HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 7:19 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Second that.

One of the most iconic Canadian logos.
I agree fully. As a kid, I'd remember them by that logo, but as a result I wondered if I should call them the "Bay" or the "May".

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 5:21 AM
Mooderator

Why is "Skip the Dishes" just "Skip"?

At first I thought it was just for the Quebec market (to get rid of those ugly two additional words), but it's everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 12:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

At first I thought it was just for the Quebec market (to get rid of those ugly two additional words), but it's everywhere.
just like their stupid adverts on every fucking iphone game ("Did somebody say "Skip"?)

I don't think the market can support three delivery services (Skip, UberEats, Doordash)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 12:51 PM

Yeah, that Bay logo is iconic, but it got dated. I do like their wordmark logo and the coat of arms logo. Not to mention the beautiful coloured stripes. I think they use those in appropriate amounts. Like I wouldn't want the coat of arms to be the primary logo that shows on the outside of the store.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 12:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ok, the Bay icon was iconic, but it never looked like a B to me!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 12:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I also hate it when they shorten city names.

T.Dot is one of the worst.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:05 PM

I never liked T dot. But I do like a lot of other shortened names, some that are practical and some that are for jokes. I'll say Van or Freddy or K Town or The Falls or Peg or Peg City, etc. Some are practical and some are just cool.

I'll say Scarbs for Scarboro because that's cool. But me and my circle of people will sometimes say Etobes for Etobicoke, not because it's cool, but because it sounds funny. Or if I'm going to Kitchener Waterloo, which is essentialy one city in many aspects, I'll say I'm going to K-dubs.

And I love alternate basketball jerseys where they use the abbreviation, airport code or nickname like Phila, PHX, PDX, ORL, NOLA, OKC, The Town, The Beach, The Land, etc. CLT (Clit) for Charlotte not so much. Thank God the Raptors never put T Dot on the jersey. I wonder if they'll ever put THE SIX or YYZ on their city edition jersey that teams wear once a year.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

"Skip the Dishes" is long and awkward as a company name. SKIP is short, to the point and fits nicely into a smartphone icon.

I remember getting a call from a recruiter about a decade ago back when Skip the Dishes ("STD"?) was going through its initial growth phase, and even then he kept calling it Skip.

I'm not a fan of this service, I used it a couple of times in my life. Maybe if you don't have a car it makes sense on some level, but for most people it's silly. It blows my mind when I go to 7-Eleven and I see Skip the Dishes drivers there to pick up Slurpees or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Thank God the Raptors never put T Dot on the jersey. I wonder if they'll ever put THE SIX or YYZ on their city edition jersey that teams wear once a year.
T Dot makes me think of the days of the Baby Blue Sound Crew back when Choclair was Drake

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:56 PM

Damn, Baby Blue Soundcrew. That takes me back to when me and my friends would listen to their mix tapes or CDs. One of my best friend's cousin knew those guys.

T Dot also reminds me of Kardinal's song Bakardi Slang. When I was at Windsor studying and we'd go out to party Downtown at Peppers or whatever club, when that song and Maestro's 416/905 Party Anthem would come on, you could spot who was from the GTA.

And shoutout to Choclair. One of the smoothest rappers of all time. I feel like he would be a much bigger name if he came up now.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 17, 2023 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I never liked T dot. But I do like a lot of other shortened names, some that are practical and some that are for jokes. I'll say Van or Freddy or K Town or The Falls or Peg or Peg City, etc. Some are practical and some are just cool.

I'll say Scarbs for Scarboro because that's cool. But me and my circle of people will sometimes say Etobes for Etobicoke, not because it's cool, but because it sounds funny. Or if I'm going to Kitchener Waterloo, which is essentialy one city in many aspects, I'll say I'm going to K-dubs.

And I love alternate basketball jerseys where they use the abbreviation, airport code or nickname like Phila, PHX, PDX, ORL, NOLA, OKC, The Town, The Beach, The Land, etc. CLT (Clit) for Charlotte not so much. Thank God the Raptors never put T Dot on the jersey. I wonder if they'll ever put THE SIX or YYZ on their city edition jersey that teams wear once a year.
O-Town for Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:57 PM

Monkeytown represent.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 5:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
"Skip the Dishes" is long and awkward as a company name. SKIP is short, to the point and fits nicely into a smartphone icon.

I remember getting a call from a recruiter about a decade ago back when Skip the Dishes ("STD"?) was going through its initial growth phase, and even then he kept calling it Skip.

I'm not a fan of this service, I used it a couple of times in my life. Maybe if you don't have a car it makes sense on some level, but for most people it's silly. It blows my mind when I go to 7-Eleven and I see Skip the Dishes drivers there to pick up Slurpees or whatever.
There is a (decently nice) ice cream place near us called Chocolats Favoris, and every time I am there I see delivery guys for one of those companies. I mean I assume they have insulated bags but still how great is your ice cream gonna be if they're driving 10-15 minutes to your place on a summer day when it's 33C? Boggles my mind.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 6:01 PM
arf

Quote:
There is a (decently nice) ice cream place near us called Chocolats Favoris, and every time I am there I see delivery guys for one of those companies. I mean I assume they have insulated bags but still how great is your ice cream gonna be if they're driving 10-15 minutes to your place on a summer day when it's 33C? Boggles my mind.
Actually, you'd be surprised. When I lived in St. Louis, I would walk over to the ice cream place with a little thermos insulated lunchkit with a couple of the freezer packs in it to bring ice cream home. Worked very well.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

é can be shorthand for Montréal. Just for New Brisavoine.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:13 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
just like their stupid adverts on every fucking iphone game ("Did somebody say "Skip"?)

I don't think the market can support three delivery services (Skip, UberEats, Doordash)
Unless someone works 60 hour work weeks or has a disability why do so many use these services? I pickup food direct from the restaurant I order from. Round trip 10-12 minutes or less. The ones I order from regularly I'll leave a tip even for takeout as a sign of appreciation.
These services while offering "convenience" are vultures to the restaurants and the workers.

My one friend that did Uber/Lyft on the side told me "You don't make any money (nothing worthwhile anyway) doing food delivery driving for UberEats. Me and my wife use it as time away from the kids"

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:24 PM

I use them when driving would be irresponsible

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Unless someone works 60 hour work weeks or has a disability why do so many use these services? I pickup food direct from the restaurant I order from. Round trip 10-12 minutes or less. The ones I order from regularly I'll leave a tip even for takeout as a sign of appreciation.
These services while offering "convenience" are vultures to the restaurants and the workers.

My one friend that did Uber/Lyft on the side told me "You don't make any money (nothing worthwhile anyway) doing food delivery driving for UberEats. Me and my wife use it as time away from the kids"
Not sure about the drivers as I don't know anyone who does that, but from what I've heard among my friends who own restaurants, they really are "vultures" in that case. Though they almost don't have a choice and have to deal with them.

There is talk in Quebec of reining them in for this very reason.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:50 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I use them when driving would be irresponsible
Fair, I forgot about that. I usually keep my imbibing to after dinner, unless it's summertime

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:54 PM

Quote:
O-Town for Ottawa.
I won't say that due to negative association. O-Town is also a band from Orlando that was managed by Lou Pearlman, who turned out to be a major pedo.

I wonder if anyone has ever referred to Ottawa as Cap City. There was a show I watched a few years ago that took place in a town outside Atlanta and Jason Bateman's character said they were going to Cap City. I assumed he meant the capital of the state.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada