HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Just read that individual units didn’t have sprinklers, but another article said the building had a system so maybe only in the corridors. Smoke detector in the unit wasn’t working, so it was too late.
I’m not so sure a smoke detector would have fully worked in this case. Especially a cheap ionization detector which can’t detect smoldering fires well.

The senior citizen who died was smoking cigarettes in bed when the fire started.

Fortunately, the interiors were non-combustible enough to slow the fire for emergency responders to help the neighbors.

When all else fails, construction quality is the last line of defense.

Last edited by galleyfox; Jan 27, 2023 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
See Scores of Unbuilt Frank Lloyd Wright Structures That Have Been Computer-Rendered With Incredible Realism

Of the more than 1,000 structures that the celebrated American architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed, more than half were unbuilt—or worse, demolished—by the time of his death in 1959 at the age of 91.

But now, Spanish architect David Romero has collaborated with the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation to show how those projects might have looked today. The new renderings include the Gordon Strong Automobile Objective, a planetarium proposed in 1925, as well as the National Life Insurance building, the floating cabins of Summer Colony on Lake Tahoe, and his most famous unrealized structure, a mile-high skyscraper in Chicago known as the Illinois.

More: https://news.artnet.com/art-world/fr...erings-2246873

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:03 AM

Grand & Clark (between 1962-68)

https://twitter.com/chi_geek/status/1620475404615303169

Grand & Clark (2021)

Last edited by Randomguy34; Feb 1, 2023 at 4:28 AM. Reason: Got the address wrong

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 11:46 AM

wow they screwed up that. Great pics!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 2:06 PM

That makes me sad. Much better back in the 60s right there..

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:03 PM

Harry Weiner and Hotel Wacker in the same shot....well done!!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:26 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:52 PM

^^^ That won't capture lightning in a bottle like ours does.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
It looks more like The Bun rather than The Bean

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
^^^ That won't capture lightning in a bottle like ours does.
Just look at the picture, it reflects a bunch of banal 7 story tenements.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:13 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Hey Chicagoans. Would love your thoughts on >>this post<< I just started in City Discussions about the Early Chicago Skyscrapers sitting on the tentative list for UNESCO designation since 2017. I tried to search for past discussion about this, but I couldn’t find anything. Personally, I think it would be amazing for the Printers Row/South Loop area that needs some enlivening.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:54 PM

Construction Physics Substack posted a great breakdown of skyscraper construction speed that reflects favorably on Chicago's construction industry compared to NYC.

Here's the conclusion:

Quote:
To sum up, construction speed of New York skyscrapers has declined significantly over time, particularly after 1970. Depending on the metric you use, modern New York skyscrapers are built at 40-70% the speed of those built in the 1940s-60s, and around a third of the speed of those built in the 1930s (though the unusually fast Empire State Building distorts the data here.) Chicago, the only other US city that has built significant numbers of skyscrapers for many decades, doesn’t show this same pattern of decline (though it also doesn’t build as fast as it once did), and New York skyscrapers are built at around 50-70% the speed of Chicago skyscrapers. This seems partially due to New York constructing many more skinny skyscrapers with very small floor plates than Chicago does, which take proportionately longer to build.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:25 PM
1st Ward

Huh, interesting. Good news for the city. Speedier/more efficient construction makes tall buildings more economical to build for developers, which is of course a net positive for skyscraper nerds like us!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 8:58 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

This has probably been discussed before, but why does Chicago not have a permanent public market downtown somewhere? (One that hopefully would sell normal produce in addition to bougie waffle balls). Has this ever existed or been proposed? The closest thing I guess is French Market but that's mostly a food hall...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:42 PM
TL;DR

I think Mr. D weighed in on this a few years ago. Historically there was wholesale grocery in the Haymarket/Randolph area and the South Water Market on what is now Wacker Drive, but not really public markets like you see in Europe (or Cleveland, lol). Probably in the early days these markets sold directly to consumers on a small scale, but the rapid commercial growth of downtown soon pushed most of the residents to outlying neighborhoods. Downtown became strictly a business district and the downtown markets focused in on wholesale only by ~the 1890s.

Out in the neighborhoods, Chicagoans did their shopping at countless small grocers, often with a particular ethnic specialty. I assume all those small grocers had political power, so the city never stepped in to build neighborhood-level public markets that might compete with them. Eventually the small grocers gave way to larger supermarket chains (A&P, Jewel, etc) that combined greengrocer, butcher, fish, dry goods, bakery, floral, and eventually pharmacy/liquor under one roof and importantly provided parking for shoppers.

Later even the wholesale markets moved out of downtown, ironically to make way for new waves of residential. The South Water Market moved to 15th/Blue Island in the 20s and then to Damen/Blue Island in the 2000s. Obviously the meatpackers moved out of Fulton Market in the 2010s...

I guess we could fix the "mistake" and build a market today, but what would be the purpose? Downtown residents are already fairly well-served by supermarkets, although there's room for improvement. If the point is tourism, what exactly would the market offer? There are some good producers out there, but the Midwest doesn't have the rich bounty of California, Spain or Italy. We have a short growing season and most farmers are growing corn or soybeans. The existing farmer's market system is excellent, but if you shop there you quickly figure out that the good stuff is only available for 4 months out of the year. Not really enough to support a permanent structure.

Milwaukee of course has a great public market, but I think part of the rationale for building it was to provide a grocery option to the Third Ward so the residential population could keep growing. I assume private grocery chains were not interested in building there, or at least weren't interested in an urban format. We don't really have that issue in downtown Chicago.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 7, 2023 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 4:53 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think Mr. D weighed in on this a few years ago. Historically there was wholesale grocery in the Haymarket/Randolph area and the South Water Market on what is now Wacker Drive, but not really public markets like you see in Europe (or Cleveland, lol). Probably in the early days these markets sold directly to consumers on a small scale, but the rapid commercial growth of downtown soon pushed most of the residents to outlying neighborhoods. Downtown became strictly a business district and the downtown markets focused in on wholesale only by ~the 1890s.

Out in the neighborhoods, Chicagoans did their shopping at countless small grocers, often with a particular ethnic specialty. I assume all those small grocers had political power, so the city never stepped in to build neighborhood-level public markets that might compete with them. Eventually the small grocers gave way to larger supermarket chains (A&P, Jewel, etc) that combined greengrocer, butcher, fish, dry goods, bakery, floral, and eventually pharmacy/liquor under one roof and importantly provided parking for shoppers.

Later even the wholesale markets moved out of downtown, ironically to make way for new waves of residential. The South Water Market moved to 15th/Blue Island in the 20s and then to Damen/Blue Island in the 2000s. Obviously the meatpackers moved out of Fulton Market in the 2010s...

I guess we could fix the "mistake" and build a market today, but what would be the purpose? Downtown residents are already fairly well-served by supermarkets, although there's room for improvement. If the point is tourism, what exactly would the market offer? There are some good producers out there, but the Midwest doesn't have the rich bounty of California, Spain or Italy. We have a short growing season and most farmers are growing corn or soybeans. The existing farmer's market system is excellent, but if you shop there you quickly figure out that the good stuff is only available for 4 months out of the year. Not really enough to support a permanent structure.

Milwaukee of course has a great public market, but I think part of the rationale for building it was to provide a grocery option to the Third Ward so the residential population could keep growing. I assume private grocery chains were not interested in building there, or at least weren't interested in an urban format. We don't really have that issue in downtown Chicago.
I was thinking of both Milwaukee and Cleveland as localish examples, and places like Jean Talon in Montreal as a reach example (in perhaps a worse climate for growing...). I think it would probably be a mixture of tourists, downtown residents/commuters and a general city-wide hangout spot.

Sure we don't NEED one, but it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Not that I know where to put it, should one exist. The Robert Morris Center (which I think is basically empty now?)? That area of downtown isn't very close to any grocer...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 5:03 PM

In terms of produce Maxwell Street market used to fulfill that need albeit it was only open on sundays. It still exists but its sadly a shell of it's former self.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 5:30 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Streetsblog Chicago editor John Greenfield is in the hospital after being injured by debris from a truck in downstate Marion. https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/4/...thern-illinois

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Streetsblog Chicago editor John Greenfield is in the hospital after being injured by debris from a truck in downstate Marion. https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/4/...thern-illinois

Very sad, critical situation. prayers indeed.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 5:33 PM

Record hotel and visitor revenue for Chicago surpasses 2019

https://gov.illinois.gov/news/press-release.26700.html

With Commercial in the doldrums Residential and Hospitality seems up to the task of picking up the slack.

This is green light for Tribune East baby!

Note: Fiscal years in IL end June 30 so '23 is done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest