HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 9:13 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good grief...

So what now, does it become a parkade for the foreseeable future until someone else gets it going again?
parkade isn't finished and it's not zoned to be parking.

not sure what happens....ugly whatever it is....hopefully someone buys it and finishes it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 9:20 PM

Disaster! What a mess.
Maybe Ackman takes it over.
2 large unfinished projects downtown. What does that say!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 10:06 PM
surely you agree with me

^ Covid.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 10:28 PM

Wow now that’s sure some bad news. Hopefully the project can be liquidated to a buyer for a relative deal to ensure it will continue to completion in a timely fashion. Bankruptcy proceedings will probably mean a lengthy delay.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
announcement on who the restaurant tenant will be?
The Keg, was to move from Garry Street.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 10:56 PM

I see the B word mentioned above.Is that certain? That could have harmful effects..read on....
I also understood the owner of the Keg in Manitoba was behind this development & The Keg on Garry was the main tenant of the 10,000 ft2 dining space. Does this affect all The Kegs now in Manitoba as well? Between this & Sutton, what a disaster especially when tourists & perspective investors see that, little retail on Portage ave. as well as the meth issues plaguing the area.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:24 PM

Is this a project that is likely to be bought? Are the economics favourable for a developer with deep enough pockets? Or is this a moonshot project that will have to get value-engineered to death for anyone else to touch it?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:40 PM
surely you agree with me

That’s the big question I guess. It’s been value engineered for two straight years. Only to see the cost go up as every month passed. If there was another penny to be taken out it would have been.

I don’t have any experience with this but talking to a couple developer friends, the owner will likely have to take a loss until it does become attractive to a buyer. It breaks my heart because he is a really nice man. He didn’t deserve this. A perfect storm of issues all came together.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 4:33 AM

Oh man this is a disaster. Downtown seems to be beyond life support at this point.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Oh man this is a disaster. Downtown seems to be beyond life support at this point.
It's a set-back, but the sky isn't falling. There's positive moment on the Bay and PP, two huge pieces of the downtown puzzle. There are some new businesses moving into downtown spaces like the old Birk's building.

I recognize it's a hit for downtown, but shouting "disaster! doom & gloom!" with each piece of bad news really doesn't help promote positive change.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That’s the big question I guess. It’s been value engineered for two straight years. Only to see the cost go up as every month passed. If there was another penny to be taken out it would have been.
Kind of makes me wonder what the earlier iterations looked like vs. the final design. Just how much is being taken out of the design of buildings like this one?

Quote:
It certainly isn't great. You can sense the desperation in the civic officials hoping that the Jets whiteout parties can breathe some life into downtown. The 2018 parties were arguably downtown's pre-pandemic high water mark, it was the most good press that downtown Winnipeg had received in many years.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:41 PM

in a wider view of downtown, it seems it's more of shifting of the deck chairs than actual complete decay and decline. yes there have been recent setbacks and portage place and portage avenue are in the doldrums, but the exchange, the forks, true north square and the area around the WAG are still bright spots. screaming that the sky is falling and that the last person to leave needs to turn off the lights isn't quite true and counter-productive.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I don't know that this is reflective of downtown. You had a small developer who realistically took on a project that was probably beyond his capabilities. He was first hammered by Covid which no one could have foreseen and then kicked in the junk when he was down with the interest hikes. What does that have to do with downtown other than it's location.

The Sutton project has similar circumstances but has an owner that should be able to develop the project properly but struggled through the Covid shutdowns. Their track record of developments being built quickly is definitely a question mark.

I don't feel that either of these projects failed because they are downtown. I do agree that it doesn't look good having two incomplete projects downtown.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
in a wider view of downtown, it seems it's more of shifting of the deck chairs than actual complete decay and decline. yes there have been recent setbacks and portage place and portage avenue are in the doldrums, but the exchange, the forks, true north square and the area around the WAG are still bright spots. screaming that the sky is falling and that the last person to leave needs to turn off the lights isn't quite true and counter-productive.
There are people whose job is to promote and do PR. I'm not one of them. Things are in pretty bad shape (not all bad, you have pointed out some of the spots where things are going well) and while I would like that to change, I don't think Winnipeg can spin its way out of this situation.

To Biff's point above, it does seem like there have been an abnormally large number of failed projects downtown. dCondos (which eventually got completed), Sutton Place, 300 Saint Mary, the Starlight iteration of Portage Place, even 300 Main basically took down a company. If downtown was thriving and demand was high, would they have suffered the same fates?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:57 PM

Ahh. Was really looking forward to this one rising. I noticed the other day there was no activity on site.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:
There are people whose job is to promote and do PR. I'm not one of them. Things are in pretty bad shape (not all bad, you have pointed out some of the spots where things are going well) and while I would like that to change, I don't think Winnipeg can spin its way out of this situation.

To Biff's point above, it does seem like there have been an abnormally large number of failed projects downtown. dCondos (which eventually got completed), Sutton Place, 300 Saint Mary, the Starlight iteration of Portage Place, even 300 Main basically took down a company. If downtown was thriving and demand was high, would they have suffered the same fates?
You have to look at these projects with a little more perspective. dCondos did get completed. Sutton Place isn't dead, just delayed. 300 St. Mary is a bad occurrence, but we don't know yet how it might turn out. Starlight was smoke and mirrors from the beginning.

From what I've read, construction project delays and cancellations are not unusual, and Winnipeg isn't immune to that.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:

I don’t have any experience with this but talking to a couple developer friends, the owner will likely have to take a loss until it does become attractive to a buyer. It breaks my heart because he is a really nice man. He didn’t deserve this. A perfect storm of issues all came together.
PLEASE DON’T SAY THE BRICK WAS ENGINEERED OUT lol 😭😭😭

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:22 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this mentality, unless one is new to Winnipeg. There was absolutely nothing being built in tthe 90s. It seemed like the arena was the first big project built downtown in 15 years.

There has been more construction projects being built in the downtown area in the last decade than at any point in my lifetime.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
It certainly isn't great. You can sense the desperation in the civic officials hoping that the Jets whiteout parties can breathe some life into downtown. The 2018 parties were arguably downtown's pre-pandemic high water mark, it was the most good press that downtown Winnipeg had received in many years.
This is happening in every city in north America. It's a direct result of the COVID pandemic. In 2019, one could argue that downtown was in better shape than at any point since the late 80s.

The residential population of down has increased each year since the late 90s.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
It’s been value engineered for two straight years. Only to see the cost go up as every month passed. If there was another penny to be taken out it would have been.
No one has an oracle to consult, and two years ago was one of the most uncertain times of the last century, but one lesson from this might be that it sometimes might be better to have it fast than having it cheap. The developer might have have a revenue-earning asset right now just as he needed it most.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan