HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:28 AM

Snout Houses

All photos taken on June 26, 2019.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:55 AM

I've been seeing more and more of these snout houses here in Delaware on infill lots in postwar subdivisions.

I don't mind the suburbs at all; in fact, I own a postwar ranch house. I don't need a lot of land and I don't need a lot of interior space. I don't have a garage, but if for some reason I wanted to build on, I could attach one to the side of the house, or build a free-standing one in the back yard, like has been done in countless other postwar neighborhoods.

But these houses seem way too strange to me. Is someone's need for garage space so high that they are willing to sacrifice windows that look out onto the street? Doesn't anyone want rooms with windows? (This goes into another peeve of mine, which is people who keep curtains closed or blinds down during the day, and then turn on lights. You have free lighting already, and you're blocking it out!)

Then look at these houses and how their side walls are so bare. There are almost no windows at all. Why not just build townhouses then?

I would much prefer what I have: a small house on a small lot with natural light in every room, and a small, but usable front yard and back yard. I could expand my ranch house upward, if I ever wanted to, and I could build a one-car garage on the property if I wanted to as well.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:29 AM
Volatile Pacivist

These are beyond ugly. Why do people even need to keep their car in the damn house? I mean, yes it might save some time brushing snow off it a few days a year, but is that really worth the extra money in building materials to add that additional area and in the process make your house hideous? Of course for a lot of the people (at least in my region) a car (or sufficient space for one) is one of the least common things in a garage so people do find uses for them. General assorted storage is probably the most common use, and workshops would be the second. Basically a glorified shed which can be done in a much more attractive way.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 12:44 AM

Hello, am I the only weirdo here? I am really loving it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:57 AM

I own a snout house. The rent pays for my loft downtown.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:29 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Welcome to our lovely garage.

We live upstairs in its attic.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post

These two are friendlier to the visitor with the welcoming covered walkways on the side to signal an entrance.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I hate snout houses. Uglification of suburbia personified.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:30 PM

Thank you for making even our worst suburbs look better than something.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
All photos taken on June 26, 2019.

Toronto suburb?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:47 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^half of Canadian suburbs look like that.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
These are beyond ugly. Why do people even need to keep their car in the damn house? I mean, yes it might save some time brushing snow off it a few days a year, but is that really worth the extra money in building materials to add that additional area and in the process make your house hideous? Of course for a lot of the people (at least in my region) a car (or sufficient space for one) is one of the least common things in a garage so people do find uses for them. General assorted storage is probably the most common use, and workshops would be the second. Basically a glorified shed which can be done in a much more attractive way.

i like having a garage personally - own a townhouse with an alley behind, and rear facing garage - the only right way to do things IMO. not common at all for atlanta, but definitely so in other places like chicago and dallas. some of my neighbors with families treat theirs as extra outdoor living space, one even went as far as putting a nifty pebble coating on the concrete - they park their cars on the street during the day and only bring them in before going to bed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:37 PM

Sorry, I try to show a faceless suburb, so maybe labelling the place would get in the way of that, right? But I probably should have said that this is my neighbourhood in Mississauga, Ontario, beside Toronto, just walking around 10-15 minutes from my home.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 7:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

My first house (that I bought) was a snout house. The house was basically a tunnel with most of the windows on the back (and one in the front). So were all the other houses on the street. With about 6 feet between each house, on 40 ft wide lots. It was hideous then and now. And it is true that most people just fill up their garages with crap so they cannot fit their car inside. Especially since most of the people on the street drove fugly hulking pickup trucks (never seem to be hauling anything, mind you). Some families owned two or three pickup trucks. There may be nothing uglier (or soul-sucking) in the universe than three pickup trucks parked side-by-side on a driveway built for two cars, in front of a snouthouse, on a cold dark winter's day.

I am glad to have moved out of snouthouseville. The street that I live on currently is infinitely nicer. Alas still too many people drive fugly hulking pickup trucks.

Along with the ubiquity of the snouthouse, the extreme popularity of huge hulking pickup trucks is a symbol that the end is nigh.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:23 PM

I think these pictures along with my other series on Corner Lots highlights how even a little thought and effort can make a big difference for not only each individual house but also the streets at the same time. Even some of these houses have more prominent "snouts" than the others, with no windows visible at all. Some houses, even if the garage dominates, you can at least see the windows. I think it is not wrong to expect a little more from the designs, a suburb can still be a suburb, but even suggestions for minor changes to suburbs are often met with huge backlash and controversy here. Half-hearted TOD measures all over the suburbs like in the GTA can still make a huge difference on suburbanite's ability to use transit. Even alleyways and rear parking in Uptown Core, Churchill Meadows, Mount Pleasant, Cornell, it really doesn't interfere with the suburban lifestyle. Churchill Meadows and Mount Pleasant are not as ambitious as Uptown Core and Cornell, and Cornell and Uptown Core not ambitious as Seaside, Florida, but when it comes autocentricity and aesthetics, every little tiny step counts, but I think people completely dismiss these steps way too easily. With just minor changes, the suburbs can be much better than this. Just because they remain suburban doesn't mean they are failures. When it comes to urbanity, not everything has to be black and white.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I try to show a faceless suburb, so maybe labelling the place would get in the way of that, right? But I probably should have said that this is my neighbourhood in Mississauga, Ontario, beside Toronto, just walking around 10-15 minutes from my home.
Toronto suburbs actually look worse now than they did 50 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 1:20 AM

These houses actually probably 20-30 years old now. 50 year old neighbourhoods like Milliken and Mississauga Valleys aren't so great either. Just looking at residential streets, I think newer neighbourhoods like Cornell and Uptown Core do look better.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 1:45 AM

I just think it’s kind of funny that I haven’t lived there since 1973, haven’t even visited since the early 90s, and yet those houses looked familiar enough for me to guess they were in a Toronto suburb.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:45 AM
The Vomit Bag.

the problem with snout houses is that the ugliest part of the house, the ass end of it, gets the most exposure. faceless walls of garages.

houses used to come with garages. Now it is garages that come with houses. The house is tucked away in the back.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 5:06 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

It’s nice to pull into a garage with stuff in your car on a wet day, shut the door behind you, and go inside.

Garages are important because it’s harder for people to steal your car or your rims or wheels or your catalytic converter. Most thieves care about speed and just use tow trucks to defeat modern tech in cars so even if a garage door can be force opened that’s a deal breaker.

Also it allows you to own stuff like a canoe. It’s just better storage

Even without a car a overhead door to an intermediary storage room is actually a great practical idea. In the future autonomous cars you don’t own may make garages outmoded but at the same time they are great for delivery services as you want your packages brought into a space that still has a second locked door to your house.

Maybe a compromise is to make the garage more architecturally appealing. What about good not shitty windows in the garage door? How about wood ones?

Also tradition dictates porches but garages have a cultural aspect. In my childhood neighborhood the door being left open was a signal someone was home and or amenable to interacting, kids can play, etc etc. Don’t remove this piece of language, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos