HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The train stations are inside the highway median? How does that work for convenience ?
It doesn’t work at all for convenience. The entrance is via sidewalks underneath the highway and LRT overpass. There is no residential, retail or commercial close by. I don’t know if the bus will stop underneath the overpass and block lanes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 7:14 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Sure it's convenient... for the people building it. Just not for the people using it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 7:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Imagine taking Durham Regional Transit to Pickering Town Centre then using the overpass to access the Go Train on the other side of Highway 401. It’s like that. ._.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The train stations are inside the highway median? How does that work for convenience ?

...and now the music is stuck in your head.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:46 PM
ハルウララ

If you thought O-Train Stage 1 was fun wait until we get O-Train Stage 2 East.

Stage 2 West is at least through relatively urban neighbourhoods with stations not in highway medians.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If you thought O-Train Stage 1 was fun wait until we get O-Train Stage 2 East.

Stage 2 West is at least through relatively urban neighbourhoods with stations not in highway medians.
When I was younger, I used to wonder why they didn't utilize the various highway medians for rapid transit. Take the 401 through Toronto. Stops at each exit; about 2km between each, would likely work well. Same for the Gardiner. No real reason that it also couldn't work along the 417/174

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
When I was younger, I used to wonder why they didn't utilize the various highway medians for rapid transit. Take the 401 through Toronto. Stops at each exit; about 2km between each, would likely work well. Same for the Gardiner. No real reason that it also couldn't work along the 417/174
The main issue with this is that you're getting off the train at highway exit ramps and not places that someone needs to be. The point of building a subway on something like Yonge or Bloor is not only so that there's direct developments integrated with the transit system itself but also so that pedestrians don't need to walk over 15 lanes of highway traffic simply to get closer to where they need to go.

Once you get off the subway at 401 & Victoria Park where are you walking to? It's miles to anything of use.

How do you integrate local buses into the highway-median subway stations? Similar to Sheppard West or Warden.

Ottawa already sort-of has this problem in a station like Pimisi, which is on one avenue connecting to an even wider avenue. Once you're out of the station you either need to cross that avenue to get to anything or walk along another road for a decent bit before reaching something else. There's bus stops on the main road but they're not bays or a station for them.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The main issue with this is that you're getting off the train at highway exit ramps and not places that someone needs to be. The point of building a subway on something like Yonge or Bloor is not only so that there's direct developments integrated with the transit system itself but also so that pedestrians don't need to walk over 15 lanes of highway traffic simply to get closer to where they need to go.

Once you get off the subway at 401 & Victoria Park where are you walking to? It's miles to anything of use.

How do you integrate local buses into the highway-median subway stations? Similar to Sheppard West or Warden.

Ottawa already sort-of has this problem in a station like Pimisi, which is on one avenue connecting to an even wider avenue. Once you're out of the station you either need to cross that avenue to get to anything or walk along another road for a decent bit before reaching something else. There's bus stops on the main road but they're not bays or a station for them.
I'd imagine there would be bus bays under the stations. Many of the areas beside the highways have already gotten fairly dense that walking to that station would not be that onerous.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I'd imagine there would be bus bays under the stations. Many of the areas beside the highways have already gotten fairly dense that walking to that station would not be that onerous.
So...you're suggesting at-grade subway stations in highway medians with below-grade bus stations? Sounds like a lot of hassle when subways or LRTs could instead be built on busy roads in already built-up urban areas. Eglinton, Finch, Don Mills...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
So...you're suggesting at-grade subway stations in highway medians with below-grade bus stations? Sounds like a lot of hassle when subways or LRTs could instead be built on busy roads in already built-up urban areas. Eglinton, Finch, Don Mills...
No, I am suggesting something where above the highway, some sort of grade separated RT cruises along and stopping at stations that have a fare zone spot for buses to pull into to allow passengers to change modes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 2:06 PM
gettin' rich!

Ontario Line New Renderings New Renderings Found on Twitter Yesterday

Transit Toronto - Twitter

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:30 PM

Expressway rapid transit is not competitive with car travel on the same expressway, because a car easily exits to reach a destination. Transferring off of expressway rapid transit line usually is less seamless, often requiring a lengthy walk across the highway to even reach another transit route. It is often very difficult to retrofit an existing overpass to allow for convenient transfers or it is not practical to actually build the station right at an overpass.

Ottawa's Confed Line follows the Queensway for most of the east branch as well as the west part of the west branch. Even though some stations incorporate expressway pedestrian connections, they are a long walk. I have heard complaints about one of those pedestrian overpasses, that it doesn't actually lead you beyond the expressway, in other words, to an actual destination. In many cases, stations are not located at an overpass but to one side or another, often for practical reasons. It may not be possible to integrate a station into an existing overpass and there may be another destination such as shopping centre that is more important destination.

What I am saying that a freeway LRT line cannot necessarily be integrated into the existing transit grid for a variety of reasons, which limits seamless transfers.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:48 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I took these yesterday. We're seeing more progress slowly on the Eglinton Crosstown.
One of the walls at Eglinton station came down showing the escalator access for the LRT platforms that are below the existing subway station. I took these yesterday:
Crosstown Connection by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Crosstown Connection by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Now all they need to do is make the rest of the station look almost as nice as this new access and we'll be golden.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:26 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Toronto, Eglinton Crosstown

Walking along the Eglinton Crosstown route today, I couldn't help but notice they've really done alot of landscaping work by Sunnybrook Park, and the intersections are finally open. The Don Mills bus bays and station entrance on the north east corner are nearly done:
March 20th by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Expressway rapid transit is not competitive with car travel on the same expressway, because a car easily exits to reach a destination. Transferring off of expressway rapid transit line usually is less seamless, often requiring a lengthy walk across the highway to even reach another transit route. It is often very difficult to retrofit an existing overpass to allow for convenient transfers or it is not practical to actually build the station right at an overpass.

Ottawa's Confed Line follows the Queensway for most of the east branch as well as the west part of the west branch. Even though some stations incorporate expressway pedestrian connections, they are a long walk. I have heard complaints about one of those pedestrian overpasses, that it doesn't actually lead you beyond the expressway, in other words, to an actual destination. In many cases, stations are not located at an overpass but to one side or another, often for practical reasons. It may not be possible to integrate a station into an existing overpass and there may be another destination such as shopping centre that is more important destination.

What I am saying that a freeway LRT line cannot necessarily be integrated into the existing transit grid for a variety of reasons, which limits seamless transfers.
Which one is that?

It's a fine balance. Some people complain about the station being on one side of the highways, others complain when it's in the middle. Personally, I think it depends on the destinations; if they are all on one side or balanced. Ultimately, I think it's better to have transit over or under main streets where people live and work, but many cities consider that to be too expensive. It's often about as much transit, as far as possible for the cheapest price.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:43 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Ontario Line (Toronto) - MTSE/ Trainshed work (Yesterday)

Yesterday I went to Thorncliffe Park, and took a look at how far along Metrolinx has gone with building a new train shed in a former woodlot at the edge of some industrial properties. I know this wooded lot well, but anyways, they've cleared much of the land where the new train shed will be.
The train shed will be behind the trees on the right, and more logging is underway at the bottom, by the creek since they need to install the tracks later on for this line to eventually connect with Don Mills and Eglinton:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Illegal right turns have led to 5 crashes involving vehicles and Valley Line Southeast LRT trains: TransEd

Karyn Mulcahy, CTV Edmonton
March 21 2023
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/illegal-...nsed-1.6322262

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:39 PM
Community Guy

Expected and a learning/education period, but most drivers are oblivious.

Thankfully we don't need to worry, for this line won't open until flying cars are generally adopted.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Expected and a learning/education period, but most drivers are oblivious.

Thankfully we don't need to worry, for this line won't open until flying cars are generally adopted.
Right turns on red should be disallowed, full-stop. Avoid any confusion.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:04 PM
Community Guy

Disagree. I believe that right on red helps with flow and makes sense for most intersections.

Don't try to fix stupid.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada