HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Nunavut won their first ever match at the Brier this week, defeating Newfoundland 7-4. Nunavut had lost 43 consecutive matches at the Brier dating back to 2015 prior to this tournament.
I love seeing the territories do well at these events. I've seen some people upset that there was no Inuk on the team, but hopefully this victory will help boost the popularity of the sport in Nunavut and make that more common.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 1:18 AM

Was amazed at this, it was almost if she was really flying. Maybe it was the way it was shot or the seemingly long time on the jumping ramp but a ski jump has never hit me like this one.

Calgary's Alexandria Loutitt breaks ski jumping world record in training
cbc.ca March 18 2023

19-year-old ski jumper Alexandria Loutitt of Calgary sets a new women's world record of 222 metres during a training run in Vikersund, Norway. Loutitt smashes the previous record of 212.5 metres which was held by Maren Lundby of Norway.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 2:46 AM

How does a record get absolutely destroyed like that? I'd love if a site put together a list of world records that got smashed across all sports.

I seem to recall Usain Bolt smashing the 100m record by a sizeable amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Was amazed at this, it was almost if she was really flying. Maybe it was the way it was shot or the seemingly long time on the jumping ramp but a ski jump has never hit me like this one.

Calgary's Alexandria Loutitt breaks ski jumping world record in training
cbc.ca March 18 2023

19-year-old ski jumper Alexandria Loutitt of Calgary sets a new women's world record of 222 metres during a training run in Vikersund, Norway. Loutitt smashes the previous record of 212.5 metres which was held by Maren Lundby of Norway.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
How does a record get absolutely destroyed like that? I'd love if a site put together a list of world records that got smashed across all sports.
Bob Beamon's long jump is probably one of the most famous. Another one I know that is really not common knowledge was Don Jackson's triple lutz in Prague in 1962. It took 12 years before it was done again in competition. It was also probably the greatest skate of all time taking everything into account. Gretzky and Babe Ruth revolutionized their sports by being so far ahead of everyone else.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 11:44 AM

For another individual in team sports, Don Bradman in cricket was far and away above anyone else with his test batting average. Incrediby, the second placed guy didn't make his test debut until aged 35, hence only 20 tests played.

mouse tap test

Last edited by megadude; Mar 20, 2023 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Bob Beamon's long jump is probably one of the most famous. Another one I know that is really not common knowledge was Don Jackson's triple lutz in Prague in 1962. It took 12 years before it was done again in competition. It was also probably the greatest skate of all time taking everything into account. Gretzky and Babe Ruth revolutionized their sports by being so far ahead of everyone else.
The technology has gotten a to better, also the women's program is almost equal to the men's now for technical abilities. Plus when you get a superb athlete with proper training its amazing what they can do when they start to believe in themselves. Just wished we had the financial abilities to help more athletes.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

We have few posters with kids in hockey here, but maybe Esquire or some others will see this.

Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time at the Centre Slush Puppie over the winter, and it's a complex with four rinks, one a CHL arena and the other three are community ice pads.

I noticed that even once on a Monday late afternoon (barely 5 pm) there were groups of men in the parking garage having beers and listening to music outside their vehicles.

I might expect this during a weekend hockey tournament but is this is a thing that hockey dads do?

I wouldn't mention it if I hadn't seen it 3-4 times with different groups over the winter.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:10 PM

^ They were doing this while their kids were having a practice?

I've never seen that personally. 99% of parents on my kid's teams sit around and watch from the stands. Maybe the parking lot parties happen but I don't get invited I'd associate that more with beer league hockey than with kids sports.

I will say that no other activity my kids engage in sees parents bond as much as with hockey. Baseball, ringette, dance, etc. I can barely recognize the other parents. Somehow hockey is different, you really get to know the other parents in that milieu.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I've never seen that personally. 99% of parents on my kid's teams sit around and watch from the stands. Maybe the parking lot parties happen but I don't get invited I'd associate that more with beer league hockey than with kids sports.

I will say that no other activity my kids engage in sees parents bond as much as with hockey. Baseball, ringette, dance, etc. I can barely recognize the other parents. Somehow hockey is different, you really get to know the other parents in that milieu.
Actually, you may be right - this could be beer league hockey as opposed to hockey dads.

I believe that most arenas now ban alcohol in the locker rooms (we always used to have beer in there when I played decades ago) but perhaps they're forced out to the parking garage now. Still officially illegal of course, but more tolerated.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:23 PM

I'm fairly certain that beer/alcohol is officially illegal in the dressing rooms at most if not all recreational arenas around here (maybe the privately-run ones have liquor licenses), but it is not at all uncommon to show up for, say, ringette practice at 5:30 and have the entire dressing room smelling like beer with a pile of empties in the garbage can. I think that part of hockey culture lives on

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 7:53 PM

It appears that football at Simon Fraser University has come to an end, at least for now. Their NCAA DII conference kicked them out and they couldn't find anywhere else to play. According to football guy Jim Mullin, Canada West/USports refused to let them come back. So after 57 years, there will be no more football at SFU.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 8:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It appears that football at Simon Fraser University has come to an end, at least for now. Their NCAA DII conference kicked them out and they couldn't find anywhere else to play. According to football guy Jim Mullin, Canada West/USports refused to let them come back. So after 57 years, there will be no more football at SFU.
Wasn't that the number one producer of CFL players at one time?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
According to football guy Jim Mullin, Canada West/USports refused to let them come back. So after 57 years, there will be no more football at SFU.
U Sports is saying SFU didn't submit an application to rejoin. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a political rather than football thing. I would be very interested to see the background of the SFU administrator who pulled the plug.

I was surprised to see their poor record in the US was also matched by a poor record in CIS (16–47–2) from 2002 to 2009

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 10:15 PM

^ In that case, I wonder if SFU didn't bother applying in the first place since they probably knew USports wouldn't let them in unless they went all in with moving all their sports to USports.

SFU has such a weird mindset. Their football program became a joke, getting routinely thrashed by random directional schools, and now they've been kicked out of NCAA football altogether.

To answer Acajack's question, I'm not sure if SFU was ever the leading producer of CFL players, but they certainly did send a good number of players to the pros over the years.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 10:29 PM

UBC beat them playing American rules the last time they met. This doesn't smell right, I'd say there is more than football involved.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 10:31 PM

Seems to me that SFU needs to take a time out and rethink what it wants out of its sports program.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wasn't that the number one producer of CFL players at one time?
Historically, they have had the most draft picks but I doubt the old amount of player production has been true for a long time. Since the "professionalizing" (CFL players and coaches returning to run U Sports teams) of many of the U Sports teams, teams like Laval, Montreal, Man, Sask, and UBC have come to the fore along with a much higher caliber of player (than previously) coming from NCAA.

Last edited by elly63; Apr 10, 2023 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We have few posters with kids in hockey here, but maybe Esquire or some others will see this.

Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time at the Centre Slush Puppie over the winter, and it's a complex with four rinks, one a CHL arena and the other three are community ice pads.

I noticed that even once on a Monday late afternoon (barely 5 pm) there were groups of men in the parking garage having beers and listening to music outside their vehicles.

I might expect this during a weekend hockey tournament but is this is a thing that hockey dads do?

I wouldn't mention it if I hadn't seen it 3-4 times with different groups over the winter.
Quote:

My first thought was beer league - we do the exact same thing in the park after rugby practice - but 5pm is weirdly early in the day for that, no?

I like to use the "No alcohol" signs in dressing rooms as a bottle opener

Edit: early in the day for men's hockey, not for beers

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 6:13 PM

Switch to cycling, MAMILS tend to finish rides at breweries or pubs. At least my group does. And if that's now available then Pops in the parking lot or find a good bakery.

If you time your rides right you can get a good deck place just as the pub opens.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 8:50 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that beer/alcohol is officially illegal in the dressing rooms at most if not all recreational arenas around here (maybe the privately-run ones have liquor licenses), but it is not at all uncommon to show up for, say, ringette practice at 5:30 and have the entire dressing room smelling like beer with a pile of empties in the garbage can. I think that part of hockey culture lives on
I was head coach of a U15 team this winter and the garbage can in one of our dressing rooms was filled to overflowing with empty beer cans....the kids were all marveling at it and one looked over at me in amazement and said...."coach, do you actually drink beer in your beer league?"

I said, yup, that's my goal for the season....making sure you guys are good enough to play beer league in five years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada