HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:46 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
You're right, but there's no demand for more towers downtown right now.
IMHO I don't think we need more towers, just more density and less parking lots.
I get that this is the "skyscraper" page but I don't understand people's infatuation with skyscrapers or nothing.
There are tons of beautiful cities around the world that have low-rises and/or mid-rises (3 to 10 stories) with retail on the ground floor that make a downtown look more dense and walkable without having to build a brand new glass tower.
Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:26 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
IMHO I don't think we need more towers, just more density and less parking lots.
I get that this is the "skyscraper" page but I don't understand people's infatuation with skyscrapers or nothing.
There are tons of beautiful cities around the world that have low-rises and/or mid-rises (3 to 10 stories) with retail on the ground floor that make a downtown look more dense and walkable without having to build a brand new glass tower.
Just my 2 cents.
Totally agreed.

Pretty much par for the course with North American design. Hyperinflated land values really make the economics of building that kind of personal-scale density difficult here. If only we had been settled in the 1400s and had a few hundred years of solid growth during a different building scale era.

What we should be doing is proactively preserving that scale that does exist here, but we are seriously lousy at doing it and from the last leaked arena photos it looks like we're going to bulldoze a very serviceable and sizeable chunk of that scale again. Our planners and council are so far in the developers pockets it is nothing but design choices based on who is making money on it. There is nothing guiding the city to better design.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
Just my 2 cents.
At this point, I would be happy with anything that replaces surface parking lots.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:38 PM

We are a city built for cars, not people. We are looking at demolishing heritage properties for an arena instead of using a space facing Broad Street where it is mostly empty lots/parking lots.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2023, 1:27 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
We are a city built for cars, not people. We are looking at demolishing heritage properties for an arena instead of using a space facing Broad Street where it is mostly empty lots/parking lots.
Pretty much says it all.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan