HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I think that's tied to Gillinghams own personal ties to the PC party and Stefanson being somewhat more moderate and centrist than Pallister. I don't think these things would have gotten as far along as they have so far with Glen Murray as he would have been feuding with Stefanson in all likelihood.
^ exactly my point, it's how the Province acts more so than the City.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ exactly my point, it's how the Province acts more so than the City.
I agree thats an issue for all Canadian big cities though.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:20 PM
the first stamp is free

^ possibly. But it is even more pronounced in a province like Manitoba, with a relatively small population and small economy. Winnipeg needs to be the primary focus of any Provincial gov't, regardless of their political stripes.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:23 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
People may not like Gillingham on here but in 6 months already look at the progress he has made on portage place, portage and main a kenaston. you may not like the designs but atleast they are moving forward compared to the complacency and nothingness of the Bowman years.
the portage and main plan was started more than a year ago....and it's just a plan.

Kenaston is a disaster.

What did the City have to do with Portage Place?...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:24 PM

The provincial election call got me wondering... now that we're nearly a year into Scott Gillingham's mayoralty, what are this subforum's takes on the current mayor and council? Any verdicts yet or too soon to say?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:32 PM

I was thinking the other day that I really haven't heard much of anything about Mayor Gillingham in the last while

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 1:51 PM

Mayor Who? My expectations were low. Thus far I think he has managed to surpass Bowman's level of invisibility. As I drive south to north every morning, the problems continue to get worse. While this is not all on the heads of the Mayor and Council, they individually and collectively need to be more vocal on the urgency of finding solutions and setting priorities.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Mayor Who? My expectations were low. Thus far I think he has managed to surpass Bowman's level of invisibility. As I drive south to north every morning, the problems continue to get worse. While this is not all on the heads of the Mayor and Council, they individually and collectively need to be more vocal on the urgency of finding solutions and setting priorities.
Yeah I agree. The current City Council is very status quo, which is better than making the city actively worse, but there are a number of urgent problems that need addressing. Problems such as crime, poverty, homelessness, crumbling infrastructure, etc.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:31 PM
What could go wrong?

I know they were just off for the summer only resuming council this week, but even my wife said randomly to me the other day - when was the last time we saw anything about the Mayor...what's his name?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:28 PM

it's summer folks, council is on break. look at his Twitter, he's been attending festivals

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:12 PM

I would give Gillingham a B - he's more proactive than Bowman but he's hamstrung by the lack of resources the city has as it always needs the province to be in a good mood to pony up cash or not for projects. Thankfully the squabbling of the Pallister Bowman days are over as it really put this city backwards by 10 years getting nothing done.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:20 PM

Council is basically the same as last time. So why would things be any different.

But ya we've been in this summer political lul. I expect things to ramp up soon or else.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I would give Gillingham a B - he's more proactive than Bowman but he's hamstrung by the lack of resources the city has as it always needs the province to be in a good mood to pony up cash or not for projects. Thankfully the squabbling of the Pallister Bowman days are over as it really put this city backwards by 10 years getting nothing done.
The Cities in the process of the largest project ever (NEWPCC). Bowman pushed that forward. Which is not sexy, but is needed. It's also eating up all the money the City does have right now. Hence why nothing's happened on RT for example.

Gillingham will have trouble finding money for his road projects unless he postpones next phases of NEWPCC.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Cities in the process of the largest project ever (NEWPCC). Bowman pushed that forward. Which is not sexy, but is needed. It's also eating up all the money the City does have right now. Hence why nothing's happened on RT for example.

Gillingham will have trouble finding money for his road projects unless he postpones next phases of NEWPCC.
If Route 90 and CPT Extension have a combined total of $1B, and the City needs to fund 1/3rd, the City "only" needs to find ~$330 million. If financed entirely with debt, that's roughly $25 million/yr in debt payments over 30 years. Yes, it's a lot but not impossible. The City could find portions of it in frontage levies or local/regional street reserves, or dedicate future property tax increases to it (a one-time 3.5% property tax increase would be enough to fund the debt payments).

The bigger question is could the city better spend that $330 million on other things that will have greater benefits to the community? I'd argue CPT is a waste since the extension isn't needed for a long time, but Route 90 is imperative - it's not just about widening (which is a fraction of the cost), it's about bridge renewal and sewer replacement which has to happen sooner or later, so it just makes sense to tack on road widening to an at-capacity road when the big projects need to happen anyways.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 5:50 PM

The City needs that money for sewers though. That's the reality right now unless there is a significant new source of funding. The NEWPCC project is at a total of $2 billion right now for the 3 phases. Next phase is $800 mil or something. That's a huge price tag, biggest ever for Winnipeg. I know I keep saying it, but we are stuck in this cycle right now.

I would expect A very limited selection of other major projects in the next few years. MAYBE the Mayor can get one of those road projects moving by the next election.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 6:02 PM

The thing that's really setting me off about the Rt 90 discussion is - the City has no funding lined up for this. Zero, zilch, nada, zip. The city is broke. And even if they did ALL of the project consultations and came to an agreement with the Province and somehow, magically convinced the Liberals in Ottawa to throw 100's of millions of dollars at a road project, we wouldn't see shovels in the ground for how many years? Maaaybe 5?

So why won't they spend $10 M on a mill and fill from Taylor to Academy to at least make the road somewhat drivable while they wait?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The City needs that money for sewers though. That's the reality right now unless there is a significant new source of funding. The NEWPCC project is at a total of $2 billion right now for the 3 phases. Next phase is $800 mil or something. That's a huge price tag, biggest ever for Winnipeg. I know I keep saying it, but we are stuck in this cycle right now.

I would expect A very limited selection of other major projects in the next few years. MAYBE the Mayor can get one of those road projects moving by the next election.
When it comes to the city's financial responsibility, utilities projects will mainly be funded by the utility rates paid by water and sewer users so the municipal revenues levied for NEWPCC will come from Winnipeggers' utility bills. When it comes to road projects, the city's financial responsibility will be funded by things like street reserves (dedicated property taxes), gas tax grants, and frontage levies.

So while the City is a single organization, utilities and tax-supported operations are two separate entities at a high level. Of course, the City's overall debt capacity will have a council-mandated metric that combines debt on tax-supported and utilities operations so that will certainly be a factor. Also, the Province and Fed's pockets are only so deep, so it's fair to question their abilities to fund both NEWPCC and major road investments but that's beyond the municipal level.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 6:03 PM

I rate the mayor’s effectiveness in relation to the fact that even before he became mayor there is an out of place streetlight in front of city hall ever since the decorative one was taken out in the winter of 2021. He can’t even get that done. Such a simple thing but shows how cumbersome this city’s government is.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I rate the mayor’s effectiveness in relation to the fact that even before he became mayor there is an out of place streetlight in front of city hall ever since the decorative one was taken out in the winter of 2021. He can’t even get that done. Such a simple thing but shows how cumbersome this city’s government is.
i blame unions for that (insert sarcasm font here)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 5:06 PM

So in Gillingham's first year, he's basically made friends. Well, that's good....I guess....

https://globalnews.ca/news/10050397/...am-first-year/

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan