HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The 2 tenders for Hwy 75 southbound between Ste Agathe and Morris closed. There were only 2 bids for each and Nelson River Construction got both of them. I am amazed that there were so few bidders, but I guess all of the pavers are busy this year. 40,000 cubic metres of concrete in one summer. It will be interesting to see how it goes...
This can't come soon enough, the section of 75 from Morris to Letellier (south bound lanes) is basically undriveable!

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 12:32 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't know why we don't see more of these around here. The cable barrier would alleviate some of the issues surrounding blowing snow...no?

There is a strech of Autoroute 50 in Gatineau with a cable barrier here.

Over the few years ago it was installed, I've seen it ripped up a few times. Better than a head-on collision.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Preliminary work on TCH from Falcon Lake to ON border beginning, guess the useful idiots like Lett, Sinclair and Allard will all chime in how it's not necessary!

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:05 PM

There was a conceptual design study started in 2011 for twinning of the TCH from Falcon to the border under the NDP which was then halted and shelved by the PCs in 2012. Nice try though.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:10 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
There was a conceptual design study started in 2011 for twinning of the TCH from Falcon to the border under the NDP which was then halted and shelved by the PCs in 2012. Nice try though.
Shelved in 2012 by the NDP majority government? PCs didn't come to power until 2016.......
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:46 PM

Damn, where the hell am i getting my dates from . I was sure it was PCs that cancelled it.. apologies

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Preliminary work on TCH from Falcon Lake to ON border beginning,
The work being done is for the integration of the area around the weigh scales to the new twinned TCH work occurring in Ontario (approx 400 m or so worth of work).

Conceptual planning will take two years. It could be on a totally different alignment if the consultant finds a better way - I don't think they will though. Then likely a year or so of Preliminary Design and then a year or so of Detailed Design. So we are looking like 4 to 6 years before this starts construction unless they find a way to really fast track it.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 6:30 PM

Wait, so we're 4-6 years away from construction even starting? So realistically probably a decade before we can actually drive on it.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 7:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Unless you can design it quicker, that is how long these things normally take to do.

Tons of surveying and evaluations.

- 2 years for conceptual then review
- RFP for Prelim Design - 1 to 2 mth, review and award
- 1 year or so for Prelim Design, then review period, do costing exercise, await approval
- RFP for Detailed Design - 1 to 2 mth review and award
- 1 year or so for Detailed Design, then review period, more costing, then review and await approval
- Tender - 1 to 2 mth, review and award
- 1 year or so for grubbing and clearing
- 2 years of construction
.....bam, you are driving on divided, hopefully mostly limited access road.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 7:33 PM
What could go wrong?

The first Phase of the Ontario side started Detail Design in 2019. Construction started with clearing in 2020. Conceptual and preliminary Design started in 2011. I believe the first phase is about 6 km.

Hopefully they fast track it.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The first Phase of the Ontario side started Detail Design in 2019. Construction started with clearing in 2020. Conceptual and preliminary Design started in 2011. I believe the first phase is about 6 km.

Hopefully they fast track it.
Welcome news from MB to twin Hwy#1 east. Also, design will show options for grade separation and limited access points.

The entire project from Falcon to Kenora can be thought of as 4 phases. THe first three are ONT and then final phase is the MB section. The timing should all line up.

@Biff, when construction goes in phases, as ONT is doing, does the finished phase 1 section, say, open for traffic while the remaining phases are under construction? In other words, will motorists drive from Kenora on a single lane, then twinned section, then single lane(MB), then twinned to Wpg? What is commonly done?

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 9:32 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Don’t get too optimistic about the Ontario side either. The First Nations and MTO may have long talks about the remaining phases.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 2:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post

@Biff, when construction goes in phases, as ONT is doing, does the finished phase 1 section, say, open for traffic while the remaining phases are under construction? In other words, will motorists drive from Kenora on a single lane, then twinned section, then single lane(MB), then twinned to Wpg? What is commonly done?
They will open any new section when complete. Under construction sections will remain two lane until complete.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 3:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

at this rate highway 6 with have a section twinded befor tch is finished crazy

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:28 AM

My preferred Perimeter Hwy and Hwy 15 Interchange design

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:V...ge_Diagram.gif

A 3 level diamond interchange should be put at Hwy 15 and the Perimeter Hwy (Volleyball Interchange). Underpass (First Level); Perimeter Hwy going underneath hwy 15 and CN Reddit Subdivision. Second Level; CN Reddit Subdivision going over Perimeter Hwy Northbound, and Hwy 15 going over Perimeter Hwy Northbound. Third Level; Junction where Hwy 15 and Perimeter can intersect. Exit lanes going from Southbound or Northbound to and from Perimeter can go over Railway tracks and create less stops

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:30 AM

Interchanges I'd perfer on the Perimeter Hwy

These are Intersections with Interchanges that aren't currently built, plus already with interchange that I thing could improve.

Fermor Ave: Cloverstack Interchange
Symington Road: Diamond Interchange
Lagimodiere South: Cloverstack Interchange
St Annes Road: Partial Cloverleaf A4 or SPUI
Kenaston Blvd: Cloverstack or Two Level Turbine Interchange (as 75 might be realigned to that route)
Hwy 330: Diamond or Parclo A4
Road 8N: Diamond
McGillvary Blvd: Partial Cloverleaf A4
LaVerendrye Road: Diamond
Portage Ave: Parclo A4
Centreport Canada Way: Stack Interchange/ Turbine Stack Hybrid
Hwy 6: Cloverstack
Sturgeon Road: Diamond
Hwy 7: Cloverstack (Like 59 North)
Pipeline Road: Parclo A4
Hwy 8/ McPhillips: Parclo A4
Main St/ Hwy 9: SPUI
Wenzel Road: Diamond Interchange
Hwy 15/ Dugald Road: 3 Level Diamond Interchange

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
I’d love to see Hwy 10 twinned from Minnedosa go around the north of Forest to connect to Hwy 110 around Brandon and then continue on and be twinned just past the Hwy 2 east bound intersection.
Love to see allllll of Hwy 16 twinned.
And Hwy 6 twinned up until the Hwy 68 intersection going to the Narrows

Hwy 1 and 16 should have the proper interchanges too

And of course excited to see number 1 be done and the future of 59 whenever that happens.
I hope that Hwy 75 Southbound Gets resurfaced. Someday, Hwy 75 and Hwy 1 in their entire length should be full freeways

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:30 PM

I thought 75 was up for reconstruction starting this year? Large stretches between Ste Agathe to Morris for reconstruction.

Thern surface rehab (repaving) for the rest of the length from Ste Agathe to the US border.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/myhis/pdf/...t_strategy.pdf

I also believe there is a new bridge at Morris planned in there. $65 million.

Last edited by bomberjet; May 31, 2023 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:16 PM
There is always a way

65 million for the Morris bridge, I wonder when there will ever be a bypass of the town...

Wish we had a bit more of a national strategy for highways. 1, 16, 75, and 100 would all certainly be routes that should be under a national highway administration, sorta like interstates.

I mention this because of how slow the progress is on on every route to a) keep it maintained, and b) bring it up to some semblance of a driveable standard for what motorists would expect on a major highway.

The US has nearly 80,000 kms of interstate and we don't have any uniform standard for our most important national highway system.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
These are Intersections with Interchanges that aren't currently built, plus already with interchange that I thing could improve.

[cut]Hwy 7: Cloverstack (Like 59 North)
Pipeline Road: Parclo A4
Hwy 8/ McPhillips: Parclo A4
Main St/ Hwy 9: SPUI
Wenzel Road: Diamond Interchange
Hwy 15/ Dugald Road: 3 Level Diamond Interchange
I would add a diamond at King Edward. Right now you can see where it is on the Perimeter as there is a median turn point for emergency and police vehicles. It is black rock so easy to miss but it is signed for authorized use only.

It is located approximately 2 km from both HWY 7 and Pipeline. With the rate of growth the in the NW area of Winnipeg it will be needed long before the list even gets near there.

Also missing on the list is Gunn Rd or more likely CPT at approximately Gunn Rd. The long term plans are to build CPT east to the Perimeter connecting more or less at Gunn Rd and then continue east over the floodway and past 206. The part east of the Perimeter is a twinning/relocation of HWY 15. Due to the complex site logistics of the current HWY 15 location in cannot be twinned in place even though the volume of traffic would have had it done long ago if possible. The combination of Gunn Rd and the existing HWY 15 is easily the most deadly road in the Winnipeg capital region. HWY 15 features prominently in many of the most dangerous rail crossings and Gunn Rd and the Perimeter has seen more fatalities than any other intersection on the Perimeter in the same time span.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan