HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 3:16 PM

So which are the "bad five" routes?

My bets are on the 11, 15, 16 and 18. What's the fifth?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I believe it was the 20

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 4:20 PM

My bet would be 12, 15, 16, 17 and 18.

Many years ago I commuted by transit and on some days the 17 was my alternate bus and it was definitely interesting even then and the 16 definitely had a reputation back then as a route you really did not want to take.

Not sure the Henderson-St James routes like the 11 have that same level of issues.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 4:23 PM

I figured the 11 would be up there just because of the sheer volume of people riding it, and it does pass through some dodgier areas.

I used to commute on the 16 to Tyndall Park when I was still a student (mainly when I missed the 31) and I never saw anything truly odd or alarming. Although I heard it could get a little wild later at night. Mind you this was 20 years ago, I gather that things have changed since then, ha.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:25 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure 90% of the trouble on those routes occur when heading north of downtown.

It's been ages since I rode transit (used to ride often in 90s and 2000s), until I moved, however there are the routes I took:

18- Downtown to River heights (almost zero problems)

16- Downtown to Osborne South (very few problems)

11- City Hall to Polo Park (very few problems)

15- Downtown to St.James Industrial area (occasional issue, but personally never affected).

The most bizarre experience I had on Transit was meeting friends at the Olive Garden roughly 20 years ago in St James, while taking the 11. I was sitting down, minding my own business. I admit I take after a family member, who on occasion, bites their nails (nervous habit). This man roughly early 50s, sitting behind me, slapped me on the back of the head.

When I turned around, he said "its a filthy habit." I did a double take, and said in amazement, "did you just hit me?" Considering I'm 6'2/210, the man realised that maybe that was not such a hot idea, and told me "well I used to do it too, but stopped." I glared at him for several seconds, and pretty much told him not to ever touch me again, unless he had an issue with me.

He looked really uncomfortable after that, and went to the front of the bus. There are some very weird people taking transit. The bizarre thing is, this guy wasn't drunk, or exhibiting signs of mental health issues...he could have passed as anyone's Dad.

----

Other than that, most negative experiences were waiting for the bus at stops. The infamous "crying lady" was the most annoying. When I was waiting for the 18 near the Bay Downtown, she was crying about being hungry. I had an extra orange and sandwich, so I gave her it. She threw the Orange at me, and shouted "I WANT MONEY!!" It was hilarious.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Mar 7, 2023 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:31 PM

^ Yeah, the problems on the 16 probably aren't happening on South Osborne.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:50 PM

Here is the list from Free Press report of the mayor's state of the city address March 2/22

"The mayor’s office said routes 11, 15, 16, 18 and 47 combined to account for 44 per cent of assault and unruly passenger incidents, based on average counts between 2019 and October 2022."

I would have thought the 20 would have been in the top five for its routing along Main st.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Here is the list from Free Press report of the mayor's state of the city address March 2/22

"The mayor’s office said routes 11, 15, 16, 18 and 47 combined to account for 44 per cent of assault and unruly passenger incidents, based on average counts between 2019 and October 2022."

I would have thought the 20 would have been in the top five for its routing along Main st.
I'm of the opinion that no matter what routes go through the North End, they will account for a significant percentage of criminal behaviour. It's not really the route. It's the areas the routes go through.

I would not want to take any of those routes after dark on a weekend going into the North End.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm of the opinion that no matter what routes go through the North End, they will account for a significant percentage of criminal behaviour. It's not really the route. It's the areas the routes go through.

I would not want to take any of those routes after dark on a weekend going into the North End.
North end downtown. Many attacks on buses and bus stops take place downtown.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Public transit across North America is becoming sad and dismal including here!

https://news.yahoo.com/l-riders-bail...120007450.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Public transit across North America is becoming sad and dismal including here!

https://news.yahoo.com/l-riders-bail...120007450.html
Not shocking, but it is depressing. We seem to be trending in a direction across North America where public realms are becoming like this, and anything nice is reserved for those who can pay.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:26 PM

Well well well all those years of underinvesting in public transit all throughout the continent has long term consequences who would’ve thought.

I wonder why we never hear about stories like this in Europe or Asia?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Well well well all those years of underinvesting in public transit all throughout the continent has long term consequences who would’ve thought.

Is it really about underinvestment in public transit, though? In the case of LA, they have built an entire subway/light rail network from scratch in the last 33 years. Billions and billions of dollars.

But what good is massive transit infrastructure spending when it becomes a catch all for everyone who falls through society's cracks (drug users, the homeless, criminals and mentally ill) and scares off commuters, to the point where the service becomes a barely-used money pit?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:12 PM

Trending toward Elysium. Watched that again this weekend.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

People are civilized there, pretty simple!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is it really about underinvestment in public transit, though? In the case of LA, they have built an entire subway/light rail network from scratch in the last 33 years. Billions and billions of dollars.

But what good is massive transit infrastructure spending when it becomes a catch all for everyone who falls through society's cracks (drug users, the homeless, criminals and mentally ill) and scares off commuters, to the point where the service becomes a barely-used money pit?
Drugs, mental health, poverty, inequality, liberalism, thug culture, wokeism, ....

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Drugs, mental health, poverty, inequality, conservatism, thug culture, capitalism, ....
Fixed it for you.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Drugs, mental health, poverty, inequality, liberalism, thug culture, wokeism, ....
It will be the down fall of our society. Drugs, while still illegal have pretty much been normalized and Ok'd by society. We are not supposed to speak negatively of drug use or else be labeled intolerant or a facist. Any talk of personal responsibility and accountability is frowned upon. The blame of peoples poor behaviour is always to be placed some where else. This is what wokeism is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Fixed it for you.
Yeah, because no where in Europe or Asia are capitalist.

A coworker of mine just got back from some time in Medellin and Panama. Said both cities have good public transportation. No drunks, junkies or beggars anywhere to be seen, and these are cities in third world countries.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
It will be the down fall of our society. Drugs, while still illegal have pretty much been normalized and Ok'd by society. We are not supposed to speak negatively of drug use or else be labeled intolerant or a facist. Any talk of personal responsibility and accountability is frowned upon. The blame of peoples poor behaviour is always to be placed some where else. This is what wokeism is doing.
Yes, this is the downfall of society. That we apparently somehow can't talk negatively about people using drugs (although, almost as if by magic, we talk negatively about people doing drugs all the time with no repercussions).

The downfall of society is absolutely not our relentless pursuit of growth above all else while casting those aside who we feel can't or shouldn't keep up and conform (the root cause of the drug use).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
A coworker of mine just got back from some time in Medellin and Panama. Said both cities have good public transportation. No drunks, junkies or beggars anywhere to be seen, and these are cities in third world countries.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/23...avage-medellin

Not sure there's some easy effective policy response out there that we've just missed. In many of these places, the "solution" isn't one that we'd really want to see...

-- Push the problem out of the core and into favelas?
-- Execute or "disappear" drug dealers and users?
-- Enforce peace through cartel-police collusion?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan