HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 9:39 PM
Mulan M.

Smile NEW YORK | Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Innovation Campus | 16 + 13 + 4 FLOORS

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 9:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Sharp. I like how the Billie Holiday building has vaulted ceilings that look just like a subway station.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 12:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pretty legit.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

David Adjaye is becoming more of a presence around New York. I hope he get's to see his west side proposal built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 11:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

Never seen a David Adjaye project I didn't like.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/bed-st...-revamp-plans/

Office Tenants Anchor Starchitect David Adjaye’s Vision for World Class Bed Stuy Cultural Hub

Feb 24, 2023
by Cate Corcoran

Quote:
Prominent British architect David Adjaye’s vision for a world-class cultural hub in Bed Stuy will replace Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corp.’s fortress-like campus with one that is open to the community. In the works well before Covid and its office space disruptions, the project seeks to revamp a flawed and fraying structure and double the space for current and future office tenants.

Located at 1368 Fulton Street, the longtime physical and economic hub of the neighborhood is today low slung and inward facing, with tucked-away outdoor public spaces and windowless walls running along the street side.

That 1972 redevelopment of the neighborhood’s old Sheffield bottling plant will give way to three outward facing buildings as tall as 16 stories, grouped around a central plaza that will be visible and accessible to the street. Today’s blank walls will be replaced by large, inviting, pedestrian-friendly windows at the street level. The project’s smallest building, in the center of the complex, will project over a petite transparent base designed to provide maximum visibility into the courtyard.
Quote:
The proposal will require the lengthy public approval process known as ULURP for a rezoning (from C4-5D to C6-2) and special permit to allow increased density and height. A draft scope of work and other documents were released in January, a virtual scoping meeting took place earlier this month, and written comments on the drafts can be submitted to City Planning through Monday, February 27.

Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corp., which among other things helps build and maintain affordable housing throughout the neighborhood, is not planning any apartments at this location, but the city’s affordable housing program known as Mandatory Inclusionary Housing may come up during the public review process, triggered by the project’s changes to floor-area ratio, according to City Planning documents.

If the proposal gets the green light, construction is expected to last at least eight years, The City reported in January. The first phase is anticipated to cost around $150 million to $175 million to build, and New York City has already said it will kick in $50 million, according to the publication.
Quote:
The existing complex was kept low to stay in keeping with Bed Stuy’s famed blocks of 19th century brownstones and townhouses. The new towers will be closer in height to newly constructed apartment buildings along Fulton and other busy avenues allowed by a 2012 rezoning of the area.

The phasing of construction will allow the complex’s gigantic Super Foodtown grocery store to stay open through construction, then quickly move into its new building on New York Avenue, minimizing downtime. The Billie Holiday Theatre and other existing tenants, including Community Board 3 and other government offices, as well as the development corporation’s own job training and other programs, will get bigger and better new homes, according to the organization.
Quote:
While the Sheffield bottling plant and other existing buildings will be razed, there will also be space for new tenants such as partners and other nonprofits with missions similar to Restoration Corp. Their rents could potentially bring in more revenue for the nonprofit.

Before the pandemic, prime office space appeared scarce on the ground in Brooklyn, propelling a handful of ambitious new-construction projects — including Dock 72 in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Williamsburg’s 25 Kent, and a glassy new office building rising inside the shell of the landmarked 1880s Domino Sugar factory on the Williamsburg waterfront — some of which now appear to be struggling. Funding for office projects may be more difficult than before Covid.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:54 PM

Is the white building going to be replaced? If so, it's a loss in my books. I like the older styles and they don't build it like they used to. The Applebees building can go, but the white building gives Bed-Stuy a lot of character. I don't hate Adjaye and I wish him a lot fo luck, but I just can't really see myself tearing down that white building even though his renderings are nice. I can only hope he incorporates the white building with this project but like I said, it would be a huge loss if it's torn down. My opinion!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 4:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Yes.

At first glance it seems lamentable but the building isn't nearly impressive as it looks. The base is badly mutilated and the rest of the facade is in pretty terrible shape. It looks like its kind of grand from a distance with the white facade and the arched windows, but honestly if this building is standing in theway of this awesome proposal I thinking its loss is justifiable. I understand the concern and sentiment but I'm not sure this one is worth crying over. The new conplex will be multitudes better than this old dairy ever was.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 6:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ and the rest is utter crapola, so good riddance.

a little teeth gritting with that historically classy white whale mess though.

also, on the condition the big grocery should be given space and replaced asap.

trying to remember the first i heard of adjaye. i think it was the theory building on gansevoort plaza in the meatpacking. i remember when i saw the render and thought, who is this guy — he gets it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 10:53 PM

^^^ I say all this as a former NYer & as a born & raised Brooklynite. The new proposal would've looked great if the land parcels were vacant or the buildings associated with it were badly dilapidated. If the white building is in great disrepair to the point where it can't be renovated, tear it down, but if it's still viable, then why not incorporate that building with the proposal?

I believe that the preservation movement here in NY, as well as in many cities have done a piss poor job when it comes to minority neighborhoods like Bed-Stuy. We can't save everything, but you would think that the preserve of the skyscraper plus the fact that Brooklyn is now building more skyscrapers in Downtown Brooklyn than I can remember, you would have more reason to preserve Brooklyn's classic streetscapes.

Here's an article about losing one of Bed-Stuy's treasures: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/25/r...r-mansion.html Like I said, the preservation movement is a small clique of how I should say this for lack of better terms, snobs of a particular group which lives in a particular borough, but it's expedient that NYC does a much better job protecting it's architectural treasures.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:15 AM
Show me the blueprints

9 times out of 10 I'm all about saving and re-incorporating an inpressive pre-war structure into a new larger development - even if that essentially means just the preservation and restoration of a reattached façade, or a "façadectomy." But I'll just reiterate that in my opinion this building just isn't that nice to begin with or even was ever all the impressive in all honesty. It reads as handsome no doubt - especially in a broader street context - but up close is just kind of unremarkable both as architecture and in its present condition. I just don't see its saving as justifiable, especially if the façade essentially requires complete rebuilding. And that's not even addressing whether the projects design program could even really accomodate it sensibly or practically in how they intend to use the new complex. I just don't see that it's worth the effort. The Roxy Theater or the Bancroft Building this is not.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:43 AM
New Yorker for life

This is not far from where I was born (couple of blocks) and lived, though I was in Queens before I was old enough to have any type of attachment to it. But when it comes to the "this building needs to be saved" crowd, nothing surprises me.

So I'm not at all surprised that some people think this building should be preserved in some way. It's the "it exists, therefore it should be saved" moment.

Debate all you will about the David Adjaye designs, but we seriously shouldn't be having a conversation about preserving this.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.brownstoner.com/neighbor...street-remake/

As Bed Stuy Booms, Restoration Corp. Taps David Adjaye to Revamp Plaza to Boost Longtime Locals

Quote:
Famed architect Sir David Adjaye has been selected as the master planner for the project, which seeks to redevelop the plaza as part of a five-year plan to “redefine Restoration’s role for the 21st century,” the Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation announced today. The goal is to level the economic playing field for Brooklynites of color as money pours into central Brooklyn.

Formerly the Sheffield Farms Milk Bottling Plant, the plaza opened in 1972, with 300,000 square feet of commercial space, including the Billie Holiday Theatre, the Skylight Gallery, one of the biggest grocery stores in Brooklyn, local businesses and nonprofits. A previous seven-year-long renovation of Restoration Plaza and other public plazas on Fulton Street, an effort to integrate it better with the neighborhood and streetscape, was completed in 2013.
Quote:
Established in 1967 by Robert F. Kennedy, with the cooperation of Senator Jacob K. Javits and Mayor John W. Lindsay and in collaboration with local activists, the Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corp. was the country’s first community development corporation. It was made up of ministers, lawyers, other professionals and community activists. The organization is still active, assisting residents with job training, financial issues including home ownership, and affordable housing units in the area.

Part of the plan is to build around the idea of four pillars that are core to the BSRC’s mission: a new Center for Personal Financial Health, a Center for Community Asset Building, a new Center for Social Entrepreneurship and Enterprise and the continued growth of RestorationART, with the Billie Holiday Theatre “as its cultural centerpiece.”
Quote:
Adjaye is an inspired choice for the project. The architect, who was born in Tanzania to Ghanaian diplomatic parents, designed the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington D.C. and the Sugar Hill mixed-use development in Harlem, among many other projects. In Brooklyn, he designed the Clinton Hill studio of artist Lorna Simpson.

Adjaye was just one aspect of the initial proposals the BSRC considered for the project. When he came for the interview, he walked around the premises before meeting with them and then did again after. “We were really struck with how much enthusiasm he had for the project, and how much he was willing to invest personally,” Grannum says, meaning that a portion of the work he is doing on the project will be without charge. “His personal mission aligned with our organizational mission.”

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Approval is expected to be in place by next year...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals