HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:20 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
FYI, I don't think you have (anywhere near) an accurate view of my values / ethics
Let’s put it this way: neither my brother or BIL are very motivated by money. Regardless of the ‘ethics’, you clearly have a degree of wealth which far surpasses most. They can’t be bothered to care as they overthink things (paralysis by analysis). Also very pessimistic views demotivate them from trying things.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:23 PM

^^But do we actually know if he's as big a deal as he says he is tho?

I've never had a consistent result other than _ _T_ but I haven't paid much attention to Myers Briggs in years. Big 5 seems to have somewhat more scientific support

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I have pre-GFC posts from 2007 that document how I was using leverage to buy a bunch of commercial real estate in my midsized Canadian city, which back then was dirt cheap with decent cap rates. I had no idea back then that the next 15 years would bring so much value gains.

As I explained to you already, if there were intact unedited posts from 2010 by user dleung explaining that he's chosen to invest all his spare money into this newish crypto thing called bitcoin, then Occam's Razor would say that when dleung mentions he's a billionaire nowadays, he's totally credible.

You don't find it credible that there are people in Canada who became multimillionaires thanks to real estate in the last 15-20 years? It strains credibility, to you? You must have been living under a rock!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Let’s put it this way: neither my brother or BIL are very motivated by money. Regardless of the ‘ethics’, you clearly have a degree of wealth which far surpasses most. They can’t be bothered to care as they overthink things (paralysis by analysis). Also very pessimistic views demotivate them from trying things.
I branched into real estate because of a love for history and architecture. I became cynical only fairly recently. It's not really money, at some point you just enjoy "playing the game" and the challenge of growing what you have. Walt in Breaking Bad expresses this pretty well, if you want an example.

Interestingly, I had a chat recently with the business partner of one guy who's been in the news here buying up everything he could downtown (he's got a Montreal partner who's got extremely deep pockets), and she mentioned how managing low-end real estate (that's what he's buying: he then gentrifies) has made her lose faith in people in general, and she's turning into a sociopath. I said I wasn't surprised

Good point about "paralysis by analysis": you absolutely cannot afford that in real estate.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Not sure if Lio is a "big deal", but I can confirm to you guys that he is who he says he is.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 11:46 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I branched into real estate because of a love for history and architecture. I became cynical only fairly recently. It's not really money, at some point you just enjoy "playing the game" and the challenge of growing what you have. Walt in Breaking Bad expresses this pretty well, if you want an example.

Interestingly, I had a chat recently with the business partner of one guy who's been in the news here buying up everything he could downtown (he's got a Montreal partner who's got extremely deep pockets), and she mentioned how managing low-end real estate (that's what he's buying: he then gentrifies) has made her lose faith in people in general, and she's turning into a sociopath. I said I wasn't surprised

Good point about "paralysis by analysis": you absolutely cannot afford that in real estate.
Did you just unironically compare yourself to Walt on Breaking Bad? Is this a confession that you've lost your soul in real estate? For a heritage buff to demo a heritage property for a gravel parking lot to spite the city says something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 12:07 AM
recession proof

Maybe he's actually INFJ, except it's really more ENTP to be bragging online about business accomplishments. Why buy a building only to destroy it?

I've always thought Lio meant you're a Leo?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Did you just unironically compare yourself to Walt on Breaking Bad? Is this a confession that you've lost your soul in real estate? For a heritage buff to demo a heritage property for a gravel parking lot to spite the city says something.
For the record, I've razed more stuff since then... I also applied for two more demolitions a couple months ago; just got feedback from the City's heritage committee regarding these requests, they did in-depth analyses on them and it turns out they're both among the oldest currently surviving buildings in the entire downtown area.

(It just started to become less easy to destroy heritage buildings in Quebec; some new provincial legislation with decent teeth was introduced in 2022.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Why buy a building only to destroy it?
I'm sure you can figure out the answer to that question yourself.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 12:54 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Another try at the test put me as a ENTJ-A.
My T and J seems to be more fluid than anything else on this test, although I can't say if either designation is more accurate for me. I'm more judging as a person overall, but that's only something I realized more so after working in a restaurant for a few years now. And well, slowly losing my patience more over the years.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 6:04 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Is there a fuck off level?
For people with dogs? Or personality tests?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 9:23 PM
Closed account

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada