HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 12:44 AM

Canary Wharf...the project that ruined Reichmann and the family fortune. How soon we forget the financial disasters that were Queens Square and Admiralty Place.
I hate to think what our economies will be like when the ground in Ukraine freezes and the Russians squeeze the natural gas valves tighter. The next 7 - 12 months will be tough and I have almost completed my cancellation list of subscriptions to online news and research outlets.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:44 AM

The Scot and Joe Howe northern site by Superstore is getting concrete barriers and has excavators onsite, excavation appears to be imminent.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree also. The old public library may not have any particular architectural or historical merit, but it's siting on the lot does have merit, as does also the public space in front of the building. These reasons alone merit preservation. Surely the city can come up with some sort of public use for the building, perhaps a municipal museum or exhibition space of some kind, combined with a public meeting space or municipal conference facility.
A piece in the Herald today highlights ongoing inaction by HRM and the council member for the area on this valuable site on SGR. Shameful.

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/opi...ecy-100764029/

Quote:
In early 2020, Halifax Regional Municipality council approved and added the Halifax Memorial Library site to the municipal registry of heritage properties. Cultural Resource Management Group Ltd. was engaged and researched the Spring Garden Road/Grafton Street area site. The group presented its findings and recommendations, “Former Halifax Memorial Library Archaeological Resource Impact Assessment,” that included potential development. In July, the building was added to HRM’s list of surplus properties.

In spite of requests for updates on what’s planned to repurpose the building, HRM officials remain tight-lipped on the way forward.

In response to a recent request, a municipal staff member indicated council has approved a series of next steps during a private and confidential session several months ago, but the city was unable at this time to provide further information due to its confidential nature.

The lack of transparency and meaningful public engagement by HRM officials regarding the future of one of Halifax’s most recognized modern classical structures, and what the building and site represent, is troublesome, to say the least.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 12:41 PM

Another piece in the Herald today highlights a rare moment of common sense in regard to closing off streets and bowing down to current-day urban planning dogma. Both Mr. MacKinnon (who somehow has retained his job while marching in lockstep alongside HRM Planning) and the wannebe planner council member for the area who has been sniping at area businesses over the years are now forced to beat a retreat.

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...row-100764161/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:26 PM

Driving down Robie between Spring and Cunard is really starting to get painful. They are knocking down so many individual homes at a scary rate. Even though none of the demos have been exquisite homes, I’d rather see a home than empty lot after empty lot.

I’m very pro development; however, I don’t know of any new builds to replace these buildings. I am afraid it’s gonna look like a mouth full of missing teeth for a while, and that’s unfortunate as it’s such a prominent thoroughfare.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon123 View Post
Driving down Robie between Spring and Cunard is really starting to get painful. They are knocking down so many individual homes at a scary rate. Even though none of the demos have been exquisite homes, I’d rather see a home than empty lot after empty lot.

I’m very pro development; however, I don’t know of any new builds to replace these buildings. I am afraid it’s gonna look like a mouth full of missing teeth for a while, and that’s unfortunate as it’s such a prominent thoroughfare.
Pretty sure all (at least most) of these demolitions are down to George Tsimiklis, whose MO as a developer is completely baffling and bizarre. Agreed, it's pretty terrible, especially as he's said he's in no rush to redevelop. But I do feel like the spate of demolitions will probably wind down; he can't keep it up forever.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:11 PM

I am really sorry to hear that! A quick Google search confirms my fears. I find it maddening that developers are permitted to do this, especially during a housing crisis. The houses demolished housed provided at least some relief to the crisis — more than the now empty lots will. I stand by that there should be regulation around how long you can let a property stay empty after demolishing a building. There should at least be a proposal before Council!

I am sadden that we have another cluster of empty lots. Just a good chunk of the old ones were finally getting filled we have just as many new lots. Enough with the demos unless there is an active application!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 3:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Building permit issued for 3 storey, 14-unit building at 2876 Isleville with rendering here: https://www.remaxnova.com/residentia...-mls-202206698

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 8:17 PM

Essentially 14 hotel rooms as presently approved, units stated as being 300-500 sq ft each. Not in the most desirable part of the street.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 5:45 PM

AGRICOLA WEST (5684 WEST STREET) - Website is online. Occupancy is slated for October.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:33 PM

The Agricola West website shows a 3 bedroom unit (the Fort) in 1050sq ft that amazingly has 3 very good bedrooms! The design shrinks the living, kitchen, eating area as an interesting compromise.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
The Agricola West website shows a 3 bedroom unit (the Fort) in 1050sq ft that amazingly has 3 very good bedrooms! The design shrinks the living, kitchen, eating area as an interesting compromise.
Shrinking shared space with three bedrooms seems risky to me. If there are three regular sleeping spaces (granted, one of those bedrooms has no windows), I'd expect that you'd need MORE kitchen space, not less! I guess not everyone who lives there can sit in the "living room" at the same time...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Shrinking shared space with three bedrooms seems risky to me. If there are three regular sleeping spaces (granted, one of those bedrooms has no windows), I'd expect that you'd need MORE kitchen space, not less! I guess not everyone who lives there can sit in the "living room" at the same time...
More and more often, these sort of units are shared by people who do not know each other, who are not here long-term, and who are essentially renting a bedroom/bath and a mailing address. Often they keep different schedules, speak different languages, and are simply renting to get slightly cheaper rent than a 1-bedroom or studio. I suspect few "family meals" ever get prepared in that kitchen.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
More and more often, these sort of units are shared by people who do not know each other, who are not here long-term, and who are essentially renting a bedroom/bath and a mailing address. Often they keep different schedules, speak different languages, and are simply renting to get slightly cheaper rent than a 1-bedroom or studio. I suspect few "family meals" ever get prepared in that kitchen.
These are condos... so, given the scenario you describe, I guess the market is for people who are buying these only as income property (and may rent out the "living space" as a fourth bedroom!).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Canary Wharf...the project that ruined Reichmann and the family fortune. How soon we forget the financial disasters that were Queens Square and Admiralty Place.
I hate to think what our economies will be like when the ground in Ukraine freezes and the Russians squeeze the natural gas valves tighter. The next 7 - 12 months will be tough and I have almost completed my cancellation list of subscriptions to online news and research outlets.
What was the problem with Admiralty place? I don't know the history that far back.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:08 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
These are condos... so, given the scenario you describe, I guess the market is for people who are buying these only as income property (and may rent out the "living space" as a fourth bedroom!).
I can't seem to locate anything to suggest that this building/units are for sale. I do see in the promo info online the use of the word 'condominium' but I also see 'residential project'. Maybe it's not a condo?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
I can't seem to locate anything to suggest that this building/units are for sale. I do see in the promo info online the use of the word 'condominium' but I also see 'residential project'. Maybe it's not a condo?
Given their own site calls it a "condominium" and they list a sales team of 2 realtors I would guess it is/will be a condo. That said, we have certainly seen these things change!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:42 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Given their own site calls it a "condominium" and they list a sales team of 2 realtors I would guess it is/will be a condo. That said, we have certainly seen these things change!
Thank you. Silly me was toggling between the Atlantic Developments Inc page and the Agricola West page. The 'Contacts' menu item provides the real estate contacts on the latter page.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 5:25 PM

This building was built as apartments, and just 3 months ago the developer changed course to condos instead. Likely a product of interest rates.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
I saw a sign on the site, maybe a week ago (?) saying that "sales" were to start in September, with occupancy in the "fall." Today's AllNovaScotia indicated some pricing for the units, which I can't remember now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth