HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:55 PM

Good lord. This building is just fine. And well put together. Some folks need to get off their proverbial high horse. You miss the view of the C&C building on your stroll on Wacker & Mich Ave this morning? Walk across the street. Sheesh, give it a rest.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:58 PM

I'll take a mediocre building with space dedicated to people over a grimey parking lot/garage every time.

Would I prefer something more creative and unique? Of course. But sometimes we get glass boxes that are a little boring. Still, 47 stories is nothing to scoff at and would be considered a game-changing development in most other cities, even with a mediocre design.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Good lord. This building is just fine. And well put together. Some folks need to get off their proverbial high horse. You miss the view of the C&C building on your stroll on Wacker & Mich Ave this morning? Walk across the street. Sheesh, give it a rest.
So not only does it replace a 3-story building (wow), but it won't fall down (super-wow)! No one can accuse you of being on a high horse--touché! Your horse is appropriately modest.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
So not only does it replace a 3-story building (wow), but it won't fall down (super-wow)! No one can accuse you of being on a high horse--touché! Your horse is appropriately modest.
There is nothing wrong with this building. Your sensitivity proves nothing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:28 PM

Quote:
oops

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:33 PM

Weird that this building is causing some friction in the forum. It's like, so inoffensive. But then, maybe that's the problem. Maybe we shouldn't nod our heads approvingly for inoffensive projects when they occupy premier locations.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasylirion View Post
Weird that this building is causing some friction in the forum. It's like, so inoffensive. But then, maybe that's the problem. Maybe we shouldn't nod our heads approvingly for inoffensive projects when they occupy premier locations.
Sincere question - what makes this a premiere location? it's not on the river, or the lakeshore, or the park. Just another building in a city full of them, and better than many. I'm sure if given a forum at the time, many would have decried the buildings across the street in Illinois Center. Oh no, another Miesien black box!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwithOlives View Post
Sincere question - what makes this a premiere location? it's not on the river, or the lakeshore, or the park. Just another building in a city full of them, and better than many. I'm sure if given a forum at the time, many would have decried the buildings across the street in Illinois Center. Oh no, another Miesien black box!
Michigan Avenue, a block from the river. You could throw a rock to the site of Ft. Dearborn. I don't know, man, location seems pretty legit to me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's on Michigan Ave (our city's most famous street) right next to the river? lmao

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
It's on Michigan Ave (our city's most famous street) right next to the river? lmao
I'm familiar with Chicago. I never walked by the Walgreen's that was there previously and thought "wow, what a premiere location". The block is near the river, it's not "on" the river. Just one person's opinion...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasylirion View Post
Well put. I wouldn't go out of my way to criticize a filler building that, as you say, is inoffensive to the point of ignorable. When people start piling on the love and making claims about how great it is, then it gets weird.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:36 AM

March 14

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Well put. I wouldn't go out of my way to criticize a filler building that, as you say, is inoffensive to the point of ignorable. When people start piling on the love and making claims about how great it is, then it gets weird.
This building is far from offensive. This building is solid. Taking a drafting class means jack squat. It's tiresome, tbh.

Last edited by bhawk66; Mar 20, 2022 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 12:37 AM

It looks quite sleek looking east. Pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:38 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

from the dentist's office earlier today

next time I should bring my camera... though they'd probably look at me strangely.

From this vantage point, it actually makes the C&C building appear .

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Mar 30, 2022 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Anyone know how tall was this zoned/approved for? And any idea how tall SB could've gotten it with accessible air rights/re-zoning?
I'm fairly certain this site is zoned as dense as Chicago zoning gets, which is DX-16. There is no height limit, but as-of-right only allows a 16 story building to occupy the entire site. Towers get more height in Chicago through a mix of setbacks (area omitted from lower floors may be added to the top of the building in a 1:1 ratio) and monetary contributions to various city funds. So in a way the density is only limited by 1. the developer's pro forma 2. the developer's willingness to pay for extra area and 3. the aldermen and city council PD approval.

Looking at the PD submission, this tower was approved for (and likely used all of) an FAR of 25.974. Even in the Loop that is very dense. Chances are this one was not going to get any larger or taller.

(Also it looks like an amendment was approved for the PD to add an operable window wall to the second floor on Michigan Avenue. Anyone know what tenant is looking to move up there?)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Sincere question - what makes this a premiere location?
The Carbide & Carbon Building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Thanks Harry - I think this image alone highlights what's wrong with the building design: cold, incredibly bland, thoughtless, monolithic and a complete disregard of the historic view corridor highlighting five gems of Chicago architecture, now gone forever because of this monstrosity. They could have easily stepped the Michigan Ave facade back 20' to maintain the original view, while building a taller building (and even possibly commanding higher rents for top level apartments). I blame Magellan, Tom Kerwin, and to a lesser extend SB.
Strongly agree. The building itself is fine but the fact that it ruined the best sight line of the Carbide & Carbon building really makes it offensive. It's blocked on nearly all sides now and an iconic view is diminished.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:00 PM

I was surprised by how glassy and transparent 330 looks from above:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 6:35 PM

I like it. It's nothing to write home about, esp. considering what's across the street, but it's a nice enough tower. Simple isn't necessarily a bad thing, luvs. It's nice infill. Don't get the fuss. The egos need to take a chill pill.

I do miss the three-story building that came down for it, but #progress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive