HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I thought it was because you were allegedly a big fan of these:

Maybe because of these:

No, not really, actually.

But you had to see where this was heading.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
There are certain offerings in there that are totally unique to CC, but other things can be found at competing places outside the market for less money and less hassle. Period.
One thing is you definitely can't get authentic Chinese Bourbon Chicken at RTM. You can't even get it in China, so far as I know. I think there is a law that limits its sale to mall food courts in the US and requires it to have a bright orange side of sweet and sour pork and a 32 ounce Mountain Dew. So if you are jonesin' big time at lunch for some Bourbon Chicken you are SOL at RTM. The Gallery Food Court is perfect for you.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:28 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
You (amongst others) are commenting and taking offense without even understanding my original comments. All I said was a)RTM is often packed at lunchtime and its almost impossible to find somewhere to sit b)You can get lunch for less money outside fof RTM and most people in CC do just that and c)Many people who are in and around the Market every day stay out of there at peak times.

Thats all I was saying- not sure how so many are acting like I insulted their mother. The things I said are absolutely true- it doesn't mean Im anti RTM or that Ive suggested you can get a better meal at McDonalds. If you live in CC or shop there off peak than Im sure its a much different experience. If you go in there between 12-2 on a nice day (especially if there is a convention in town) its about as crowded as the El during rush hour. There are certain offerings in there that are totally unique to CC, but other things can be found at competing places outside the market for less money and less hassle. Period.
*cough cough*
Quote:
RTM is HEAVILY supported by tourists who dont mind being gouged on pricing. I really do not that its a regular stop for many average Philadelphians- this one included. Its mobbed with tourists, its loud and its very expensive. As for the store mix in the soon to be closed gallery- most of the stores were chain stores that would be found in other malls or shopping centers. I really don't know that the mix was good or bad. I mean people of all types (even much worshipped millenials) use stores like Old Navy. The Mall itself needed some updates and new attractions- that wasn't happening and thus is was allowed to basically remain unchanged for 30 years- never a recipe for success. I dont think much effort was made to save the Gallery or keep it relevant. The fact that it was owned completely by one entity may have been part of the problem.
True enough that RTM is supported in part by tourists. But only in part: e.g. Molly Malloy's most certainly caters almost entirely to a tourist clientele, while the grocers and butchers and fishmongers sell more-or-less exclusively to a local clientele. Tourists aren't going around buying fresh rabbit. There are also a number of good, low-cost lunch options in the Market that don't cater to a tourist clientele (like that mini-cafeteria).

You are continuing to assert that locals don't shop there, and as the store mix shows, that is just factually wrong.

Now if you don't mind, you've made me hungry and I'm kinda digging RTM for lunch now.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Now if you don't mind, you've made me hungry and I'm kinda digging RTM for lunch now.
Sorry, no Bourbon Chicken there. Head on over to the Gallery Food Court instead and then get some one-of-a-kind Dunkin Donuts for desert. It's faster, cheaper, less noisy, and less touristy than RTM, too. One of Philly's least known and most under appreciated urban dining experiences.

The Wendy's at 15th & Chestnut isn't bad, either.

You might even get i-Phone-jacked while you're there! That shit is fun.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:12 PM

Pearl Properties' Waverly Court expansion update

Last edited by summersm343; Apr 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:15 PM

^^That's a great project

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
One thing is you definitely can't get authentic Chinese Bourbon Chicken at RTM. You can't even get it in China, so far as I know. I think there is a law that limits its sale to mall food courts in the US and requires it to have a bright orange side of sweet and sour pork and a 32 ounce Mountain Dew. So if you are jonesin' big time at lunch for some Bourbon Chicken you are SOL at RTM. The Gallery Food Court is perfect for you.
I never said anything about eating in Gallery Food court. YOu are the one who basically said CC is no place for any fast food or food that is below your standards. I pointed out a few things about RTM- you threw fit and then said told me to stick to the gallery food court. The response made no sense. I said numerous times I rarely go to the gallery. I said some food diversity in CC is a good thing- you said things that you don't like aren't considered food and thus should be of little interest to anyone with standards and decency.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Sorry, no Bourbon Chicken there. Head on over to the Gallery Food Court instead and then get some one-of-a-kind Dunkin Donuts for desert. It's faster, cheaper, less noisy, and less touristy than RTM, too. One of Philly's least known and most under appreciated urban dining experiences.

The Wendy's at 15th & Chestnut isn't bad, either.

You might even get i-Phone-jacked while you're there! That shit is fun.
Yes because the only people who eat at any chain or non gourmet food outlet in CC are teens who don't go to school and are liable to attack or harass the folks who belong in CC at any given time. No working people or people who have the standing to deserve airspace in CC eat anywhere but the places YOU eat. Im starting to understand everything now. When I walk past a dunkin donuts all I see are young future drop outs in line. THey get some coffee before they stop in the nearest sneaker store looking for the latest $700 pair of Nikes. Who knew you could use an ACCESS card in shit hole sneaker stores?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 8:16 PM

please just stop......

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
only people who eat at any chain or non gourmet food outlet in CC are teens who don't go to school and are liable to attack or harass the folks who belong in CC at any given time.
RTM is gourmet now too? Dinics?

Quote:
Who knew you could use an ACCESS card in shit hole sneaker stores?
No wonder the Republicans are so mad all the time. Who knew?

C'mon, you're getting too caught up in this whole thing.

The bottom line is that it is great the Gallery is getting overhauled. It could use an improved design and stores mix that appeals to a socio-economically broader array of customers. It's that simple.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrocks66 View Post
please just stop......
Agreed, please just stop!!!...moderators, what do you think?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:24 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

If certain somebodies do not stop certain somebodies may find themselves with surprise infractions. You know who you are.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:34 PM

Agreed. This is a place where a lot of us go to share and learn information about new projects happening in Philly. We do not want to read pages and pages of bull shit.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Agreed. This is a place where a lot of us go to share and learn information about new projects happening in Philly. We do not want to read pages and pages of bull shit.
I'm a huge fan of bullshit. But I prefer fancy renderings and (shhh!) the odd insider tidbit that drops here compared to specious arguments regarding race and urban development. If you want to read about race and urban development just grab a copy of Caro's The Power Broker and you can debate in your own head all day. Ready, set, go? The Gallery is an eyesore. No one argues that. It's one of those throwbacks to a time when Brutalism was "a thing". Look at Center City One, thing looks like a missile silo converted into apartment. Let's just hope they make The Gallery much better (I like the idea of letting in some light to that concrete wasteland) and that everyone can enjoy it. Frankly whatever has happened there is in the past now that a proposal has been made for improvement. Progress is the main theme of this forum as far as I can tell and we should focus on the future.

Last edited by pfrieden; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
If certain somebodies do not stop certain somebodies may find themselves with surprise infractions. You know who you are.
For a second there I read this as "surprise infarctions". I was like, holy crap, dude's legit going to start giving people heart attacks if they don't stop.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:04 AM

Dispute settled on airport expansion plan
Quote:
The City of Philadelphia, Delaware County, and that county's Tinicum Township signed a multimillion-dollar financial settlement Wednesday to end long-simmering tensions between the city-owned Philadelphia International Airport and its municipal neighbors over a massive plan to expand the airport.

Terms of the agreement, announced in May 2014 and finalized with Wednesday's signing, includes funding to protect tax revenues for Delaware County, Tinicum Township, and the Interboro School District.

Two-thirds of the airport is in Tinicum.

The city also agreed not to acquire 72 Tinicum houses and displace 300 residents.
Quote:
The city and Tinicum agreed to a 50-year lease-purchase of Hog Island Road on the airport's periphery. The city will initially purchase 8.6 acres of the roadway for construction of a proposed runway. The portion of roadway property not initially purchased will be leased to the city for $390,000 a year.

The agreement settles four lawsuits and years of litigation with Tinicum, and paves the way for land acquisition and further talks with United Parcel Service about relocating from 212 acres it owns on Hog Island Road.

The plan would save the houses and move UPS's large airfreight operation close to Terminal A and nearly a mile from any homes.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...EvYUu66ewPL.99

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Or foul language I would add.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Or foul language I would add.
Interesting thought.

Quote:
Who knew you could use an ACCESS card in shit hole sneaker stores?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrocks66 View Post
please just stop......
Great first post

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:33 PM

After all that stuff above ... here's some levity:

In Shops at Liberty Place - canned goods art on display - including the Philly skyline and Schuylkill River boardwalk:

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Although this one steals the show ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development