HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:57 PM

Hollywood film studio announces major production complex in the Valley

Nice to see the Arizona Motion Picture Production Program (recently went into law) already paying dividends.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...isolation=true

Quote:
Acacia Filmed Entertainment has signed a commercial development agreement to build a film studio and production training facility in the Valley, the company announced Monday.

Earlier this summer, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey allowed a bill that proposed $125 million in tax incentives for TV and movie productions to become law and now film studios are trying to get a footing in Arizona before the incentives go into effect in 2023.

Acacia’s Arizona Studio Complex will include 14 sound stages and support offices across 624,000 square feet on 70 acres of land. It will also include a 30-acre backlot for further expansion. The current plans for the project call for a 60,000-square-foot stage, which would be one of the largest in the world.

Acacia’s founder and the head of the project, Matthew George, told entertainment trade publication Variety that the project would be built in the “Scottsdale area” and a lobbyist who represented the company when the legislature considered Arizona Motion Picture Production Program bill told the Arizona Republic in April that the studio would be built on Salt River Pima-Maricopa tribal land near Talking Stick Resort.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Nice to see the Arizona Motion Picture Production Program (recently went into law) already paying dividends.

If you're are trying to attract talent then I would think the resorts in east Phoenix and Scottdale are good resources for them to stay.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:

Nice of them to wait until the bill passed before they announced, to keep the charade alive that it made the difference. I'd love it if my business literally got a check from the state just to operate here (this is not a credit, it's a REFUNDABLE credit, aka just a check).

Dividends? We'll see if the juice is worth the squeeze I guess. These programs have been quite the boondoggle around the US.

Now I'm going to quickly duck to avoid the tomatoes because I know this board seems to love any incentive deal as long as something is getting built.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 7:08 PM
Skyriser

Not me ... I seem to recall these have been tried before in Arizona and once the credits disappeared the production companies packed up for other states. This state hasn't been a part of major TV and film production for decades and is way behind New Mexico, Vancouver, and Georgia who have continually focused their efforts.

I also think it being too hot to shoot outside six+ months out of the year, especially for somebody in coastal California, makes this industry too wild of a goose to chase. Maybe there's something I'm missing with fall season premieres and six months of a show leaves it workable but we'll see. Movies certainly don't work on those constraints.

Wouldn't also surprise me if the reservation site the tribe were subsidizing the construction because it fits with their overall hospitality and entertainment mission.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 7:11 PM

Breaking Bad set in Apache Junction would've been awesome

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Not me ... I seem to recall these have been tried before in Arizona and once the credits disappeared the production companies packed up for other states. This state hasn't been a part of major TV and film production for decades and is way behind New Mexico, Vancouver, and Georgia who have continually focused their efforts.

I also think it being too hot to shoot outside six+ months out of the year, especially for somebody in coastal California, makes this industry too wild of a goose to chase. Maybe there's something I'm missing with fall season premieres and six months of a show leaves it workable but we'll see. Movies certainly don't work on those constraints.

Wouldn't also surprise me if the reservation site the tribe were subsidizing the construction because it fits with their overall hospitality and entertainment mission.
Isn't there no property taxes if you're on the res? I seem to recall that being an incentive for Top Golf and the Aquarium. Probably have to pay an in-lieu tariff to the tribe.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:

I was actually pretty close to the action in New Mexico when they started their Hollywood journey. It is a long slog, and it takes years. At the beginning, it was talking to the locals who were already working with film (Brad Carvey--Dana Carvey's brother was working at the local community college teaching visual effects, the film adjuncts at UNM, the folks who did seasonal work as grips and best boys, etc.). New Mexico took years setting up the infrastructure that made production possible. Programs to teach folks how to do all of the jobs of film production, getting the hospitality business onboard, local law enforcement onboard, etc.

It's possible, and Arizona has a LOT of beautiful scenery, but it takes a sustained effort. We'll see...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 8:03 PM

Senate OKs semiconductor chip bill, which Sen. Mark Kelly says will lower prices

Here we go again, more government hand-outs!! /s

On a serious note, great news for the Valley and hope this means the rumored TSMC expansion plans now become a reality. Headed to the House now for a vote where it will likely pass.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...y/10154592002/

Quote:
The Senate voted Wednesday to pass a bill aimed at stimulating American semiconductor chip production, a major priority of Sen. Mark Kelly who said it would help keep prices lower for consumers.
"It means lower costs for everyday products that depend on microchips," Kelly, D-Ariz., said Tuesday at a Capitol Hill news conference. "It means we can stay ahead of China, and that we won't rely on them or other countries for our microchip supply. And finally, it means tens of thousands of jobs in places like Arizona."

The CHIPS for America Act is a $52 billion bipartisan effort to boost the nation's semiconductor industry through grants, tax breaks and federal incentives. During a pandemic-induced supply chain shortage that has limited the country's supply of semiconductor chips, federal officials sought to frame the bill's passage as a national security issue.

The Senate voted 64-32 to send the bill to the House.

“A disruption to our chip supply would be catastrophic,” White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said Monday at a virtual meeting with Biden Monday. “So I'm both excited and relieved that we're on the cusp of addressing this fundamental national vulnerability.”

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jul 27, 2022 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Here we go again, more government hand-outs!!

On a serious note, great news for the Valley and hope this means the rumored TSMC expansion plans now become a reality.

Government handouts to bring a major industry back to the united states?

I am not going to complain. We should try to bring as much industry to North America as possible and let the rest of the world die as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 10:15 PM

Out of all the things one should be spending government money on, this is it. Bringing semiconductor production to the US should be the absolute the highest priority, especially when one sees that Taiwan could be invaded soon. If that happens, we‘re high and dry. Can’t happen fast enough.
Quote:
Here we go again, more government hand-outs!! /s

On a serious note, great news for the Valley and hope this means the rumored TSMC expansion plans now become a reality. Headed to the House now for a vote where it will likely pass.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 11:10 PM
Skyriser

The production never left the US, it's just that Samsung and TSMC are using the most advanced semiconductor production processes and Intel is stuck on years-older technology. There are plenty of domestic fabs on less advanced technology.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 11:21 PM

If you want to learn a bit about TSMC and this market, I highly recommend the Acquired podcast on the company, which is fascinating. These guys do a great job breaking it down.

It's sort of interesting how their record-breaking investment in AZ is still not well known. I have talked to a lot of informed folks who had no idea. It's a top 10 company in the world and they're making AZ their second home.

https://www.acquired.fm/episodes/tsmc

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The production never left the US, it's just that Samsung and TSMC are using the most advanced semiconductor production processes and Intel is stuck on years-older technology. There are plenty of domestic fabs on less advanced technology.
From what I've read its more like grades of semiconductor

We are trying to basically onshore all levels as the semiconductors produced overseas have seen the worst disruption and is largely under the thumb of China which is a problem that needs addressing.

Expect to see more of this across more industries because A) its political popular B) Its geopolitically smart and C) People connected in high ends of business and Politics got a hard lesson in the fragility of the global trade system thanks to covid lockdown and crazy swings in demand/production.

Works great in the 1945-present world, not so great in the coming multipolar neo isolationist USA world

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 3:23 PM

Last Major Parcel in Ahwatukee Being developed

I know most dont care but just learned that they finally have a plan for the final parcel of significant size in the Ahwatukee area.

https://www.ahwatukee.com/news/artic...0a9701913.html

The Location: https://goo.gl/maps/8azhnsDsXdCTjuBy7

Quote:
The plan for developing the 373 acres of former State Trust Land in Ahwatukee was unveiled last week, with the developer expecting work to begin late this year or in early 2023 building 1,050 one- and two-story houses, 150 build-to-rent townhomes and 329 apartments and starting home sales in 2024.

The Ahwatukee Foothills Village Planning Committee got a preview during its monthly meeting April 25 of Blandford Homes’ plans for the vast piece of desert next to Club West along Chandler Boulevard between 19th and 27th avenues that will be renamed Canyon Reserve.

Then, on May 23, the committee will be asked to give a formal recommendation to the Phoenix Planning Commission on a General Plan amendment for the development. The commission on June 2 will make a recommendation for a City Council hearing July 1 on that amendment. That would be Council’s last meeting before its summer break.

The land, which Blandford bought at a state Land Department auction last June for $175.5 million – far above the appraised value of $105 million – is already zoned for homes, apartments and some commercial development. The amendment will affect street classifications for the development, which also will include 29.21 acres of wash corridor.

While a good deal of the presentation focused on that amendment, some committee members also focused on so far nonexistent plans to address public safety services for a development that will bring thousands of people and vehicles to the area.

The General Plan amendment includes expanding Chandler Boulevard to five

lanes along that stretch that borders Canyon Reserve.

And as it has been since March 2020, the Village Planning Committee’s consideration of the plan on May 23 will be online only, with a WebEx link released by the Phoenix Planning Department about 10 days ahead of the meeting.

Alan Beaudoin of Norris Design, the zoning consultant for the project, spent a good part of his presentation to the committee on the purpose of the General Plan amendment, explaining, “Chandler Boulevard is not a completed street – it’s only partially developed as it sits out there today.”

“We are asking for an amendment to the current street-classification map that calls for a five-lane road for Chandler Boulevard adjacent to the front edge of the subject property – two lanes in each direction and the center turn lane,” he said. The width of Chandler Boulevard would be shortened, therefore, from 100 feet to 60 feet.

The original street classification anticipated Chandler Boulevard would connect to the South Mountain Freeway – something that did not occur.

So the current city street classification calls for Chandler Boulevard to be much wider than it needs to be with the freeway interchange having been moved to 17th Avenue, Beaudoin explained.

“There’s not a need to have such a large roadway adjacent to the property and the street class amendment would propose to modify the cross section of the roadways to reduce the roadway and work toward probably a more multimodal approach to the use of that piece of roadway,” he said.

That “multimodal approach” involves the city’s request for bike lanes on both sides of Chandler Boulevard.

Beaudoin said the city Department of Streets Transportation “is requesting enhanced consideration for bicycle facilities and so we’re working in our amendment process and inner-master plans to do some unique configurations of the bike lanes.”

In addition, the development plan calls for extending Liberty Lane to Chandler Boulevard, but only as a local street because the freeway interchange is now at 17th Avenue.

Liberty Lane “was anticipated to be a much larger road connecting up with a freeway interchange and, of course, that did not happen, Beaudoin said. “So we are asking that that road be not classified and that we’re allowed to construct it as just a local street to provide some connectivity to the neighborhoods that we’re developing as well as the neighborhoods to the immediate west.”

Because Beaudoin’s presentation followed a lengthy presentation by the city of its plans to expand the network of electric vehicle charging stations and develop a way for low-income residents to access the expensive vehicles, the committee was interested in Blandford Homes’ plans for charging stations.

The city plan calls for modifying planning regulations and working with utility companies to make it easier – and possibly mandatory – for new-builds to include EV-charging capability.

Beaudoin noted that Blandford Homes as a company offers charging stations as an option to homebuyers, depending on the plan they choose.

But he said while there is an “increasing number of homebuyers in the builder’s other communities that are choosing a plan with an EV charging station, “it is still not an option often selected.”

“We see it in the future as something that the market is going to continue to be interested in and having available as a choice for them,” he added.

That led to a question about whether any of the approximate 11 acres of the development now zoned commercial would allow for a gas station. But Beaudoin said he had no idea whether a gas station would eventually end up in that area.

The bigger concern was raised by committee member Darin Fisher of Vision Community Management, which manages three of the HOAs closest to Canyon Reserve.

Fisher focused on whether Phoenix fire and police departments had plans to build substations there.

“Our single greatest concern we have down is the lack of public safety,” Fisher said. The Phoenix Fire Department, the ambulance services and Police Department cannot meet their stated delivery times for service to Foothills Reserve, Calabria. Promontory.

He added those services “are continually missing” target delivery times in Club West and other nearby HOAs as well.

“There has long been a debate down in our end of Ahwatukee about putting a fire substation or police substation down there,” Fisher said, noting Canyon Reserve will bring at least 5,000 new residents and as many as 3,200 motor vehicles that will be “massively impacting the density in that particular end of Ahwatukee.”

“That has not come up in conversation yet,” Beaudoin replied. “But we haven’t started the extensive process with the City of Phoenix Planning and Development Department yet either. …This is the first that we hear of a public response challenge in the western portion of the Ahwatukee Foothills.

“We certainly will be having conversations with the Fire Department, for sure. And can certainly bring up conversations with the Police Department as well as it relates to those services,” he continued.

City records show that while there had been a plan for a fire station in the Phoenix’s long-range capital improvement program, that project is no longer on the books. City officials did not have an explanation and records do not reflect a reason why it was dropped.

Fisher said, “there were old maps of this state land and potential development that showed the possibility of “substations being added to the capital improvement program “but nothing’s ever been formal.”

But he added, “It’s just one of the things that I know is going to be a touchstone topic of conversation going forward for a lot of the homeowners in the area.”

Beaudoin also was asked whether Blandford will be completing a sound wall along the northern edge of the South Mountain Freeway, where there is about a 3,400-foot gap.

“We’ve had good conversations with ADOT about us constructing a wall,” he replied.

“We’re obviously interested in noise mitigation for future residents …and that’s been the nature of the conversation so far. And what we’re hoping to do is move toward an agreement.”

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 8:56 PM

TSMC Arizona fab nears completion

Fab 21 has topped out.

https://digitimes.com/news/a20220729VL200/tsmc.html
Quote:
TSMC held recently a topping-out ceremony for a new 5nm fab in the US state of Arizona, according to the pure-play foundry.

In its LinkedIn post, TSMC said it is making progress on the construction of Fab 21, its new 5nm fab in Phoenix. "TSMC Arizona is on time and on track to bring the most advanced leading-edge semiconductor technology to the US," the company said in the post.

TSMC is scheduled to kick off equipment move-in at the Arizona fab in the second half of 2022, the company disclosed previously. The foundry expects to enter volume production at the phase-one facility of the fab, designed for a monthly production capacity of 20,000 wafers, in the first quarter of 2024.

During a Q&A session of TSMC's earnings conference call in mid-July, company chairman Mark Liu talked about the higher-than-expected costs for the new fab in Arizona. But costs should not be the matter, as the fab is to meet the needs of TSMC's local customers in the US, Liu said. Subsidies from the US government will be vital to TSMC's efforts to reduce costs, according to Liu.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:39 PM

I've got a lot of thoughts but I'll save it, these graphs show that rent has finally peaked and vacancy rates are continuing to climb. Looks like the craziness is finally over in the rental world; it was over 30 days ago with sales.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:57 PM

Fairly extensive article on issues related to homeless encampments, spurred by a new lawsuit seeking to get the largest encampment declared a public nuisance:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...wsuit-14213947

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Fairly extensive article on issues related to homeless encampments, spurred by a new lawsuit seeking to get the largest encampment declared a public nuisance:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...wsuit-14213947
This will not be solved until we undo some of the restrictions of involuntary commitments put in place in the 1980's. An overreaction based on isolated incidents, cites and states need to get these people off the streets and in treatment for drugs and mental problems.

The temporary transient population for economic reasons is a small portion of the chronic homeless that are mostly incapable and/or unwilling of helping themselves or taking help that is available.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 5:59 AM
Skyriser

The state of mental homes in the early 1980s prior to deinstitutionalization was FAR from isolated. And one of the issues that the Supreme Court decided on was that people who were involuntarily committed basically had no right of due process. Funding was an issue then as it is now.

People should be realistic. Arizona ranks 48th in per capita psychiatric beds to begin with. It's not like the state is just going to see the light and go on some funding and building spree.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
The state of mental homes in the early 1980s prior to deinstitutionalization was FAR from isolated. And one of the issues that the Supreme Court decided on was that people who were involuntarily committed basically had no right of due process. Funding was an issue then as it is now.

People should be realistic. Arizona ranks 48th in per capita psychiatric beds to begin with. It's not like the state is just going to see the light and go on some funding and building spree.
As much as I dislike tax increases, this is probably the only way to fund it. In my opinion, the tax should be tied to a "sin tax" like booze, cigs, and weed. Even homeless people will help fund it. But that obviously won't be enough to fund it despite my own contributions. An increase in property tax also makes sense to me. Our property value is affected by homelessness. This puts the community in a position to fund a visible benefit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest