HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 8:10 PM
Detroiter4life

A container terminal is being built at the Port of Monroe; it will be the first container terminal in the state of Michigan.
New terminal coming to Port of Monroe: Here’s what we know
Quote:
The area used to be wooded at the port 10 years ago, but they’ve started to make it into an intermodal shipping channel, and it’s about to grow.

The 1,000-foot James R. Barker was one of the biggest freighters plying the Great Lakes these days.

It holds 700 rail cars worth of iron ore at one time and easily fits into the port of Monroe’s single hold.

It will soon have company in the likes of container ships. Those 40′ metal boxes are the most popular way to move cargo worldwide. And they’ve yet to have a foothold on the Detroit River or the Great Lakes, for that matter.

But Monday, Whitmer toured the facility bringing state money.

“We can work together to bolster Michigan’s supply chain,” said Whitmer. “We know that the impact of supply chain shocks has had a tremendous impact on our economy.” In the 2023 bipartisan budget, there’s about $15 million in state funds to add another boat hold, railroad spurs to allow containers and another $5 million in federal funds to put in a customs scanning facility.

The idea is to move freight from the location out to the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Paul Lamarre runs the Port of Monroe.

“Now Michigan will be in that business, and it will ensure that goods can travel to and from our region as expeditiously and economically as possible,” said Lamarre.

The development was long overdue to Anderson Economic Group Chief Economist Patrick Anderson.

“Building our port infrastructure has a high probability of helping us, and I’m glad the federal government is finally putting some money in after paying federal taxes,” said Anderson. “We’re supporting infrastructure in other parts of the country.”
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-what-we-know/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 10:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

switching gears, 4 of the 5 main US great lakes cities all have a tower over 500' tall under construction right now.

been a while since that's happened.

Chicago - 1000M - 805' (will become chicago's 20th tower over 800' tall)

source: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=2495

Detroit - Hudson Tower - 685' (will become detroit's 2nd tallest tower)

source: https://twitter.com/kirkpinhoCDB/sta...73833896394755

Cleveland - Sherwin-Williams HQ - 616' (will become cleveland's 4th tallest tower)

source: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=199

Milwaukee - The Couture - 537' (will become milwaukee's 3rd tallest tower)

source: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...post-183034114

it's your turn, Buffalo. Come on, join the great lakes tower party!!!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 8, 2023 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
switching gears, 4 of the 5 main US great lakes cities all have a tower over 500' tall under construction right now.

it's you're turn, Buffalo. Come on, join the great lakes tower party!!!
Nothing on the horizon (literally and figuratively) for Buffalo - closest would be a couple of 70+ story hotel/residential projects pending in nearby Niagara Falls Ontario. Need to get more of that Canadian money over to this side of the border.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 2:57 AM
Great White Norf

speaking for Buffalo, I'd rather have a central city of a Metro actually growing again than a 500ft tower

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 7:58 AM

[deleted]

Last edited by Docere; Apr 10, 2023 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 9:45 PM

10 leading European ancestry groups, Ontario (2021)

English 2,347,685 16.7%
Irish 1,999,985 14.3%
Scottish 1,937,010 13.8%
French/French Canadian 1,239,230 8.8%
German 1,058,075 7.5%
Italian 905,105 6.5%
Dutch 478,860 3.4%
Polish 461,090 3.2%
Ukrainian 342,260 2.4%
Portuguese 300,600 2.1%

Not surprisingly, a lot more British and French ancestry, less German and Polish. Italians are the largest "white ethnic" population but their share of the population are more in line with the Great Lakes region than the Northeast US.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 11:33 PM
Registered Ugly

Why are the Great Lakes colored with a fake blue hue on Google Maps while all of the nearly great lakes in Canada (Lake Winnipeg, Great Slave Lake, Great Bear Lake, etc.) are truly aerial images?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Why are the Great Lakes colored with a fake blue hue on Google Maps while all of the nearly great lakes in Canada (Lake Winnipeg, Great Slave Lake, Great Bear Lake, etc.) are truly aerial images?
They are also colorized, but in a different color than the Great Lakes or oceans. When you zoom in the colors change. Likely they are colorized because they are a montage of images at different seasons, different sun angles, and different cloud conditions. And the land is also colorized, but at a smaller scale.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
speaking for Buffalo, I'd rather have a central city of a Metro actually growing again than a 500ft tower
For sure, Buffalo's positive gain last decade was awesome to see! And a large part of that growth stemmed from a lack of black flight, which is hamstringing all of the other US great lakes cities. It's a very curious outlier on that front to me.

Still, it would be cool to see buffalo also add to it's skyline as well. Of the big 5 US great lakes cities, it's skyline has definitely been the most stagnant lately.

Skyscrapers over 300' built since 2000 , including U/C:

Chicago: hundreds
Milwaukee: 8
Cleveland: 6
Detroit: 3
Buffalo: 0

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
They are also colorized, but in a different color than the Great Lakes or oceans. When you zoom in the colors change. Likely they are colorized because they are a montage of images at different seasons, different sun angles, and different cloud conditions. And the land is also colorized, but at a smaller scale.
Google Maps uses much, much lower-res satellite images for oceans than for land, which is clear when you zoom in on any isolated island.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:54 PM

% urban

New York 87.4%
Illinois 86.9%
Ontario 86.7%
Pennsylvania 76.5%
Ohio 76.3%
Michigan 73.5%
Minnesota 71.9%
Indiana 71.2%
Wisconsin 67.1%

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
% urban

New York 87.4%
Illinois 86.9%
Ontario 86.7%
Pennsylvania 76.5%
Ohio 76.3%
Michigan 73.5%
Minnesota 71.9%
Indiana 71.2%
Wisconsin 67.1%
I assume this is the percent of the population that lives in an urbanized area? I'd be curious to see a list showing the percentage of total area of a state/province covered by urbanized areas. States with vast areas of empty land, such as NY, IL, and MI would drop way down. I have to imagine OH would be the most urbanized state in the Midwest using this approach, as it doesn't really have a large section of land that hasn't been populated/developed, ala Northern MI/UP. Of course, Ohio would pale in comparison to small states on the East Coast such as RI, MD, and NJ which are almost completely urbanized.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:48 PM

A lot of NYS is surprisingly pretty empty. Adirondack Park is enormous, about the size of Vermont, or three times the size of Yellowstone. Outside of Northern Maine, don't think there's an emptier area in the Eastern U.S.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I assume this is the percent of the population that lives in an urbanized area? I'd be curious to see a list showing the percentage of total area of a state/province covered by urbanized areas. States with vast areas of empty land, such as NY, IL, and MI would drop way down. I have to imagine OH would be the most urbanized state in the Midwest using this approach, as it doesn't really have a large section of land that hasn't been populated/developed, ala Northern MI/UP. Of course, Ohio would pale in comparison to small states on the East Coast such as RI, MD, and NJ which are almost completely urbanized.
Yes, it is urbanized population.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:13 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
I find it weird that two of the largest lakes wholly within Canada are bigger than 2 of the Great Lakes and yet they get such little attention, comparatively. The blue coloration by Google makes them seem more important and just another way of highlighting typical American exceptionalism.

I vote that we include the Big Ass Canadian Lakes as Great Lakes within the context of this forum. I'm inducting Winnipeg, at very least.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:23 PM
Registered Ugly

Onto a totally different topic, what are some cool music venues in your favorite Great Lakes cities?

I miss a few in the Detroit area and lower Michigan generally. My faves were:
  • The Loving Touch in Ferndale, my all time favorite. Super small venue where you can get close to the musicians. Used to be an old massage parlor and they just kept the name.
  • The Old Miami (on the small side, dive bar) and The Fillmore (on the medium size, great ornamentation in a historic building) in Detroit.
  • Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, just brings back some memories while in grad school.
  • The Crofoot in Pontiac. A source of life in a rough and tumble town.
  • The Pyramid Scheme in Grand Rapids. A play on Amway's influence in the area and just a cool place. Honorary mention to the old Intersection.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm inducting Winnipeg, at very least.
Manitoba, where the land of lakes meets the Great Plains.

Winnipeg once had aspirations to be the "Chicago of the north" so I guess there's that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 12:48 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

it's your turn, Buffalo. Come on, join the great lakes tower party!!!

buffalo, schmuffalo -- its columbus that's by far the major lagger in the midwest.

plenty of infill and big recent business gets, but nothing major yet.

one day that downtown is going to explode all at once and catch up to its cousin austin.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:46 AM

Quote:
I find it weird that two of the largest lakes wholly within Canada are bigger than 2 of the Great Lakes and yet they get such little attention, comparatively. The blue coloration by Google makes them seem more important and just another way of highlighting typical American exceptionalism.
Oh, I dunno... maybe, just maybe, it might have something to do with the fact that they are located way the fuck up in the Northwest Territories, one of them within the Arctic Circle and the other is just south of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
buffalo, schmuffalo -- its columbus that's by far the major lagger in the midwest.

plenty of infill and big recent business gets, but nothing major yet.

one day that downtown is going to explode all at once and catch up to its cousin austin.
Yeah, I don't get it. Especially considering Columbus' awesome location right on the shores of Great Lake Scioto!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions