HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:55 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Have you ever eaten Duke's Mayonnaise?

This right here, if you aren't familiar:

Source.

Apparently, according to those in the know, it's the third-largest mayonnaise brand in America.

It was first manufactured here, at what is now the Wyche Pavilion behind the Peace Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greenville. Now though, it is manufactured here, in a suburb of Greenville, seven miles away from where the company started operations downtown in 1917.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Apparently, something like 30 states in the US currently offer some sort of incentives to attract the movie industry. Michigan enacted some pretty competitive incentives during the Great Recession as a way to attract jobs back to the state. And they were pretty aggressive - credits could allow a film production to recoup up to 42% of its expenses if filming in the state. Some of the more-recognizable films that took advantage of these credits include:
  • Transformers Franchise
  • Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • Gran Torino
But it was fairly short-lived, only from 2008 - 2015, when the film credits were ended. It did leave some small film production entities that still continue to this day, and there is a current push in the state legislature to bring back the credits again. Sadly, even when a movie is meant to take place principally in Michigan or Detroit, it is often filmed elsewhere where costs are lower, often in Canada.

oh yeah, same in ohio. people went round and round with the state about that until they came up with the tax incentive breaks, then the state later threatened to take them away, or maybe did for a bit, but now they are back. its all very competitive, but a lot of people have long felt ohio belongs in the game. and indeed the advocacy is paying back well -- this blurb was from 2018:

Hollywood is in the business of make-believe, but its economic impact in Northeast Ohio is very real.

The film and television industry has brought more than 100 projects to town over the past decade, pumping more than $500 million into the local economy and creating the equivalent of 3,000 full-time jobs. Jobs like grips, electricians, caterers, accountants, insurance agents, drivers, medics and more.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:44 PM

Interior Alaska gave the world ranch dressing, and Bob Ross his love of nature scenes.

Steve Henson, the inventor of ranch dressing, developed the recipe as a contractor out of Fairbanks. He started selling it after moving back Outside to California.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:41 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Have you ever eaten Duke's Mayonnaise?

This right here, if you aren't familiar:

Source.

Apparently, according to those in the know, it's the third-largest mayonnaise brand in America.

It was first manufactured here, at what is now the Wyche Pavilion behind the Peace Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greenville. Now though, it is manufactured here, in a suburb of Greenville, seven miles away from where the company started operations downtown in 1917.
i had never heard of Duke's until i moved to Virginia back in 2007. i consider myself somewhat of a mayonnaise connoisseur, and Duke's is the best mayonnaise i've ever had. f*cking love Duke's.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:51 AM
Meh

Dazed and Confused. It was set in a fictional town, but the movie was filmed in Austin. Bedichek Middle School where I went was the filming location for the fictional high school.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...ual-fundraiser

They're walking out of the woodshop classroom here into the little hallway that leads out to the main one. The school cafeteria is to the left in the main hall. When I was there in '93, which was the same year the movie was released, that mural was still there. I used to catch the school bus home every day through those double doors.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:24 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
i had never heard of Duke's until i moved to Virginia back in 2007. i consider myself somewhat of a mayonnaise connoisseur, and Duke's is the best mayonnaise i've ever had. f*cking love Duke's.
The factory that makes Duke's says you're welcome! It's been fun to learn things about this city since I moved here a few months ago... I remember we drove back and forth by this factory as we were looking at various houses in the area and I thought it was kind of funny to find out what they made there.

For what it's worth, the Duke's Mayonnaise company was founded by a woman, Eugenia Duke, who started out selling sandwiches in 1917 to soldiers at a nearby National Guard camp during World War I. For the first several years of her company's existence she cranked out batches of mayonnaise at her home, to the point that she eventually had to build another kitchen on her property to keep up with demand. She lived on Manly Street in what is now the Pettigru Historic District next to downtown Greenville. I'm not sure which house she lived in, but a Google Streetview trip down Manly rather makes me think it's not one of the ones that survived, unfortunately.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

tennessee williams hated st louis but he graduated high school two blocks from where i sit now.

anyway, id be here all day.

Last edited by Centropolis; Mar 5, 2021 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:43 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
tennessee williams hated st louis but he graduated high school two blocks from where i sit now.

Well, if you had the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels to read, at least you'd have something to do while you're here all day. They're mostly set in and around St. Louis, and at the beginning they followed Anita Blake, Missouri's official state vampire executioner, as she solved mysteries. Over time, they evolved into just flat-out smut, and are pretty much all fucking at this point from first page to last.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

St. Louis has really been a pretty significant city in American culture and history.

(And of course a big part of this is that historically it ranked higher among the country's largest cities.)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 9:14 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ don't forget:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Well, if you had the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels to read, at least you'd have something to do while you're here all day. They're mostly set in and around St. Louis, and at the beginning they followed Anita Blake, Missouri's official state vampire executioner, as she solved mysteries. Over time, they evolved into just flat-out smut, and are pretty much all fucking at this point from first page to last.
ha, interesting...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
^ don't forget:

oh man. king. <3

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:40 AM

i was at william s. burroughs grave in north st louis city once and there was a big fucking pumpkin vine growing out of it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:14 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
oh man. king. <3
vincent price last man on earth version > chuck heston omega man version > big willie style i am legend version

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:56 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Edmonton:

The proper version of "The Chicken Dance". I even danced to this version LIVE!

Video Link

There is also the oft covered "The Rodeo Song". Garry Lee was also the writer for Cheech & Chong where Tommy of the duo is also from Edmonton.

Video Link

And then there is what American fiddlers call one of the most difficult waltzes to play, if only because Canadians insist on their waltzes being fast. The "Ookpik Waltz" is usually given to American fiddlers as a grandmaster challenge.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:31 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ nice version of the chicken dance, it is certainly a common wedding staple, although it was written in the 1950s in switzerland.

so, why am i not surprized cleveland leads the world in, err ...

head transplants.

is that pop culture?

not for the squeamish:

https://www.wired.com/story/if-you-t...usness-follow/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions