HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 10:10 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

I recognize that these school improvements are planned across many years, but a $1 billion public bond passage has to be some sort of record, at least in Michigan. Here's the homepage for the 2019 Bond.

Quote:
Ann Arbor district outlines plans for building upgrades covered in its $1 billion bond issue
Mike Kennedy | American School & University
December 7, 2020

In other news, Vic Village South held its "groundbreaking" on Friday, December 12. This photo was shared by Hobbs & Black via Instagram. Seems like a rather impromptu photo shoot -

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 10:54 PM

It's a nice building and all, but I feel like Ann Arbor has lost the "college town" vibe with more of these large coarse grain developments. Granted, the buildings it replaces are certainly not spectacular, but the pedestrian scale gets lost. This perspective could easily be mistaken for Chicago's west loop.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 5:07 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
It's a nice building and all, but I feel like Ann Arbor has lost the "college town" vibe with more of these large coarse grain developments. Granted, the buildings it replaces are certainly not spectacular, but the pedestrian scale gets lost. This perspective could easily be mistaken for Chicago's west loop.
Yeah. No question - the character of A2 has changed a lot in the past decade. It's happening in a lot of other places too though. Even just looking at Big 10 University towns - E. Lansing, State College, Madison... they are all getting denser. Ann Arbor might be near the top of the list, in terms of overall visual impact changes, due to the density and height.

~

Nearby, Wacker Chemical recently broke ground on its $50 regional HQ in Pittsfield Charter Township. You can watch the virtual groundbreaking ceremony, which includes some renderings, here. Actually, they broke ground in October, but I just found this video. It is being built in a field located at 4950 S. State Rd. (close to the Ann Arbor Municipal Airport), with a March 2022 estimated completion date.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 3:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Demolition at 1100 S. University Ave. (& adjoining property) is pretty far along for Vic Village South -

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 15, 2021 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Ann Arbor is working to adopt a new transportation plan. A key tenet of it is taking steps to create "20 Minute Neighborhoods" everywhere throughout the city. The new transportation plan is designed to mesh with recent zoning changes and with zoning changes planned over the next few years that will encourage walkability and mixed-use development. The goal is that every resident will be in a 20-minute neighborhood by 2030, which sounds ambitious at first. But apparently about 80% of the city already meets the definition, below -

Quote:
“A 20-minute neighborhood is a place where residents can meet most of their daily, non-work needs (like shopping, groceries, parks, and schools) within a safe, convenient 20-minute walk,” the plan states. “Today, eight out of ten Ann Arbor residents live within a 20-minute walk of a school, grocery store, general retail and a park. However, people of color are 37% more likely to live in a neighborhood with limited access compared to white Ann Arbor residents.”

Source: MLive | City of Ann Arbor

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:41 PM
somewhere in-between

Jackson -

If there's no objections, I'm going to mention a Jackson, MI project on here (in the interest of looking more regionally, beyond just A2 city limits) -

The Jackson YMCA just announced a major capital campaign to fill a funding gap in their efforts to construct a new facility. They have already raised close to $21 million and are now officially partnering with Granger Construction Co. and Bergmann (A&E) for further design & cost evaluations. It's a bit unclear from the news release, but I get the impression that this would be built at the location of their existing downtown facilities (either adjacent-to, a complete teardown, or a significant remodel / addition).

Quote:
Jackson YMCA Announces Bergmann as Architect/Engineer for New Facility
Stacy Lake | Bergmann - News
January 14, 2021

JACKSON, MI - Believing that form follows function and having moved through the development of a program-focused facility design, the Jackson YMCA has selected two organizations to round out its capital campaign design and construction team. The YMCA Board of Directors, acting on recommendations of its campaign Building and Design Committee, selected Granger Construction Co. as the project’s construction manager and Bergmann as the YMCA’s architect/engineer. The committee and both firms are working closely with Gro Development Inc., a leader in the development, design and management of YMCAs and other community-based facilities...
Conceptual Rendering -

Source: Bergmann

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 15, 2021 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:48 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

I think I missed sharing this on here.

Quote:
24 Ann Arbor developments to watch in 2021
Ryan Stanton | MLive
January 03, 2021
If you get through the paywall, it is full of renderings, progress photos, and updates for numerous projects around A2, including:
  1. The Standard Apartments, under construction
  2. Veridian at County Farm, approved
  3. 151 E. Hoover Ave. Apartments, under construction
  4. 211 Packard Mixed Use Proposal
  5. The Gallery Condos at 441 S. Ashley St., under construction
  6. Valhalla Apartment Complex Proposal
  7. 309 N. Ashley St. Condos, under construction
  8. Vic Village South, pre-construction
  9. Broadway Park West, approved
  10. Lockwood Senior Housing, proposed (initial approvals)
  11. Brightdawn Village Condos, approved
  12. Near North Condos, proposed
  13. Unnamed Highrise behind Michigan Theater, proposed
  14. Fairfield Inn Hotel, NW corner of Huron and First streets, proposed
  15. Unnamed highrise, Y Lot, 350 S. Fifth Ave., proposed
  16. Liberty Townhomes Apartments, approved
  17. 4M Housing Development, complete early 2021
  18. Beekman on Broadway Apartments, Phase 1 complete, 2 phases to go
  19. The Garnet Condo Development at 325 E. Summit St., proposed
  20. Main and Davis Student Apartments at 907 - 913 S. Main St., proposed
  21. The Madison on Main Apartments, delayed (construction might resume in 2021)
  22. The Glen Mixed-Use Development w/ Hotel, delayed (might break ground in 2021)
  23. Ann Arbor Campus Motel, delayed
  24. 327 E. Hoover Ave. Apartments, delayed
For my own sanity, I'm not going to try and post images of all of them on here right now. Suffice to say, there is still a LOT going on, and A2 continues to grow UP, literally. I really wish someone local was more involved on here to keep us all updated!

Oh and by the way, in ADDITION to the above,

The city is having a tough time keeping up with the growth. As a result (at least partially), officials are now in talks to revise zoning to allow larger buildings outside of downtown, oriented along key transit corridors like Plymouth Road, Fuller Road, State Street, Jackson Avenue, and Washtenaw Avenue.

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 3, 2022 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 12:29 AM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Quote:
538 new houses, condos and apartments proposed on Ann Arbor’s north side
Ryan Stanton
February 09, 2021

ANN ARBOR, MI — A major housing development on a 64-acre site could bring 538 new homes to Ann Arbor’s north side, along with nature trails and new connections to Leslie Park. The new community, dubbed the “Village of Ann Arbor,” would rise between the Arrowwood Hills housing cooperative to the south and the Northside Ridge condos to the north and west. An initial conceptual plan calls for a variety of rental and for-sale homes, including 78 townhomes with two-car garages, 67 townhomes with one-car garages, 48 units of townhomes over flats, 45 single-family homes and 300 apartments.

Source: MLive | Land Design Studio courtesy of Robertson Brothers Homes

Meanwhile... REDICO's 167-unit Hoover+Greene apartment development at 950 Greene St. is wrapping up construction. It's a stone's throw from the Big House. Pre-leasing has begun for the first tenants which are expected to be able to start moving in this June -

Source: MLive

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 4:25 AM

^ Way better than what was there.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 2:15 PM
somewhere in-between

I agree it's much better. Hopefully some of the vacant lots around there follow.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:47 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Here are some recent photos of the newly-completed addition to UMich's LS&A building (addition designed by SmithGroup). I think it looks great, and I appreciate the obvious yet subtle maize & blue color & material palette. Now they just need to get some more humans in there -

Source: LinkedIn | Walbridge

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:21 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Just sharing a few more renderings of Hoover+Greene, which is slated to open this Spring. I don't think these have been posted on here before, at least not the interior renderings. That is a heck of a view of the big house!

Source: clickondetroit.com | Courtesy REDICO

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:10 AM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

COVID-19 delayed this massive project. Now work is expected to begin in the coming months, with an estimated 2025 completion -

Quote:
Michigan Medicine to resume construction on $920 million hospital
Jeff Lagasse | Healthcare Finance
March 12, 2021
2019 Rendering -

Source: The Detroit News

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:08 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor

Lots of recent press out there on the opening of the new Ford Robotics Building on U of M's north campus. The $75 million, 134,000 SF, 4-story facility is devoted to advanced robotics and serves as the new hub of the UM Robotics Institute -

Quote:
Ford partners with University of Michigan in $75M robotics facility
Steve Marowski | MLive
March 16, 2021
Quote:
Ford, University of Michigan open new robotics complex
Motorway America News
March 17, 2021

Source: MLive | Courtesy Ford / Tanya Moutzalias

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Here are a few more photos of Hoover+Greene, posted about a week ago -

Source: LinkedIn | Knight Transfer Services

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:54 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

U of M was recently awarded Lab Manager’s 2021 Lab Design Award for Excellence in Innovation for its new Biological Sciences Building & Museum of Natural History. The 300,000 SF, LEED Gold facility opened in Fall 2018 ($261 million construction cost). It was designed by SmithGroup and Ennead Architects. The building unites lab research space with the Museum of Natural History. I don't think finished photos were ever posted on SSP. Here are a few -

Source: SmithGroup

[IMG]Source: SmithGroup[/IMG]

Source: MLive | Jacob Hamilton

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:40 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor -

Crews at the Standard Ann Arbor are starting work on floor 4 of 10 now -

Source: LinkedIn | Spence Brothers

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:12 PM
The City

Thanks for all of the AA updates. I haven't been there in many years (perhaps 5?).

Now that we are in the twilight of this pandemic, I'm thinking a trip will be in order either this summer or summer of 2022

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Thanks for all of the AA updates. I haven't been there in many years (perhaps 5?).

Now that we are in the twilight of this pandemic, I'm thinking a trip will be in order either this summer or summer of 2022
I passed through last December and couldn’t believe how much has changed, mostly on the edges of the business districts. Gone are the 1 story commercial buildings at south main with new midrises. South U has been nearly totally demolished for new buildings. All that remains original is Pinball Pete’s and Good Time Charlie’s.

It’s all better urban density, but lacks the energy the fine grain commercial composition that gave it the college town vibe. It feels very West Loop Chicago now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:46 PM
somewhere in-between

Jackson -

Jumping to nearby Jackson, just to mention that Jackson Public Schools recently celebrated the opening of Cascades Elementary. It is the first new school building built in that district in over half a century!

Source: MLive

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest