HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 8:17 PM

To add to Chad's story, above....

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story...n/10086368002/

This makes me proud to be an alum of the University of Alabama. RTR

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 1:58 PM

Tuscaloosa ranked #4 city in the Nation for Job Opportunities.

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/...rtunities-2022

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Tuscaloosa ranked #4 city in the Nation for Job Opportunities.

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/...rtunities-2022
Good to hear. Tuscaloosa's main focus should be focused on job growth, retaining younger professionals, and better educational opportunities for lower-income areas.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:

I have talked to all the people that I need to and got the green light if I'm willing to take the heat from anyone who may be angry for jumping the gun. I'm willing to take the heat and I have decided to give you guys a glimpse of the document and I'm willing to reveal some details of this amazing $1.4 billion investment that will transform the city of Tuscaloosa and The University of Alabama. This is the great news that I have been hoping for, for years now. Kudos to Dr. Mumper for all his work in putting together this plan. He has definitely earned his salary. Expect and official announcement in the coming weeks (first quarter of 2022). RTR

Feel free to ask questions and I'll tell you what I can. By the way, there is even more to come that I'll reveal at a later date. RTR
Any word on this?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:28 PM

Capstone, last August 16, 2021 this Annual Report (below) was released. The TID was mentioned on page 12, section 3.1. Hopefully, this years report will be released in a week or so and we can read about some progress on the project. According to a couple of reporters I know, Russell Mumpers office has been telling them they can't speak about it, citing a non-disclosure agreement. They acknowlege it's existance, but, just have been instructed to give no details. So, I'm guessing they have been instructed by Dr. Mumper to just not talk about it.

But, let me say, it was Dr. Mumper himself that said, last August, it would be announced in a few weeks (I took that to mean a month or two). Also, he personally handed over the document in the photo. The document is about 200 pages and goes into extreme detail of the project. Even providing three options of building design to BOT. This will be a massive undertaking. The thing that makes me feel great about the project is all the letters of support from many sources, like , the City of Tuscaloosa, the Tuscaloosa County Commission, the State of Alabama, the Chamber of Commerce, Mercedes, Alabama Power, etc.

The reporters I've spoken to said they want Phase Three of the Jack Warner/MLK project to be underway so they can have the road access under construction and stand on the property to put ceremonial shovels in the ground. For Phase Three to begin, an agreement between the City of Tuscaloosa and Kansas City Southern Railroad has to be reached on the design for the Parkway to pass under the train bridge. Last December, Jason Morton, of the Tuscaloosa News reported that progress was 95% on that agreement. Jason has since left the News and taken a position with an engineering firm (congrats to Jason). I've heard nothing about a final agreement. I know the city of Tuscaloosa is not the hold up. They wanted to begin Phase Three yesterday.

I know the difficulties of dealing with COVID have slowed progress. But, I know Russell Mumper is still excited about the project and has been ready to get the project underway. When this ball really gets rolling, Dr. Russell Mumper will go down as one of the best hires in University of Alabama history.

I'm consider myself a patient person, but, because this will be such a positive for the University and the City of Tuscaloosa, my patience is stretched to its limit. LOL

http://ovpred.ua.edu/files/2021/08/A...O-08.16.21.pdf

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 13, 2022 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 4:34 PM

By the way, Senator Shelby secured $20 million for this barge mooring development that will be along the river at the Tuscaloosa Innovation District. He secured the dollars in 2020 and the money is just sitting there waiting for all the activity to begin. So, even the money has to be patient.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Capstone, last August 16, 2021 this Annual Report (below) was released. The TID was mentioned on page 12, section 3.1. Hopefully, this years report will be released in a week or so and we can read about some progress on the project. According to a couple of reporters I know, Russell Mumpers office has been telling them they can't speak about it, citing a non-disclosure agreement. They acknowlege it's existance, but, just have been instructed to give no details. So, I'm guessing they have been instructed by Dr. Mumper to just not talk about it.

But, let me say, it was Dr. Mumper himself that said, last August, it would be announced in a few weeks (I took that to mean a month or two). Also, he personally handed over the document in the photo. The document is about 200 pages and goes into extreme detail of the project. Even providing three options of building design to BOT. This will be a massive undertaking. The thing that makes me feel great about the project is all the letters of support from many sources, like , the City of Tuscaloosa, the Tuscaloosa County Commission, the State of Alabama, the Chamber of Commerce, Mercedes, Alabama Power, etc.

The reporters I've spoken to said they want Phase Three of the Jack Warner/MLK project to be underway so they can have the road access under construction and stand on the property to put ceremonial shovels in the ground. For Phase Three to begin, an agreement between the City of Tuscaloosa and Kansas City Southern Railroad has to be reached on the design for the Parkway to pass under the train bridge. Last December, Jason Morton, of the Tuscaloosa News reported that progress was 95% on that agreement. Jason has since left the News and taken a position with an engineering firm (congrats to Jason). I've heard nothing about a final agreement. I know the city of Tuscaloosa is not the hold up. They wanted to begin Phase Three yesterday.

I know the difficulties of dealing with COVID have slowed progress. But, I know Russell Mumper is still excited about the project and has been ready to get the project underway. When this ball really gets rolling, Dr. Russell Mumper will go down as one of the best hires in University of Alabama history.

I'm consider myself a patient person, but, because this will be such a positive for the University and the City of Tuscaloosa, my patience is stretched to its limit. LOL

http://ovpred.ua.edu/files/2021/08/A...O-08.16.21.pdf
All good. I just wanted to make sure the plans never fell through and this will still happen. Ready to see it be announced.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:59 PM

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 15, 2022 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 9:20 PM

Thanks Packer. I've heard about 8,300 new freshmen for this fall. That is all well and good, but I really hope to see the in-state numbers increasing. As much as I love that we are a more national/global brand than we used to be we still need to educate the students in this state as a higher priority

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 9:57 PM

Cap, I promise I will shout it out from the mountain tops as soon as I know it will hit the presses. Great things are coming.

Chad, an individual who has attended my tailgate since she was a child, has worked in the admissions office for over a decade. She told me at the last tailgate, last season, that they had reached their quotas and shattered the record before Thanksgiving. The University of Alabama is a hot name Nationally and Internationally, now. Obviously, the interest continued after Turkey Day. It's a great problem. RTR

Plus, a new record, over 300 National Merit Scholars in this class. Amazing!! RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 15, 2022 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:22 PM

$26.8 million golf complex and practice course

This project is set to break ground soon.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:49 PM

Looks like a partneship with DCH and the University of Alabama System is closer to reality.

https://tuscaloosathread.com/leaders...tner-with-uab/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 2:09 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Very nice, Packer. Excited to see this begin.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 2:54 PM

This ORED Annual Report was released last week. When you have time, it's great reading. Chock full of good news.

https://alabama.app.box.com/s/nsjtv6...7t3bleu616tc3r

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Fantastic news! I know you can breathe a sigh of relief. Can't wait to see how the University grows with this. Saw where we beat out other regional schools like Auburn too.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:43 PM

Always remember...

We are light years ahead of the hayseeds. RTR

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 5:55 AM

Quote:
VERY exciting to see this published! Crossing fingers UA gets the funding. This will be a game changer on a very grand scale for Tuscaloosa and UA.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
VERY exciting to see this published! Crossing fingers UA gets the funding. This will be a game changer on a very grand scale for Tuscaloosa and UA.
Is there any scenario where they can't get the funding?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 7:18 PM

Remember, the DRIVE grant is not the Tuscaloosa Innovation District, but, when funded, will become under the umbrella of the Tuscaloosa Innovation District. Lot's of news coming soon. RTR

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast