HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:50 AM
New Yorker for life

A Google Earth overview of the LIC area...

The waterfront area reportedly being considered by Amazon...

Some LIC charm...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:19 AM

Amazon to officially name Long Island City and Crystal City as new HQs: report

By Erin Hudson | November 12, 2018 09:48PM
http://therealdeal.com/2018/11/12/am...hern-virginia/

Jeff Bezos

Quote:
It’s about to be official: New York City and Washington, D.C. will soon be named the winners of Jeff Bezos’ golden tickets.

More than one year after its initial announcement, Amazon’s planned $5 billion HQ2 will be split among the neighborhoods of Long Island City in Queens and Crystal City around Washington, D.C., the Wall Street Journal reported late Monday. The e-commerce giant is expected to make an official announcement on Tuesday.

The competition that saw 238 cities across North America vie to become the site of the 50,000-person office kicked off on Sept. 7, 2017. By January, Amazon announced it had narrowed its list to 20 cities — including New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Chicago — and said it would make a decision by the end of 2018.

What followed was months of speculation and reports of under-the-radar assessments and site visits by Amazon representatives.
New York and D.C. are the largest non-Seattle office outposts for Amazon, so the decision is hardly a surprise despite the year-long public relations spectacle surrounding.

Analysts have predicted that a city near D.C. was the frontrunner since May. Then, last week, the New York Times reported that Amazon would split its second headquarters between Crystal City, a southwest neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia, and Long Island City, the closest Queens neighborhood to Manhattan.

Long Island City offers Amazon what many other areas can’t: the opportunity to create a company town. Few other neighborhoods in North America can absorb an influx of 25,000 well-paid tech workers coming to the area, which is largely because Long Island City has an oversupply in both residential and office stock.

The search for the site of HQ2 garnered criticism among the public and city officials across the country for Amazon’s request for tax breaks, despite it having hit a valuation over $1 trillion in September. On Friday, TRD reported that it could receive nearly $1 billion in tax breaks of-right in Long Island City, thanks to a program designed to encourage businesses to open in the outer boroughs and Northern Manhattan.

Though cities and economic development agencies were required to sign non-disclosure agreements keeping the offerings a secret, a court ruling forced Newark, New Jersey to disclose its package of tax sweeteners. And it was stunning: about $1 billion worth of incentives, part of a $7 billion package the state was prepared to hand over to Jeff Bezos. All for a company that briefly eclipsed a $1 trillion valuation in September. One anonymous group compared the battle for HQ2 as a “Hunger Games”-style death match.

The internal team responsible for developing and managing Amazon’s corporate offices is shockingly small. That’s particularly true considering Amazon occupies 19 percent of Seattle’s office stock alone, and is led by real estate chief John Schoettler, a source with knowledge of the company’s real estate teams told TRD in May. Schoettler’s entire team, which manages the company’s warehouses and retail properties, numbers fewer than 100, the source said.

Tags: amazon, Amazon HQ2, Commercial Real Estate

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 12:37 PM

I am legit worried about what this mean for the rent on my 2 BR Astoria apartment.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 1:09 PM

^ Oh no! Don't tell me you're going to turn NIMBY on us too?

Like that article said, there is still lots of new inventory within LIC so just hope they can keep new supply coming to meet the demand.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 1:21 PM

Expect all types of new proposals in and around LIC in next few months. NYC real estate was beginning to tread water but this might jolt it back to life again.

The city should look into rezoning more parts of LIC for high rises. Those birdseye pics NYguy showed with many of those warehouses are still zoned for low rise manufacturing.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 1:24 PM
BANNED

I hope that Amazon ignites gentrification of the Bronx. Many projects were already planned for the Bronx, but this could add fuel to the fire. The area around Yankee Stadium has amazing transit access and is poised for huge growth.

The same is true for Jamaica.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 1:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Here's the video of Delasio on NY1:

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/...ublic-advocate

Its in the middle of the clip. You get 4 free views with NY1 until you have to log in.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well this may be the shot in the arm the BQX tramway proposal needed to come to fruition.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well this may be the shot in the arm the BQX tramway proposal needed to come to fruition.
Oh god no.

Fix the subway instead and get MNRR/LIRR/NJT to serve Sunnyside.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:25 PM

I got the goods!! 1.5 million sqft building and a whole bunch of other juicy details including a site plan. Happy reading!

http://bit.ly/2TbfCBC

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Oh god no.

Think bigger. You know it's not either or right? Sunnyside station will happen regardless of BQX. And the last I checked its the lack of subway access to the waterfront that is the impetus for BQX.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Think bigger. You know it's not either or right? Sunnyside station will happen regardless of BQX.
BQX isn't thinking big, it's thinking expensive and (in large part) duplicative of the G.

Given the waterfront site I'm guessing the real transportation plan is a shitload more ferries that will cost a mountain of cash in subsidies.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
BQX isn't thinking big, it's thinking expensive and (in large part) duplicative of the G.
I emphatically disagree with you for a number of factual reasons, but this really isn't the conversation for it and will likely be deleted as off-topic so I'll just leave it at that. Time will tell and if I had to bet, I'd bet you are going to see sleek trams running up and down the East River waterfront in about 8 years, and people will scratch their heads why anyone ever opposed it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 3:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I hope that Amazon ignites gentrification of the Bronx.

The same is true for Jamaica.
Your gentrification crusade gets tiresome, and it's not what New York City is about, nor is it what makes it great.

Quote:
Oh god no.

The subway could be 100% fixed, and that still would not help or change the fact that LIC needs more transportation options, especially with Amazon on the way, and the entire Brooklyn/Queens east river waterfront being developed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The subway could be 100% fixed, and that still would not help or change the fact that LIC needs more transportation options, especially with Amazon on the way, and the entire Brooklyn/Queens east river waterfront being developed.
It's possible to agree but to disagree that the BQX is the right way to address this. Anyhoo if NYC decides to spend $4B on a streetcar that will very likely get to enjoy all the problems of existing SBS service then godspeed I guess. Maybe Amazon can buy the branding.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

^NYC is not spending 4 billion on a streetcar. Are you familiar with the PPP funding proposal for the BQX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes, and the route has the BQX on Vernon Blvd at the front door of the Amazon property. This tramway is getting built.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:12 PM
BANNED

This is massive news for NYC. It will cement the city’s status as the No. 2 tech center in the US, together with its unparalleled role in finance, advertising, media, etc!

I suspect that NY will eclipse CC in terms of job growth. This is where people want to be.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I got the goods!! 1.5 million sqft building and a whole bunch of other juicy details including a site plan. Happy reading!

http://bit.ly/2TbfCBC

Thanks. Turns out they will be going to the waterfront...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
^NYC is not spending 4 billion on a streetcar. Are you familiar with the PPP funding proposal for the BQX?
Very familiar with the financial plans, they don't work. The city government had to admit as much not long ago.

Last edited by k1052; Nov 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is nitpicky but I hope they don't de-map 45th Ave and 5th St, they add intimacy to the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive