HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 11:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Also,

I noticed that the big empty lot with the Pie in the sky 4 building development at Indian School Park appears to have been recently cleared of most brush and plants.

Any idea if some portion of this plan is going to be built?
I noticed that too. I've been been checking for permits/reviews about once per week on this proposal and nothing new submitted. Then again, Central Station has nothing new submitted and they are apparently ready to break ground soon from what I've read. So who knows

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I noticed that too. I've been been checking for permits/reviews about once per week on this proposal and nothing new submitted. Then again, Central Station has nothing new submitted and they are apparently ready to break ground soon from what I've read. So who knows
I don't know if this link will work, but they had a time extension for their variances on the lot approved back in November: https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/...Case/ZA-510-21

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I had to do some business over at 3rd and Clarendon this morning and ended up taking some time to look around. They built quite the pavilion around Clarendon and 1st Avenue with these massive shade structures. Does anyone know if this is something more than just a corporate office smoking area?

And that apartment building at Central and IS is massive!
Yeah, the canopy looks great lit up at night. But, yeah, they been working on it forever. They have a little container thing that will make a great coffee shop. I live across the street and been waiting for it to be done.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Never noticed this before, but Fox 10 has a hell of a webcam view of DT Phoenix. Also posting link to hosting site below:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/webcams

https://api.wetmet.net/widgets/strea...032b163a93e6b7
Well, it worked for a day. Now it's a different view.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 4:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Well, it worked for a day. Now it's a different view.
It's the same view now. May be a timed camera with different views. Probably why I never noticed it before.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 4:34 PM

Another Massive Semi-Conductor plant could be coming:

Quote:
A U.S. semiconductor company is scouting multiple sites in Arizona, Texas, California and North Carolina for a project that could have a capital investment of $40 billion or more with 5,000 to 10,000 jobs at full buildout.

Multiple sources told the Triangle Business Journal in North Carolina that the project is on an accelerated timeline as the country, and the world, rushes to fill the gap in the global chip shortage that's hampering the economic recovery and causing supply chain disruption.

Citing non-disclosure agreements with various parties including the company and site selection officials, sources would not confirm the name of the company but confirmed it is a U.S. chipmaker. Cities in Texas, Arizona and California as well as in Chatham County, North Carolina are vying for the project, sources added.

Last October, CEO Sanjay Mehrotra of Boise, Idaho-based Micron Technology (Nasdaq: MU), one of world's largest chipmakers, announced the company's intent to invest more than $150 billion globally over the next decade in memory manufacturing and research and development.

On an earnings call in December, Mehrotra said the firm “look[ed] forward to working with governments around the world, including the U.S., as we consider sites to support future expansion.”

Vetting opportunities
When asked if the company was considering North Carolina for a facility, a Micron spokesperson said the company is vetting opportunities around the world and weighing many factors, such as "access to a strong talent pool, reliable and cost-competitive utility services, alignment with our corporate sustainability objectives, and a favorable regulatory environment."

"In the U.S., we're engaging in discussions with multiple states and will provide updates as the process continues and at the appropriate time," the spokesperson added. "There are multiple factors that inform our decision to invest billions of dollars to construct and operate a fab. We will share specific locations as we close on unique investment targets."

The North Carolina project, dubbed "Project Autumn," has zeroed in on the former Moncure Megasite, now called Triangle Innovation Point. The 2,150-acre site in southeast Chatham near the Lee County line has been viewed for years as a prime location for a large economic development project. Multiple government and industry sources have said interest in the site has picked up recently.

“We do have some pretty significant activity on it,” said Chet Mann, mayor of nearby Sanford. “I think it's safe to say it's a matter of when, not if.”

It's unclear at this time if a "Project Autumn" has been proposed in any Phoenix area cities, though state land sites in Queen Creek, Goodyear and north Phoenix could be prime spots for the facility in the Valley. Sources said those sites were eyed by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. as possible locations for a $17 billion chipmaking plant. Samsung ultimately chose Taylor, a suburb of Austin, Texas for the plant.

Project needs new law passed

Sources said the semiconductor project is tied to the passage of the CHIPS Act, federal legislation designed to spur investment in domestic chip production, which has been strongly championed by Intel Corp. CEO Pat Gelsinger. Over the past several decades, the U.S.'s share of the global chip industry has shrunk as semiconductor companies chose to invest in manufacturing plants overseas. The U.S. Senate passed the legislation last June – it was included in the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act, which includes $52 billion to fund provisions in the CHIPS Act. But the bill, widely endorsed by industry leaders, has stalled with congressional leaders in the House of Representatives. Also in June, the Senate introduced the Facilitating American-Built Semiconductors (FABS) Act, legislation that would establish an investment tax credit to incentivize greater semiconductor manufacturing in the United States.

Virtually all of the major semiconductor makers in the U.S. are now working to bring more production stateside.

Last March, Intel (Nasdaq: INTC) announced plans to build two new chip factories in Arizona. And chip designers such as Qualcomm (Nasdaq: QCOM), which has had a research design facility in the Triangle for nearly two decades, and Advanced Micro Devices (Nasdaq: AMD) have also been seeking out opportunities to bulk up supply. Advanced Micro recently extended a deal with GlobalFoundries – which has considered North Carolina for production factories in the past – that will provide it with $2.1 billion worth of chips through 2025. And Texas Instruments (Nasdaq: TXN) has announced it's building a new analog chips plant in Richardson, Texas, during the second half of 2022.
Hopefully we can fight for this one despite losing out on Samsung.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 5:17 PM

That would be like 100B in potential new fabs between TSMC, Intel and this mystery company.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
That would be like 100B in potential new fabs between TSMC, Intel and this mystery company.
Not a Mystery its Micron https://www.micron.com/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
With all the suppliers that are following TSMC here, I'm going to bet we'll see a lot more of these sorts of projects come through for consideration. Hopefully we can snag more of them.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 3:45 PM

Anyone know what's being built next to (west) of the children's hospital on thomas road? construction crews have leveled the existing structure and are working on the land development for something.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmodrak12 View Post
Anyone know what's being built next to (west) of the children's hospital on thomas road? construction crews have leveled the existing structure and are working on the land development for something.
Im assuming its just an expansion of the hospital.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:47 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Im assuming its just an expansion of the hospital.
Yes, a friend who works at PCH tells me they're doing a lot of expansion right now.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:00 AM

So does anyone know the plans for the SW corner of Central Ave and McDowell Rd.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:55 PM

SW CORNER.....I know. I saw the building torn down and was shocked. Hope something even better comes. The previous was a nice-looking office building. I hope not another 4-5 story apartment complex. It is such a great corner with the Art Museum, Phoenix Theater on the NE corner.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 7:43 PM

they are demoing the old warehouse south of the starbucks at 7th ave and roosevelt. pretty good sized lot.

could be demoing to reduce property taxes until they develop it

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
they are demoing the old warehouse south of the starbucks at 7th ave and roosevelt. pretty good sized lot.

I remember some conversation a while ago about the old Milem Textile Warehouse on 7th Ave also facing a similar fate or possible redevelopment. Anything ever happen w/ that?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 8:21 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post

Oh happy day. I've hated this building (819 N 7th Ave) for as long as I can remember.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:11 PM
Skyriser

Everyone listed above in the deleted posts should be ashamed of themselves. It's insane to me how this thread could unravel so fast. I REALLY thought you all knew better by now than to engage in such an incredibly stupid series of posts.

Some of you are now on watch.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Everyone listed above in the deleted posts should be ashamed of themselves. It's insane to me how this thread could unravel so fast. I REALLY thought you all knew better by now than to engage in such an incredibly stupid series of posts.

Some of you are now on watch.
I am not at all ashamed to believe that misconceptions don't bring people together, but further divide, but I digress.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Oh happy day. I've hated this building (819 N 7th Ave) for as long as I can remember.
I always thought it could have been a great bldg for a trader joes. with its parking and size.

gracies tax bar to the south of this lots is a hidden gem if you've never been. $3 tots and $6 cheese curds!! and i think happy hour well drinks are $3

(looks like i missed all the excitement on the deleted posts!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest