HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:48 AM

Standardville, Utah Ghost town

My friend and I decided to head down south to check out the ghost towns of Carbon County Utah here are some photos of what we discovered in Standardville. Hope you guys enjoy!

Quote:
The town was established after coal was discovered in Spring Canyon in 1912. The town layout was planned with well maintained lawns, bushes, and poplar trees. This became the "standard" for coal mining towns in Spring Canyon, and the town was named Standardville.[2] As Standardville's population increased, a company store, several apartments, a butcher shop, a barber shop, a hospital, a recreation hall, tennis courts, and an elementary school were constructed. At its peak, the population was about 550.[3] Although it was considered the standard for mining towns, Standardville still had problems with crime. On June 14, 1922, several miners went on strike and attacked a train carrying several new miners from both sides. The striking miners then fled and were pursued by mine guards. The shooting that occurred killed a mine guard and wounded two others.[4]

On February 6, 1930, an explosion caused by firedamp gas occurred in the Standard mine. Of the 29 miners that were working in the mine, 20 were immediately killed by the explosion. Rescue workers attempted to rescue the nine survivors, and while they were searching, a cave-in killed three of them. The nine survivors were able to escape.[5] The explosion had a large impact on the mine and community; however, the town continued to grow.

When World War II ended, the demand for coal decreased, and the mine was unable to meet its payroll as a result. In an attempt to save the mine, miners worked only for food. This attempt was unsuccessful, and the mine went bankrupt and was foreclosed on. Another coal mining company bought it, and shipments continued a couple months later. By 1948, the mine was being operated by the Spring Canyon Coal Company; however, in 1950, the mine was closed. As miners moved away, shops, the hospital, and the school were closed. Despite this, two families continued to live in the town until the 1970s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standardville,_Utah

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:17 PM

Very interesting photos! And interesting history of the place, too.

There's something I find fascinating about ruins, whether they be ancient, or abandoned ghost towns like this, or even abandoned buildings.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:41 PM
Me?!?

Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
There's something I find fascinating about ruins, whether they be ancient, or abandoned ghost towns like this, or even abandoned buildings.

Same

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 6:21 AM

Great pics, thanks for sharing these!

Reminds me of Sierra Gordo, and the awesome YouTube channel the guys there have set up: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEj...QI4TgzT9YLNT8g

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:21 AM

Awesome!

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:40 AM

Nice pictures! I love seeing a good ghost town!

Did you find that stuff with a metal detector? Or with the naked eye? Or was it already there and you sorted it out for a picture?

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:23 AM

Hey, I found it all by walking through a deep wash that runs below the town. I gathered up whatever I found interesting and piled it up for a picture, and left them behind.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 5:49 AM

I like those detail shots as well as the contrast with the beauty of that landscape. I always think of ghost towns as places that were abandoned by the turn of 1900 but this is clearly an example that my perceptions are often way off in regards to these places! 1950!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 8:44 PM

Impressive pictures! I am looking for photos of mines and some natural resources places, so you delighted me. I am a student interested in free essays from the Envrexperts service about mineral resources and those who work for their gaining. Recently, I have read more information in an essay about a revelation of the horrid living conditions of coal minners. I found that the coal company treats them not at all as one responsible for its employees should do it. So, this is why these pictures of the town established after the coal discovery in Spring Canyon in 1912 attract me. I hope the living conditions of coal miners will be taken into account by the coal companies.

Last edited by BradStaton; Jul 17, 2022 at 5:03 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos