HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:10 PM

The website says not final or approved?

Or is this the real deal?

I'm confused.

Did they not update the website? Here is what the website says:

Below are conceptual renderings (not final or approved) that illustrate our overall vision for this community. Southern Land Company will continue to work with stakeholders and neighborhood associations to finalize the concepts to create a community that will best serve Philadelphia and Rittenhouse Square.

Walnut Streetscape.....

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Looks no different than the originally leaked renderings.
Read Dustin Downey's comment yesterday at 12:11 PM. He said they're going to go ahead with the taller 600 foot design instead of the shorter design because it looked too bulky and didn't look as elegant.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
But,

The website says not final or approved?

Or is this the real deal?

I'm confused.
Maybe because they still have to go through the planning commission and they're not approved yet?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:16 PM

From the Souther Land Co Website

Quote:
1911 Walnut Street, located on Rittenhouse Square in the desirable Center City market, marks Southern Land Company’s second development in Philadelphia. The site is the last undeveloped parcel on the prestigious Rittenhouse Square and is an exciting opportunity to add luxury living and retail to this in-demand locale. This community will feature several onsite amenities, underground parking and approximately 342 luxury apartments and 64 condominiums. In addition the community will feature approximately 55,000 square feet of commercial space fronting Walnut, Samson and 20th streets to provide exclusive retail, shopping and dining options to the area.

Below are conceptual renderings (not final or approved) that illustrate our overall vision for this community. Southern Land Company will continue to work with stakeholders and neighborhood associations to finalize the concepts to create a community that will best serve Philadelphia and Rittenhouse Square.
http://southernland.com/community-de...nhouse-square/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Maybe because they still have to go through the planning commission and they're not approved yet?
That's what I thought too, maybe I was getting anxious to see an even taller version! (Hey, I can hope, right?)
Glad to see this though! Another 600 footer! Yaaa!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
That's what I thought too, maybe I was getting anxious to see an even taller version! (Hey, I can hope, right?)
Glad to see this though! Another 600 footer! Yaaa!
I know! I love it! I really hope this moves forward. There is only one tower in the 600 foot range in Philly (IBX)... I would love to have another built. Would love to see 4 or 5 more honestly.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Read Dustin Downey's comment yesterday at 12:11 PM. He said they're going to go ahead with the taller 600 foot design instead of the shorter design because it looked too bulky and didn't look as elegant.
The tower itself looks pretty much identical to the prior renders as far as I can tell, but the Warwick is now gone from Sansom and replaced with a pretty uniform 3 story wall. Boo.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:24 PM

Preliminary Plans (and Renderings) Revealed for 1911 Walnut Project

Quote:
The developer of the last vacant lot on Rittenhouse Square has released the preliminary plans for their much-talked-about project, 1911 Walnut.

Southern Land Company says the project will include a 47- to 51-story residential tower consisting of approximately 342 luxury apartments and 64-75 condominiums, 55,000-square-feet of retail on Walnut, Sansom and 20th streets, and underground parking. According to the press release, the retail will span three floors and "[residents] will enjoy resort-style amenities at the 4th and 34th floors."

The tower is set to be designed by Solomon Cordwell Buenz, whose work include the Murano on Market Street and a slew of handsome buildings in Chicago.

The project has taken some heat over the past few months, as Southern Land Company applied for hardship to demolish three historic buildings on Sansom Street. The developers have since said they'll spare the Rittenhouse Coffee Shop, but still seek to demolish its neighbors, the Warwick and O.H. Bair Funeral Home. Sansom Street is shown in the renderings, with the historic coffee house present. "To date," explains the press release, "Southern Land Company has met with Center City Residents Association (CCRA), Rittenhouse Plaza and other business and community leaders to present their preliminary plans. The developer will continue to meet with community groups, stakeholders, planning staff and preservation groups throughout the planning process."

“1911 Walnut will integrate the best of Rittenhouse Square’s rich history with exceptional amenities, retail and design,” said Tim Downey, CEO of Southern Land Company, in the press release. “1911 Walnut, like all of our projects, is one where we won’t just invest in properties, but also the people, lifestyles and communities they inspire. We are passionately committed to Philadelphia and are excited to present this plan as we continue to meet with community groups.”

This is a developing story, and will be added to once more information becomes available.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...cxS9K1fOGWH.99

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:24 PM

Quote:
I know! I love it! I really hope this moves forward. There is only one tower in the 600 foot range in Philly (IBX)... I would love to have another built. Would love to see 4 or 5 more honestly.
It is a beautiful design. It kinda looks like something you would see in Dallas JUST KIDDNGGGGG!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:28 PM

This building is like hitting the whole park out of the park, it's going to set the new standard.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:33 PM

I'm a big fan of these renders.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 5:13 PM

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 6:48 PM

I can't tell, but is there even a drive aisle on Sansom now? It's sad if the Warwick facade cannot be saved, but at least the pedestrian experience will be better than originally planned. It sounds to me like the Warwick facade should be the bargaining chip for (I assume necessary) height variance.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I can't tell, but is there even a drive aisle on Sansom now? It's sad if the Warwick facade cannot be saved, but at least the pedestrian experience will be better than originally planned. It sounds to me like the Warwick facade should be the bargaining chip for (I assume necessary) height variance.
No. Read Dustin's comment. He said they removed the drive aisle from Moravian to Sansom.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
The tower itself looks pretty much identical to the prior renders as far as I can tell, but the Warwick is now gone from Sansom and replaced with a pretty uniform 3 story wall. Boo.
It looks like they removed the Sansom curbcut, removed Warwick and took the two adjacent residential lobbies on Walnut by splitting them between Walnut and Sansom - likely separating the condo and rental by address.

I am disappointed that SLC hasn't come through with preserving the Warwick and funeral home which they knowingly purchased as historic. SLC should absolutely not be allowed to get a height variance without giving something - and that should be the preservation of all the HISTORIC buildings that they purchased - not just the one property that doesn't fall into their ideal footprint.

And while others are raving, I find the proposed design to be very weak. It is not offensive, but definitely not elegant enough for the location. It would fit in well with the other generic buildings on Market Street.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
No. Read Dustin's comment. He said they removed the drive aisle from Moravian to Sansom.
I did read it, thank you very much. Please take a look at the prior plans. There was a cut-through from Moravian to Sansom (it was in both the keep-Moravian-open and block-Moravian options). I did see it serving any purpose of Moravian was kept open as a through street. There was ALSO an entrance to the motor court. I understood Mr. Downey's comment as referring to the former, but that there'd still be a motor court entrance from Sansom. I'm referring to the latter and I don't see that either (unless I'm mistaking it for an entrance lobby).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I did read it, thank you very much. Please take a look at the prior plans. There was a cut-through from Moravian to Sansom (it was in both the keep-Moravian-open and block-Moravian options). I did see it serving any purpose of Moravian was kept open as a through street. There was ALSO an entrance to the motor court. I understood Mr. Downey's comment as referring to the former, but that there'd still be a motor court entrance from Sansom. I'm referring to the latter and I don't see that either (unless I'm mistaking it for an entrance lobby).
I believe they removed the curb cut and drive aisle and all car/garage access will now be through Moravian alone.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 7:13 PM

Referring to my comment above, I believe Mr. Downey is referring to the elimination of the cut-through (right-most of the two drive aisles) from Moravian to Sansom in these OLD floor plans. From the new renderings, it appears that the motor court driveway (centermost) is gone too, but I can't tell whether the entrance on Sansom is for a lobby or not.

Moravian closed option:

Moravian remains open option:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
I believe they removed the curb cut and drive aisle and all car/garage access will now be through Moravian alone.
Thanks. It sure looks that way, which is great. Having all vehicle access from Moravian seems like a no-brainer (except, perhaps, for having to share the street with the loading dock). I'd say that we have 4/5 of what is desired by most in this forum: (1) height of 600 feet, (2) Moravian likely to remain open (just an assumption based on what we're seeing), (3) Minimal to no interruption of the pedestrian experience on the Sansom side, (4) preserved coffee shoppe. We'll see how the efforts to (at least) preserve the Warwick facade go.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 8:21 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Not yet. Their most recent plans still have a Sansom Street curb cut, but the community dislikes it. They definitely want all vehicular access to this project to be through Moravian.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive