HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
I heard a rumour about an Ikea opening up near the new Costco. Anyone else hear this/have any info?
I heard a rumor an Ikea was going in near Grasswood..........and in Blairmore.....and north of the city along highway 11......and near highway 41.

I think every developer/wannabe developer at some point in a pith says, "and maybe this could be an idea site for an IKEA?", then people interpret that as if there is some legitimacy to it as opposed to just daydreaming.

I'd be surprised if we see an IKEA here any time in the next 15 years. Maybe once our population is around 500k, but I'd be surprised to see anything much sooner than that.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 1:45 PM

SK Intercity Rail

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:13 PM

The U of S is undertaking a visioning process for the future of the Stone Barn. They have a survey open until June 1: https://leadership.usask.ca/administ...ge.php#History

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:40 PM
Unregistered User

Food for thought from the Winnipeg thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Everyone in this city is squabbling over scraps. Yes, Police and Fire (and their salaries) take up a massive portion of the City's budget which leaves little room for anything else. But guess what? It's not that those services have budgets that are necessarily out of line with other Canadian cities when adjusting for population, it's that Winnipeg just brings in such little revenue compared to other cities that proportionally the Police and Fire budgets look massive.

For 2023, Winnipeg's total operating budget is $1.28 Billion, or $1,634 per person (population: 783,096). In comparison, Quebec's total operating budget is $1.77 billion, or $3,175 per person (population: 557,390). So Quebec's operating budget is much higher than Winnipeg's, with a much smaller population, and as a result per-capita expenditures are 94% higher than Winnipeg's.

When looking strictly at Police, Winnipeg's Police budget is $316M, which is $403 per capita, while Quebec's Police budget is $148M, which is $265 per capita, so 32% lower.

So when looking at Quebec, yes they spend less proportionally on Police when adjusting for population, but there is no way around the fact that they tax a lot more in Quebec, likely have a better provision of goods and services to help vulnerable populations, and don't have to deal with the after effects of our collective national legacy of colonialism on Indigenous peoples.

I've said this so many times and I'll repeat it again: Winnipeg as a city is underfunded, and we are left to carry the majority of the national burden that colonialism has inflicted in Indigenous peoples. This is a national tragedy and issue that will not be solved without massive federal assistance that comes from all provinces. As a nation, everyone was complicit in the problems we made for an entire segment of the population and yet Prairie cities, especially Winnipeg and Edmonton, are alone the ones left to pick up the pieces and deal with the issues that remain. Elected officials at a national level need to step up and give special attention to cities like Winnipeg in dealing with this problem. Special funding for non-profits, addictions issues, and providing housing are necessary to fix problems that lead to bloated police budgets.

Until everyone acknowledges this issue, we are going to be continually responding to ever increasing crime and unhoused populations, and the police budget will simply grow - either via adopted budgets or approved overtime at the end of the fiscal year - because one way or another action needs to be taken against these problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. I guess I just get so frustrated on the state of national discourse when it comes to issues like policing, colonization, and Indigenous reconciliation. So many "progressives" in Toronto, Vancouver, and Ottawa that want to advance "reconciliation" with nice blog posts, fancy PDF documents coming out of think tanks, hiring "diversity and inclusion" coordinators, posting on social media, celebrating [insert progressive initiative] day, etc., but so little tangible action on how to tackle these issues because so many of these thought leaders and policy wonks and progressive pundits are far removed from the every day reality of the poverty, addictions, and crime cycle faced by the Indigenous communities in Prairie cities.

It takes the combined Indigenous population of the Vancouver and Toronto CMA to equate to the number of Indigenous people in Winnipeg (~100,000), yet these CMA's account for 8.8 million people in total. The centres from which all this progressive reconciliation talk come from are detached from the centres where the effects of policy (or lack thereof) are most vividly felt.

And before someone says this isn't related to construction in Winnipeg, it absolutely indirectly is. A significant part of the image of our downtown, and therefore desire to develop and build there, absolutely hinges on the social and economic direction the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to our downtown are heading in. You won't build a vibrant Exchange District, Waterfront Drive, Centennial, South Portage, or Assiniboine-Broadway unless North Point Douglass, Lord Selkirk Park, Spence, Centennial, Dufferin, William Whyte, and Burrows Central are improving. Simply due to geographic proximity, what occurs in those neighborhoods spills over to our downtown, which affects safety, perception, and ultimately market desirability for employers and residents to locate there.

While infrastructure, walkability, architecture, transit, and urban fabric are all important components of downtown's ability to attract investment and people, no single issue will impact downtown's rejuvenation or decline more than the wellbeing of the primarily Indigenous neighborhoods that border our downtown. And many Indigenous people, who have been subject to the effects of colonialism, will be strongly affected by the resources and support provided or not provided to them by their community, municipal, provincial, and federal governments.

So you can make all the master plans you want, and you can redesign streetscapes and add bike lanes, and plant trees, and give out TIFs, and add funnelnators, and build rapid transit lines, but if Indigenous people in inner-city neighborhoods continue to suffer, poverty and crime will follow, which makes downtown feel unsafe, which drives away employers and residents, end of story.
I work downtown and am always walking around the city centre. It is so disheartening to see the poverty and addictions that have caused so much grief and loss for so many. It also really drives home why there are so many people fed up with "woke culture". Many of these people are right-leaning individuals from working class segments of society. People who see firsthand the poverty and struggle that only seems to be getting worse. And then to hear these putative solutions from lefty intelligentsia that are so disconnected from what's actually going on, I can see why the frustration comes out in destructive ways. This isn't to justify turns to the far right but any means but rather an attempt to understand why people act the way they do rather than just blaming them as "bad people" or irredeemable. People don't know how to respond and may not have the ability to logically analyze the root causes (which represents a failure of education). So they go for the scapegoat of "wokeism" reacting against the lefty intelligentsia - the NDP who increasingly has abandoned working class politics.

I don't want to tread too far from construction, but it really is true that unless these issues that stem from colonial traumas are addressed through better funding at provincial and federal levels, and real on-the-ground anti-poverty measures, Saskatoon will continue to struggle to see development in its core keep up with our more suburban areas.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 8:23 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
People who see firsthand the poverty and struggle that only seems to be getting worse. And then to hear these putative solutions from lefty intelligentsia that are so disconnected from what's actually going on, I can see why the frustration comes out in destructive ways.
I would argue the left and right are equally guilty of not giving a damn, but many on the left pretend to care by spouting empty platitudes while the right opine about personal responsibility. Toronto and Vancouver have plenty of visible poverty, drug abuse, and mental illness; are you really saying someone who lives in Stonebridge and never goes downtown is any better or worse apprised of prairie cities' plight than someone who lives in Rosedale and wouldn't dream of riding the TTC? I would say both are equally uninformed (and perhaps happily so) about the circumstances of our country's least fortunate. Do you really think grumbling about Trudeau and the Laurentian elite is any more helpful than the left's "fancy blog posts"?

The causes and solutions to poverty are apolitical. Volunteering at a local soup kitchen, giving a non-violent ex-con a job at your small business, fundraising for the Salvation Army, or offering your basement suite to a single mother at a reduced rate are all tangible steps citizens could take to make a difference in their local communities. But how many people do these things? It's simpler to write any angry Facebook post about Trudeau, or closer to home to complain about "woke" books in your kids' school library, or easier to watch Netflix when you're tired from work. Both liberals and conservatives would rather have other people do the hard things for them, which is why it's a lot easier to squeeze a $50 cash donation out of most people than two hours of volunteering.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 8:34 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I would argue the left and right are equally guilty of not giving a damn, but many on the left pretend to care by spouting empty platitudes while the right opine about personal responsibility. Toronto and Vancouver have plenty of visible poverty, drug abuse, and mental illness; are you really saying someone who lives in Stonebridge and never goes downtown is any better or worse apprised of prairie cities' plight than someone who lives in Rosedale and wouldn't dream of riding the TTC? I would say both are equally uninformed (and perhaps happily so) about the circumstances of our country's least fortunate. Do you really think grumbling about Trudeau and the Laurentian elite is any more helpful than the left's "fancy blog posts"?
Not at all, and indeed I agree with what you say. The causes are complex and stem from all points along the political spectrum. And to be clear I'm not one of the "grumblers" and I don't think it is helpful. I am left leaning but really don't feel much connection to any political party, though some are worse than others. It just seems to me like it's easier for left-leaning people to glom onto the right as the source of societal problems rather than looking inward and trying to examine why there has been such a visceral reaction from many working class folks against popular contemporary left-leaning thought (i.e. blogs and "thinkpieces").

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 12:17 AM

Update on development of the first site of the Caswell Bus Barns development, the sale of which is headed to a Council committee: https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...ab=attachments

Looks like this is consistent with the teaser images shared when this website surfaced a few months ago:https://www.caswellbusbarns.ca/

What appears to be new is confirmation of a residential component on the northwest of the site.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:56 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
What appears to be new is confirmation of a residential component on the northwest of the site.
This feels like a lost opportunity for the City to redevelop the site and add a tower of non-market housing subsidized by the market townhouses and commercial spaces. Instead (especially if the arena district goes ahead and Caswell Hill sees a property values bump due to proximity) the site will end up with what looks like five luxury townhouses and some low-intensity commercial spaces.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:35 PM

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:32 PM
Project manger

I believe that if you break the law, you should be in jail. That simple. Mandatory rehab for drug addicts with out the opportunity to leave when it gets tough. Protect the 99% from the 1%. The 1% is allowed to destroy everything and we just give them more.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 9:22 AM

Your first sentence means everyone- including you- would be in jail. That simple. That stupid. Your last sentence doesn't even make sense. The 1% are the richest folks. The 1 percenters are bikers specifically. So...? Oh, troll under the bridge! You got me!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:54 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
I believe that if you break the law, you should be in jail. That simple. Mandatory rehab for drug addicts with out the opportunity to leave when it gets tough. Protect the 99% from the 1%. The 1% is allowed to destroy everything and we just give them more.
Tough on crime sounds great until you realize it costs the government 2x or 3x as much to house someone in jail compared to placing them in social housing, and that putting non-violent offenders in jail is the surefire way to convert them into career criminals. Jail is like the graduate school for petty criminals.

I agree that repeat violent criminals should face tougher sentences, that our bail system seems far too lax at times, and that some people game the system with property crimes under $5k. But saying "you go to jail and you go to jail" is no way to fix these issues.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:30 PM

Looks like that East Lake and 12th street proposal got revised, they shortened it and changed the look. They shortened it by 9 stories.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...ec.%207_22.pdf

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:22 PM
danylo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Looks like that East Lake and 12th street proposal got revised, they shortened it and changed the look. They shortened it by 9 stories.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...ec.%207_22.pdf

What a disappointment - from 30 stories to 18 and a much less landmarkish look.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:38 PM

either way, the design is basic and cheap looking.. I don't think it would be a landmark at 30 stories for the right resason. Blessing in disguise.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 6:34 PM

I'm thinking that they never expected 30 stories to get approved, but asked for that knowing it would likely get scaled back. They still ended up at 18 stories. If they'd asked for 20 stories, they probably would have been approved at 14-sh.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 8:32 PM

100% you have to think it was always the plan to go in asking for 30 knowing it would be revised down by a large amount. The same thing would have happened had they started at 20. Frankly, as much as I want height, I think this will suit the community better.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 9:38 PM

From the river side of this thing it will be in the 88 metre range. Will be the tallest looking in the skyline for sure.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 10:57 PM

From the drawings and the numbers I think it's going to be 21 stories not 18?

Will still be some respectable density for the neighborhood. Any word on when they are planning to break ground?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninipanini View Post
From the drawings and the numbers I think it's going to be 21 stories not 18?

Will still be some respectable density for the neighborhood. Any word on when they are planning to break ground?
I think it still needs to be rezoned and the property actually purchased. It's basically just an idea at this point, but hopefully they move on it. I'd guess the earliest they could begin is late 2024, but who knows....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan