HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 4:27 PM

Excuse me, but this feels like a Communist establishment thread.

No kidding, fierce Communism and unleashed Capitalism bring about the same consequences to me.

Decadence, decay, ugliness, ruin.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 3:06 AM

State Street most definitely offers hedge fund services. Name me an American or British commercial banking company with a global footprint which doesn't.

That being said, State Street is not a major hedge fund player, and is well-known for mutual funds and other index vehicles. Boston is all about mutual fund management. Think Fidelity, Putnam, Wellington, Mass Mutual, etc.

The North One, you might be conflating State Street's previous management of BlackRock's U.S. exchange-traded funds, which included hedge funds. This stopped in 2021.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I think you need to brush up on the difference between a mutual fund and a hedge fund.
It doesn't matter, they own and control the most assets, they control companies. Those are the big three in the US.

Call them whatever you want.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It doesn't matter, they own and control the most assets, they control companies. Those are the big three in the US.

Call them whatever you want.
You're not winning anyone over here by presenting mutual fund management and hedge fund management as basically the same thing.

I'd like to hear your logic on how State Street, via index fund management, "controls companies." Mutual funds are long-game, low-risk by design. There's a pretty good chance any private or public pension you're part of is mostly weighted towards mutual funds. The entire Massachusetts Employees' State Retirement System, for example. It's in mutual fund managements' best interests to cultivate stable, steady, predictable returns over as long a time period as possible.

State Street isn't Elliott Management or run by Carl Icahn.

Actual hedge funds like Renaissance or Citadel? Sure, they fuck stuff up for everyone else by hyper-aggressively chasing the shortest of short-term gains, consequences for the invested entity be damned.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions