage in the media on these vacant/burnt out properties on Mayfair. There has been plenty of (justifiable) concern about piles of rubble from recent fires in the West End, but not what's left of Regina House, despite the fire having been longer ago, and it being next to both a youth services center (The Link) and an elementary school.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:37 PM

^ That whole area is a bit of a wasteland, there aren't many homeowners there to kick up a fuss the same way there would be in an area with a lot of SFHs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:44 PM

Perfect time to create a neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Perfect time to create a neighbourhood.
It's a crazy good location even if it doesn't feel like it now.

Main/Mayfair is pretty pedestrian hostile right now but I think the city is planning to reconfigure that area a bit as they do the revamp of Main for BRT.

You're next to a school, a stone's throw from the Forks, rapid transit, it's close to both OV and not that far from the Dominion Centre...

Imagine a couple of those West Broadway Commons buildings plunked in on that site with mixed affordable and market suites. Yes, it's right next to The Link, but WBC is also right near various social services too

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:43 PM

It's a fantastic location. Too bad it's a thoroughfare to downtown from the SW. But that could be dealt with appropriately. When the BRT goes over Main, there should be room for a larger intersection with Stradbrook. Direct all through traffic to that point instead of using Mayfair to get to downtown.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
It's not vacant. It's a burnt out house lol Seriously that's what they're saying.

Any news on the giant void of empty Manitoba Housing land across the street?

This past summer, Manitoba Housing also demolished their complex on Panet near Talbot. They also demo'd one building on Watt St. Are they just clearing out old stock and not replacing?? Or just taking forever.

I'm sure this is not unique to just my small area of Manitoba.
According to the Manitoba Housing Action 2020 3 year action plan the Panet Road land was being sold to Habitat for Humanity for them to redevelop. The existing 18 units are to be replaced by 28 Units.

Watt St land is to be redeveloped by Wahbung Abinoonjiiag Inc and the existing 11 unit site will be replaced with a 24 unit building.

The report did not say when construction was to start but with demo being in the fall of 2022 I wonder if it will start this spring?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:43 PM

Nice, thanks for the info.

So those are still subsidized rental type things? Or is the HfH site being given to the new owners?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Nice, thanks for the info.

So those are still subsidized rental type things? Or is the HfH site being given to the new owners?
Report does not say as far as I can see. I would guess that that Habitat site will be sold to the home owners as I don't think that they are in the rental business, but I could be wrong

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 1:49 PM

Piles are sticking up from the ground right now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan