HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 11:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg announced federal funds for the planned bike/ped bridge over the Rio Salado (at the the 3rd Street alignment) during a visit to Phoenix today.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 11:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg announced federal funds for the planned bike/ped bridge over the Rio Salado (at the the 3rd Street alignment) during a visit to Phoenix today.
I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:08 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for the update!
It's part of a bigger plan to make 3rd Street into a bike-friendly corridor south of Downtown. I know the city was counting on federal funds for a bridge over the riverbed, so this announcement is a major step forward for the project.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
A ped bridge from Nowhere to Nowhere. Thanks for the federal money I guess?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
A ped bridge from Nowhere to Nowhere. Thanks for the federal money I guess?
It will connect to the Rio Salado multi-use path which would feasibly create a connection from Tempe to Downtown Phoenix. I'm all for it. I ride the path frequently and have always wanted a better way to get to downtown from the path.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:47 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
It will connect to the Rio Salado multi-use path which would feasibly create a connection from Tempe to Downtown Phoenix. I'm all for it. I ride the path frequently and have always wanted a better way to get to downtown from the path.
That's a good point. I was thinking mainly in terms of north-south travel, but the link to the Rio Salado Path will open even more possibiliteis.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah but there is no lake no local pop and all industry all around.

Like I said I guess thanks for the federal money injection but seems premature until or if they ever try to repatriate the lake down through central phoenix or not

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah but there is no lake no local pop and all industry all around.

Like I said I guess thanks for the federal money injection but seems premature until or if they ever try to repatriate the lake down through central phoenix or not
Disagree. This will actually attract a lot of folks, lake or not (and I hope that there eventually is more water there). There are very few paths that are unobstructed by car traffic. This will be a beacon for development, and a real focal point for the Valley. When I go there, I see lots of people there, and that's with all of the current difficulties.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
This will be a beacon for development, and a real focal point for the Valley. .
I think you are far overselling the attraction of a pedestrian bridge surrounded by nothing.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:59 PM
Modulator

It probably won't spur development of any significance, but the bridge will be well used by pedestrians and cyclists.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Aug 13, 2022 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I think you are far overselling the attraction of a pedestrian bridge surrounded by nothing.
There are very few focal points here in the Valley, and even minimal ones are capitalized upon by developers. Every hill has expensive houses, light rail (which many here characterize as too slow) has spurred development along its entire route, as has the Indian Bend Greenbelt. Even canals are now getting developers building along them. If you think that a long bicycle and walking path along a riverbed won't attract developers, that is a bet I'll take every time. Pay no attention to the connectivity to Tempe, the two riparian areas already developed along the river, plane spotting, or this. Nothing to see here.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 8:18 PM

Have you been to 3rd Street and the river? This isn't going to and isn't intended to spur development. It's because the central avenue bridge isn't wide enough and they're moving the sidewalks and bike lanes to their own bridge.

It's an industrial area so if you're expecting this bridge to lead to fun and interesting development you'll be sad.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Have you been to 3rd Street and the river? This isn't going to and isn't intended to spur development. It's because the central avenue bridge isn't wide enough and they're moving the sidewalks and bike lanes to their own bridge.

It's an industrial area so if you're expecting this bridge to lead to fun and interesting development you'll be sad.
Which is garbo, imo. Phoenix could've had their own "Tempe Town Lake" but chose to keep everything industrial.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

Biked there and hiked there. See plenty of folks out there. Honestly, anything that takes pedestrians and bikes away from cars is best for everyone.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Which is garbo, imo. Phoenix could've had their own "Tempe Town Lake" but chose to keep everything industrial.
Not really. This is going to take decades, just like Tempe Town Lake did. It's going to happen, but it will take a while. Infrastructure always does.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 1:25 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
There are very few focal points here in the Valley, and even minimal ones are capitalized upon by developers. Every hill has expensive houses, light rail (which many here characterize as too slow) has spurred development along its entire route, as has the Indian Bend Greenbelt. Even canals are now getting developers building along them. If you think that a long bicycle and walking path along a riverbed won't attract developers, that is a bet I'll take every time. Pay no attention to the connectivity to Tempe, the two riparian areas already developed along the river, plane spotting, or this. Nothing to see here.
This is connecting the River to Downtown via 3rd Street *and* reuse of the old railroad and drainage easement in the vicinity of that same alignment, plus it'll have a lot of streetscape improvements. A two-way cycle track connecting Downtown to the River will have huge benefits, especially for that Central Park neighborhood which needs all the help it can get.

https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/3rdStreetRioSalado

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 9:02 PM

The bridge is awesome and knowing how many people use the trails as is, I have zero doubt that this will quickly become a very popular place. The critical element is how the space is used at the ends, but that will improve with time too. The stretch of the river between the 7s looks poised to become a really, really interesting area over the next decade between the light rail, the ped/bike infrastructure, the Audubon and all of the natural amenities, etc. As a whole, it will be attracting new ideas and development in no time.

Our neighbor's to the south have been doing the same thing along the Santa Cruz river with the Mercado District, and it has been an enormous success. If you have not visited, i encourage you to do so. It is in it's infancy, but has multiuse river paths, public transit stops, unique and well designed urban residential and mixed use development, a major regional HQ, a beautiful bridge, and hosts many big community events. It has taken a lot of time, vision, and faith, but it is hard to argue that it is not already one of the best examples of ground up urban neighborhoods in development in the west. I have no doubt PHX will see the same kind of enthusiasm and success over time.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 11:33 PM

The city is looking to revitalize McDowell along the miracle mile

https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/mcdowell7to51

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 6:02 AM
Skyriser

Wishful thinking. If they couldn't get Van Buren reconfigured, there's no hope for McDowell.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
Our neighbors to the south have been doing the same thing along the Santa Cruz river with the Mercado District, and it has been an enormous success. If you have not visited, i encourage you to do so. It is in it's infancy, but has multiuse river paths, public transit stops, unique and well designed urban residential and mixed use development, a major regional HQ, a beautiful bridge, and hosts many big community events. It has taken a lot of time, vision, and faith, but it is hard to argue that it is not already one of the best examples of ground up urban neighborhoods in development in the west. I have no doubt PHX will see the same kind of enthusiasm and success over time.
Thanks for sharing this example. I know that I've seen similar efforts in other cities, but this is a nice example from a desert and state neighbor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest