HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:32 PM

Beckman's cousin was a circus painter.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:11 PM

Whoa

Do tell.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:15 PM

We have seen Santa Monica's enormous Arcadia Hotel on NLA but I believe this might be a view that we haven't seen before.

eBay

I'm curious about the large barn-like building on the far right. I'm quite sure we haven't seen it before.

Here's a closer look at the structures to the south of the hotel including the structure in question. - - - - - - ->

detail

Oh, and one last thing.

I believe this is a photographer's wagon. (you can see it at far left in the detail immediately above)

I don't believe it's a portable dressing room because the bathhouse, no doubt with changing rooms, is right there.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 1, 2021 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:22 AM

What was going on in the city on this apparently chilly 1950 afternoon?....let's check the Her-Ex headline.....

"Dorsey Says City Can Be Ordered To Ban All Autos Blocking Streets" (I think).....seems rather draconian, but without the context it's hard to say what was being proposed.

The "Dorsey" in question appears to be Ralph T. Dorsey, city traffic chief....

1920's

He gave us the world's greatest pacifier, otherwise known as the pedestrian push-button signal.....a mini-bio from here:  https://ladot.lacity.org/sites/defau...fornia.pdf  ......

Ralph T. Dorsey was the first Traffic Engineer for the City of Los Angeles and a colorful and remarkable person. He was born in Downtown Los Angeles and received a high school education. He was the nephew of Susan Miller Dorsey after whom the high school in Los Angeles is named. He was a short, wiry man who became a semi-pro baseball player, a flyweight boxer, a miner and finally, an electrician, a trade that he learned from correspondence school. He was employed as an electrician with the City of Los Angeles when the first experiments with automated traffic signals were underway. 

He was the inspector of the initial signal system of 31 intersections in Downtown Los Angeles. In this capacity he not only became an expert in the operation of traffic signals, but more importantly in the operation of traffic through signal timing techniques. The roots of traffic engineering lie in the art of safe and efficient intersectional traffic operation. Dorsey epitomized that art by being the first person to successfully control pedestrians, operate an interconnected signal system (with a control center), develop optimum signal system offsets, and develop 16 daily timing plans all by 1926. In 1928 he pioneered reverse lane operation, and in one case, 12th Street was operated as a reversible one-way street. Also, in1928 he applied the first known railroad pre-emption features. He installed the first known pedestrian push button signal in January 1929.

He had the longest tenure as the City’s top transportation official. From June 1930 until his retirement in 1954 he headed the Bureau of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Traffic Engineering and the Department of Traffic. He indeed was a pioneer, an innovator, a character and one who invented ways to keep traffic flowing long before there were standard practices.   

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:01 AM

Greetings all! I've been away for a spell so it's taken me a while to write and say thank you for the nice words said about the book here and here. BHLA has certainly been well received!

So, speaking of Bunker Hill, I thought it might be of interest to the assembled that there's been something of a discovery...where once there were no extant surviving houses from the Hill, it seems there is one, and a good one at that...

Read all about it here https://bunkerhilllosangeles.com/2021/02/27/a-survivor/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:02 PM

Two slides take in "1967, Venice". (per the seller)

eBay

This is my face....when I noticed the two young boys riding in front.

This kid said 'Hold my beer'.

eBay

The blonde boy in the white t-shirt might be the kid on the right in the first slide.

Has anyone heard of the advertisers. . . Royal Star Apartments or Ron's Restaurant?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 2, 2021 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:45 PM

Dorsey !

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
The "Dorsey" in question appears to be Ralph T. Dorsey, city traffic chief....

1920's

He gave us the world's greatest pacifier, otherwise known as the pedestrian push-button signal.....a mini-bio from here:  https://ladot.lacity.org/sites/defau...fornia.pdf  ......

Ralph T. Dorsey was the first Traffic Engineer for the City of Los Angeles and a colorful and remarkable person. He was born in Downtown Los Angeles and received a high school education. He was the nephew of Susan Miller Dorsey after whom the high school in Los Angeles is named. He was a short, wiry man who became a semi-pro baseball player, a flyweight boxer, a miner and finally, an electrician, a trade that he learned from correspondence school. He was employed as an electrician with the City of Los Angeles when the first experiments with automated traffic signals were underway. 

He was the inspector of the initial signal system of 31 intersections in Downtown Los Angeles. In this capacity he not only became an expert in the operation of traffic signals, but more importantly in the operation of traffic through signal timing techniques. The roots of traffic engineering lie in the art of safe and efficient intersectional traffic operation. Dorsey epitomized that art by being the first person to successfully control pedestrians, operate an interconnected signal system (with a control center), develop optimum signal system offsets, and develop 16 daily timing plans all by 1926. In 1928 he pioneered reverse lane operation, and in one case, 12th Street was operated as a reversible one-way street. Also, in1928 he applied the first known railroad pre-emption features. He installed the first known pedestrian push button signal in January 1929.

He had the longest tenure as the City’s top transportation official. From June 1930 until his retirement in 1954 he headed the Bureau of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Traffic Engineering and the Department of Traffic. He indeed was a pioneer, an innovator, a character and one who invented ways to keep traffic flowing long before there were standard practices.   
Fascinating subject ! Thanks. His glasses are very 1920s...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Its a relief to have a post about a person rather than the usual building!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Two slides take in 1967, Venice.

eBay

rquoise"]..[This is my face..[COLOR="PaleTu/COLOR]when I noticed the two young boys riding in front.

Those end-riders probably didn't have the coins for the ride.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:26 AM

Quote:
We have seen Santa Monica's enormous Arcadia Hotel on NLA but I believe this might be a view that we haven't seen before.

eBay

I hope nobody ever attempted to dive off of the pier in the foreground.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 6:36 AM

Quote:

eBay

This kid said 'Hold my beer'.

eBay

The blonde boy in the white t-shirt might be the kid on the right in the first slide.

Has anyone heard of the advertisers. . . Royal Star Apartments or Ron's Restaurant?

It was like jumping on the Cable Cars in SFO. Hop a ride until you got caught. It was only 10 cents when I was a kid, but I didn't always have ten cents.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:

eBay

That first slide is not in Venice, that's Santa Monica. The Casa Del Mar Hotel is in the background.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
That first slide is not in Venice, that's Santa Monica. The Casa Del Mar Hotel is in the background.
Well, Venice adjacent...

(The Venice border is 9/10mi down the beach)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
What was going on in the city on this apparently chilly 1950 afternoon?....let's check the Her-Ex headline.....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Or Synanon, the drug rehab clinic, as it was known then.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:08 AM

There was an episode of Mannix that took place there when it was a drug rehab clinic. Does anyone remember that episode?

Update:

I found it!

The episode was 'Delayed Action'.

Season 1, Episode 22 (aired on March 2, 1968)

Only a few scenes were shot on location.

Video Link

If I remember correctly it's a pretty good episode.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 3, 2021 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:19 AM

1920's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Since we are back in the '20s, I prophesize owlish circular horn rim glasses will come back into style. O-O Hopefully, flappers will also magically reappear

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 3, 2021 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
"Dorsey Says City Can Be Ordered To Ban All Autos Blocking Streets" (I think).....seems rather draconian, but without the context it's hard to say what was being proposed.

When they had the one-way rush hour traffic, it was a big deal that there was no parking allowed in the parking zone at the side of street.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Since we are back in the '20s, I prophesize owlish circular horn rim glasses will come back into style.
Or how about something new...like this...

Or to sort of remain on topic...click HERE.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:28 PM

Here's an amazing original photograph of the. . .

Shepherd-Campbell Co. Service Station, 2500 Figueroa Avenue, Los Angeles.

Link

An arch this wide must be full of rebar - otherwise it would crumble in the slightest earthquake.

This image differs from the other photographs we have seen of this station. You can view them Here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos