HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:24 PM

Infill 55+ housing planned for Kierland area. Up to 175 units on 2ish acres, 4 stories on top of ground floor parking.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-10-16.pdf

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Infill 55+ housing planned for Kierland area. Up to 175 units on 2ish acres, 4 stories on top of ground floor parking.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-10-16.pdf
Kierland is seriously growing incredibly fast. I wish that development would go to our existing urban cores but good growth is good growth.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 9:55 PM

Ronnie - it's just fear holding over from the last cycle, I suppose. Already, more has broken ground than ever did during those days; but, when it comes to demolishing something like Circles (and the project is requiring a GPLET to be feasible), I get nervous.

iLuminate would be more urban if had included a small DeGrazia museum, or space for a gallery, or had live/work lining 3rd Street (ditto Linear). 0 setbacks are a nice feature of urban design, but the stretch from there through Alliance's lobby and leasing will be painfully boring now that the other side looks great with Oliver's Sophisticated Bean (awesome signage, FINALLY! Public Image should take note), Public Image, Ike's, etc.

Ditto to whoever noted Cobra Arcade's building; that one building alone shows the benefits of adaptive reuse. An antique store, incredibly popular bar, and local architect firm can all afford to be in the heart of EC. Palabra + Futuro and Sutra Karma (I hadn't yet seen it) on 1st Street look fantastic, also!

I still love Proxxy, but was disappointed to see the original McKinley frontage redesigned so much (badly). The parking was originally accessed via alleyway, which left about 5 live/work units along the road, but the garage is now accessed via McKinley, dropping that to maybe 2 before the garage ramps, etc. McKinley is so stop-go with urban pockets followed by blank spaces, so I'd hoped that this would have been more connected to Moira, Cobra, etc. Hopefully, the land surrounding it will be a great project eventually.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:01 PM

WTF happened on 7th Street/Roosevelt? Last I paid attention, the K was under construction, but I had no idea they were building on their former site as well. Surely, they had to request variances to be able to have a parking lot fronting that intersection and if so, how could that be approved with the auto-oriented uses on each of the corners? It's a great tenant - a community center for the disabled - but the design is just so inappropriate for is the gateway into downtown and an important point of connectivity between a struggling, but revitalizing neighborhood (Garfield) and its much more thriving neighbor (EC). The PBC is already doing enough to shut out Eastlake, and this intersection is a complete fail when you look at the rehab efforts just south.

A small, 4-story mixed use building with parking the rear could have housed this center, along with a joint EC+Garfield community center, classrooms for promoting arts to the community and disabled, gallery space, and the Welcome Center that is continuously talked about.

Looks like plans are being finalized to put out a new RFP for the city-owned land (incl. Knipe House) along 2nd Street between Roosevelt and Moreland. As I usually feel, I think this community gets too much of a say in what happens to city-owned land and assets. Converting the historic 2nd Street landscaping buffer to accommodate angled parking is really shitty; both 2nd and 1st Streets should have been designed to pull people into Hance Park, and looks like both will fail miserably at doing so. Nothing horrifying about their ideas, but I don't get why perfectly fine rehabs on Portland are being targeted for redevelopment? Let's try and build on the empty lots first, please.
https://app.box.com/s/xdv0uh61g8b8kjeovaqtatb9kjzkii8q

Given the City is still batting 0% on their RFPs and AFAIK, The Oscar on 2nd/Portland is yet to break ground, I wouldn't my breathe on anything happening.

This developer is doing quite a bit in the triangle neighborhood. The City is counting pedestrian activity between 7th Ave from Fillmore for the possible installation of a crosswalk. Too bad Wood Partners' Alta is a giant fortress. But, these guys seem like they do good work, and also have a project planned for Grant St/2nd St.
http://www.vannormandevelopment.com/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:16 PM

^re things not getting off the ground momentum is starting to slow quite a bit with development.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
^re things not getting off the ground momentum is starting to slow quite a bit with development.
Slowing down? The only thing that seems stalled to me is Central Station, and even that still claims to be alive.

We have two new 20 stories coming down the pipe right now and thousands of under construction units.

Tempe just got a rash of new mid rises. I don't see the slowdown?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 8:53 PM

Let me know when those "two new 20 stories coming down the pipe right now" begin construction.

We saw a large number of projects come into development in a very short time and the aggressiveness of developers as well as the willingness of lenders has slowed down significantly since that happened. I'm not saying nothing else will be built, I'm saying things have really slowed down in relation to what was happening. Don't expect this cycle of development to last much longer, we're already on the tail end.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Slowing down? The only thing that seems stalled to me is Central Station, and even that still claims to be alive.

We have two new 20 stories coming down the pipe right now and thousands of under construction units.

Tempe just got a rash of new mid rises. I don't see the slowdown?
The Oscar, Central Station, Barrister, McKinley Row, McKinley/2nd Ave, Ballpark Lofts, and Edison have all yet to start construction. I don't know the status of Alta Thomas beyond demo, 3rd and Osborn, and the many projects proposed for Eastlake (I know at least two are nearing completion, but 6 or so were proposed).

Tempe had a few midrises built that were proposed over a year ago. Nothing that has been proposed recently has been approved or broken ground except for 1000 Apache and I think The Jefferson just started? Motley, Fore, Villas at Southbank, Mill+Rio, and 7S are in limbo AFAIK; Crescent was pulled, Farmer Arts will likely be pulled, and then there are the projects too soon to tell: Standard, Maxwell, Foundry, Broadstone. Tempe has had a lot of nice infill townhome projects going up, though.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 5:59 PM

Pics of Portland Place 2 taken on Easter Sunday 2016. Since Phx has such a small skyline, a building this size really makes an impact!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 6:06 PM

Pics of the new apartments on the SWC of 3rd Street and Roosevelt taken on 3/27/16 (Linear.)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 6:17 PM

Pics of Alta Fillmore taken on Easter Sunday 2016. This project is really transforming a vapid part of downtown PHX. I love the urban feel to the project - the parking will all be on the interior and it appears there will be no gates or fortress style walls around it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The Oscar, Central Station, Barrister, McKinley Row, McKinley/2nd Ave, Ballpark Lofts, and Edison have all yet to start construction. I don't know the status of Alta Thomas beyond demo, 3rd and Osborn, and the many projects proposed for Eastlake (I know at least two are nearing completion, but 6 or so were proposed).

Tempe had a few midrises built that were proposed over a year ago. Nothing that has been proposed recently has been approved or broken ground except for 1000 Apache and I think The Jefferson just started? Motley, Fore, Villas at Southbank, Mill+Rio, and 7S are in limbo AFAIK; Crescent was pulled, Farmer Arts will likely be pulled, and then there are the projects too soon to tell: Standard, Maxwell, Foundry, Broadstone. Tempe has had a lot of nice infill townhome projects going up, though.
Motley is not in limbo at all. Tower Crane up and working on the second level

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:19 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
Motley is not in limbo at all. Tower Crane up and working on the second level

Also, Alta Thomas is progressing along. I stopped by and looked over the construction fence today. There's a TON of plumbing going into the ground and concrete work going on. Much further along than when I checked 2 weeks ago. So moving nicely.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:28 PM

2nd and Mcdowell north side of the street. I'm not sure if you can see in this photo but the apartments are going to be about 3' above grade, not sure if there will be entrances on the street but I'm guessing no because they are at back about 8' from the sidewalk, that usually means wall or fence.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Apr 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:34 PM

/\ Which one is that? The one Alvarado & McDowell?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Which one is that? The one Alvarado & McDowell?

Correct, that's Broadstone Arts District on McDowell and Alvarado. To my knowledge, Biggus, there isn't a wall or fence planned in the project.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:02 PM

That sounds a lot like Broadstone Biltmore...part of the subterranean garage is exposed at grade level, sounds like this won't be much different.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:14 PM
Modulator

Walked by and noticed this building on Central and Filmore across the street from Circle K is getting rehab work on the interior with new windows replacing those awful steel-like shutters.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know much about this building. Anyone know if this is going to be apartments or ?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:23 PM

/\That's just a part of the Westward Ho. But nice upgrade.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Walked by and noticed this building on Central and Filmore across the street from Circle K is getting rehab work on the interior with new windows replacing those awful steel-like shutters.
It looks like they've just removed the old 'sun screens' from the existing original casement windows. That western exposure gets roasted, I'd be surprised if they're gone for long. Some awnings would go a long way towards helping though, and would brighten up the place. That desolate facade and landscape-free sidewalk has always bummed me out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest