HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:20 PM
BANNED

Boston is spectacular!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 8:47 PM

New to this site noticed the status for the Boston Skyscraper Diagram page have not been updated recently.
Pierce Boston has been completed 2118.
Longfellow Place is under construction
One Congress Street Tower 1 is under construction
The Hub on Causeway Office Tower is under construction
Winthrop Square Tower is under construction
How do we get them updated?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 5:56 AM
クラブトクヨ

In Boston for the first time, such a lovely city. It’s cold but the city is so pretty and so walkable!!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 1:47 AM

Some of my recent photos of the new Four Seasons Tower (1 Dalton)
Beeline

Beeline

Beeline

Beeline

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:02 AM

My recent photos of the Residence Tower at The Hub on Causeway Complex.
Beeline

Beeline

Beeline

Beeline

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:21 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

A couple of updates from my visit to Mass General earlier this week. All pics are from Tuesday:

Hub on Causeway
Residential Tower from the I-93 exit. There's also another residential tower under construction across Lomansey Way near that exit that I couldn't get a shot from the car. It's in the underground construction phase, and the lot is pretty large.

Source: Me and my cracked screen iPhone

Residential tower looking east along Cambridge Street from the hospital. Don't know the exact location, but appears to be between Government Center and the Financial District.

And a bonus from downtown Haverhill at the end of the commuter line. Getting a nice little modern 10(ish)-story condo tower along the Merrimac River. Appears to be the tallest in this reviving downtown district.

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Boston is awesome!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:07 PM

Boston development moguls fighting over failed Back Bay condo project

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...HP_TrendingBar

Quote:
Two of the biggest names in Boston’s development world are heading to court in an ugly falling-out over a posh Back Bay condo project that could have put a portion of their personal fortunes on the line.

Construction magnate John Fish is suing Stephen Weiner, who developed the Mandarin Oriental hotel and major suburban shopping centers, saying Weiner cost him tens of millions of dollars when he scuttled an $800 million-plus tower the pair had planned to build on Boylston Street, just days before it was set to break ground.

A decade in planning, the 484-foot-tall tower would have revived a windy, forlorn corner of Back Bay near the Hynes Convention Center and featured some of Boston’s most expensive condos.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:35 PM

Tons of stuff happening in Boston, although you wouldn't know it by just visiting SSP! Check out archboston.com for fuller updates. Here's a quick check-in on the largest/tallest projects going on here. Click in to see more pics in my photostream and be sure to follow my flickr if you're interested in constant Boston updates.

Alcott - 485', visually close to complete. First pic is from Feb, second is newer.

IMG_6710 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_8247 by David Z, on Flickr

Hub on Causeway, 496' residential and 510' office, just about finished.

IMG_8165 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_7650 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_8211 by David Z, on Flickr

Winthrop Square - 691', about 15 floors right now out of 55

IMG_8122 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_8133 by David Z, on Flickr

Bulfinch Crossing - ~600' (maybe as high as 630' to fin) new State Street Headquarters, U/C, and ~532' "The Sudbury" residential, complete. Most of the parking garage is being demoed and more (but shorter) buildings will be added to the complex, including a second residential around 380'.

IMG_8224 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_8251 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_8182 by David Z, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Great additions to this gorgeous city!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:51 PM

Fantastic, great for Boston.

Filling in nicely.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:57 PM
A Man In Dandism

Great update! Had no idea all of this was going on in the Boston.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 6:58 AM

How tall are all the buildings?
In Boston it takes a bit of digging to find out for sure.
Guys who draw the tower art can look in the present, and back in time.
For anyone who keeps track of this stuff,
There are a few discrepancies w/ very straightforward reasons.
Seattle burps up 440' resident towers and tall skyscrapers.
Boston doesn't: everything over ~280-300' is a fight.
Boston fibs sort of.
Flynn vs the crazy nimby's in 1984.
"Ok, from now on, nothing will exceed 400'. Now, get out of my office."

Here are the heights of Boston's buildings by 2025.

1. JHT/200 Clarendon St 790’
2. Pru 749’
3. 1 Dalton St./Four Seasons 742’ (probably a few feet more)
4. 115 Winthrop Sq (u/c) 691’
5. Millennium Tower 685’
6. South Station Tower (site prep) 677’
above 200m

7. 1 Congress St spire tip (u/c) ~640’ (give or take/ believe it or not)
8. Federal Reserve 614’
9. 1 Boston Place 602’ (FCC) (FAA docs list it as 606.00')
10. 1 International Place 600’
Tower at Central Wharf 600': doubt it
fanatics now control Boston development
11. 1 Financial Ctr 599’
(FAA & FCC: maint pavilion roof at antennae base)
12. 100 Federal St 591’
above 180m

13. 111 Huntington Ave/Back Bay 554’
14. 50 Sudbury St (resident) (actual) 539’ (per FAA docs w/ 560' AMSL)
15. Exchange Place (actual) 539’ (FAA & FCC of the top setback roof)
E.P. rises 30' above neighbor 60 State because it is 30' taller than 60 State.
16. 2 International Place 538’
17. 1 Post Office Square (after redo) ~528’ got a few feet taller
18. 1 Federal St. 520’
19. Hub On Causeway (office) 510’
20. 60 State St. 509’
21. 1 Beacon St. 505’
22. 1 Lincoln St. 503’
23. 28 State St 500’
24. Hub on Causeway (resident) 496’
25. Custom House Tower 496’
26. Old JHT 495'
above 150m

27. Alcott/GG tower (topped) 485’
28. 33 Arch St. 477’
29. 225 Franklin St. 477’
30. Ritz Carlton #1 475’
31. 125 High St. 452’
32. 100 Summer St. 450’
33. Avalon North Station 449’
34. Ritz Carlton #2 446’
35. 40 Trinity Place (u/c) 446’
36. Atlantic Wharf 436’
37. Columbus Ctr? (Act II)?? 420’ maybe 2028~30
38. 1 Devonshire Place (42 stories) ~418' (estimated)
39. Back Bay Station residential #1 413'
40. Back Bay Station office 408'
41. McCormack Bldg 401’
42. Keystone Bldg 400’
43. The Huntington (approved) 400’
44. Harbor Towers #1 400’

45. Harbor Towers #2 396’
46. Leverett Saltonstall Bldg 396’
47. The Westin Copley Place 395'
48. 100 High St. 394’
49. 75 State St. 390’
50. 380 Stuart St. 390'

Exchange Place was about to cast its fat shadow on Faneuil Hall.
1 Financial had topped out.
Don Chiofaro fought for several years to build One Intl Place. His announcement to build the tallest building of the 1980s in Boston--and bring world class height, >700' near to the Waterfront was unveiled to City Hall planners with Survivor's 'Eye of the Tiger' blaring through a boom box.
As months passed, the Flynn Admn brought several forced height reductions, but the most forceful came from Massport/ FAA reducing the allowable height to just over 600'. Even with the significant reductions, came more rounds of impasse: But now, Chiofaro held fast:
To be the tallest of the 1980s, a decade of landmark achievement/s for the region, it could be ​not a foot less. Ultimately he was successful. ​

My father worked with the architects for 1 Financial Ctr in 1983 when it was rising.
"How tall?"
"600'." Oh he knew. "Wow, will we be building more tall buildings like this?"
"i'll ask some people."

The architect was fibbing just a little. Dewey Square, as it was so referred by construction workers was rising to 599'. This is Boston, and by the following year, a new mayor was dealing with an angry faction of old Boston money/(Brahmin lunatics) that would not so easily have rattled his predecessor.

If you get way up near the top, you'll see the 9' high maintenance floor that covers most of the tower's perimeter.

We can check the FAA/FCC docs.

Before discovering some of those filings, a few years ago for fun, i found a photo that so happened to be dead on roof level of 1 Financial aimed at Intl Place... correcting for the curvature of the Earth, the towers line up within ~0.5-1.5' AMSL, w/ 100 Federal St inferior in height. The Federal Reserve Bldg also rises to about the same height give or take as 100 Fed AMSL.

The most recent filings for 1 Financial Ctr give the FAA height limit determination of 699' AMSL/(682' above ground level) after being reduced by a foot after a recent antenna application due to sea level rise. It's most recent, and tallest approved antenna including its mast is 83' tall--and rises as high as it can go for safe aircraft flight at the easternmost point of the roof.

Study (ASN): 2017-ANE-1903-OE
Prior Study: 2017-ANE-962-OE
Letters: Determination
7460-2 Forms: 10/03/2017 | 10/05/2017

Received Date: 06/05/2017
Entered Date: 06/05/2017
Completion Date: 09/13/2017
Expiration Date:

Last edited by odurandina; Jul 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
How tall are all the buildings?
20. 60 State St. 509’
21. 1 Beacon St. 505’
22. 1 Lincoln St. 503’
24. 28 State St 500’
21. 60 State St. 509’
22. 1 Beacon St. 505’
23. 1 Lincoln St. 503’
24. 28 State St 500’
Uh oh what happened here? Looks like everything below this is now off by 1.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Hopefully, this amazing project will proceed.

Governor hopes to revive waterfront development plans tossed out by judge
By Tim Logan Globe Staff,Updated May 3, 2021, 7:40 a.m.

A month after a Suffolk County judge tossed out harbor development plans across the state — including a much-debated one in downtown Boston — the Baker administration is trying for a quick fix that would allow waterfront buildings to go forward again.

State environmental officials on Friday began the process of reapproving 17 municipal harbor plans that govern building along waterfronts from Gloucester to New Bedford, hoping that will be faster than appealing the recent court decision, which said the state has been improperly approving the plans for decades.

The ruling has thrown a number of big projects into legal limbo, not least among them developer Don Chiofaro’s plan for a 600-foot tower on the site of the Boston Harbor Garage.

Opponents of that project — the Conservation Law Foundation and Chiofaro’s neighbors at the Harbor Towers condominium complex — filed suit against Boston’s 2018 downtown harbor plan. They argued that the state erred in having then-environmental affairs secretary Matt Beaton sign off on the plan instead of the more bureaucratic Department of Environmental Protection — as is spelled out in state law.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:33 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ While I like that proposal, the two-tower plan most recently approved was so much better.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ While I like that proposal, the two-tower plan most recently approved was so much better.
I thought that the tower shown above is the most recently approved one.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I thought that the tower shown above is the most recently approved one.
With Boston's insufferable process--no proposals by Don Chiofaro w/ Prudential have been approved via *Article 80 Review that sets the table for construction in the City. Between 2006 and 2014, (2) [2 tower] proposals were pronounced "dead on arrival" by Boston's planning authority.
*(a dark/depraved place on the human evolutionary map).

The current project is the only proposal brought forward by City planners to the Article 80 stage.

A special zoning program called the Downtown Municipal Harbor Planning Initiative (MHP) was created by the City in 2015 to produce zoning relief for 2 projects to move forward, and bolster Boston's waterfront:
1. The sinking of the universally hated Harbor Garage, and the creation of a world class day/night working/ residential/ tourist zone to act as forerunner to the N.E. Aquarium's "Blueway" redevelopment plan/vision.
2. A ~325' highrise hotel called the Hook Wharf project to replace a low-rise lobster restaurant that burned down 13 years ago.

The process kicked out a plan to allow for 1 tower of sufficient height to make demolition and remaking ~1,450 parking spaces below grade, and tower construction economically tenable for Chiofaro Co to draw up formal plans, pnf's, environmental studies, ect.

After various shareholders were allowed to posture in a quasi public process, the MHP was put to vote. City and State officials eventually agreed that the overall benefit to Boston was substantial. It was then passed up to the state authority to navigate making it a lawful action: (not straightforward in a state fraught with environmental and public access activists).

Finally, the day came that Don Chiofaro and Pru submitted a tower/site plan that turned the Garage initiative into an actual project subject to the Article 80 process.

Observers ran the range from elation, to general approval, to disapproval, public posturing & tirades.

Unfortunately, the process to complete the tricky steps to make the zoning relief for these 2 "one offs" came with years of warnings and challenge's by neighbors, an unhinged Aquarium think-tank, a billionaire and his paid for friends--and a professional extortion agency called the CLF.

A Suffolk Superior Court judge eventually sided with the warrior plaintiffs to declare the process lacking legal legitimacy. The plaintiffs were confident they could stop the project--and have (for now at least) been proven right.

Per the Globe article shown above, Lawmakers search that pathway to make the two projects legal.

Not telling anyone they should love this design. In San Francisco or Miami, it would probably take its place with other highrises near the waterfront as just another nice condo tower. It screams Hallandale/ Golden/ Sunny Isles Beach like nothing else [this side of the North Miami area] does.

For its difficult, underdog status, the adage of 'perfect being the enemy of the good' is apropos. It's really dumbfounding: The Aquarium should be strongly in support--especially with reverence to a future 'Blueway.' i don't know how anyone would not happily give support as it is currently proposed for the miracle change to the Harbor-front and Wharf it sets up geometrically, and infusion of life it brings to the Greenway and Boston.

Last edited by odurandina; Jul 9, 2021 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the analysis.

I love the KPF tower and hate that garage.

Boston is so gorgeous, and this will enhance it even more. I hope that it gets built.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Here are the heights of Boston's buildings by 2025.

1. JHT/200 Clarendon St 790’
2. Pru 749’
3. 1 Dalton St./Four Seasons 742’ (probably a few feet more)
The phrase "probably a few feet more" got me curious, so I looked around a bit. Indeed, CTBUH says it is 746 ft: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...n-street/16952

I wonder which figure is correct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations