HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:40 PM

As always, appreciate the photos, timbad. I haven't been able to make it back to visit Mission Bay in almost 10 years, but even from photos it's remarkable to see how much it's changed since that day in February 2003 when my group moved into the first building on UCSF's campus.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
another look at the Loop rails on Illinois

Man, I really hope they continue the two-way protected bike lane along the eastern edge of Illinois via Terry Francois. It definitely looks like there's ample room to adjust the auto travel lanes and parking to accommodate.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:10 AM

Thanks again, timbad!

Also, I found this aerial view (it's a little dated), but it gives you a good idea of how crane cove park will fit into the neighborhood.

https://www.dronestudios.org/construction

Last edited by 1977; Sep 29, 2019 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:23 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Thanks again, timbad!

Also, I found this aerial view (it's a little dated), but it gives you a good idea of how crane crave park will fit into the neighborhood.
great find!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
... even from photos it's remarkable to see how much it's changed since that day in February 2003 when my group moved into the first building on UCSF's campus.
whoa, even before the view was something like this (which I think is from a webcam in 2004):

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
. . . it gives you a good idea of how crane crave park will fit into the neighborhood.
"crane crave" park? Seriously?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
whoa, even before the view was something like this (which I think is from a webcam in 2004):

Yep, Rock Hall was a steel skeleton when we moved in, the Rutter Center and Gladstone Institutes were just about to rise out of the ground I believe, and the quad was still under construction. Driving range was still there of course.

There was literally Genentech Hall and then the parking lot across 4th on 23A where the neurosciences building is currently going up, and that was it. We were hemmed in by fences that pretty much let us access only those two places.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 6:08 AM

the walkway between Channel and Long Bridge next to Arden

block 6W

the northernmost block of Illinois is quite torn up on its west side

even into the parking area

looking back south

the Psychiatry Center jumped up over the last week, and you can see that the scaffolding has started to come off 2177 Third in the background

you also get a glimpse of 2177 Third from Tennessee, where 777 Tennessee is finally starting to get its brown surface replacing the red-orange (lower-left corner)

a better look at 2177 Third

I'm liking how it seems to have turned out

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
"crane crave" park? Seriously?
Typos are fun. Fixed it for ya.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:02 AM

the future bayfront park, looking north

and looking south toward Crane Cove Park in progress

the 409 Illinois complex, from its good side (that's as good as it gets)

speaking of Illinois, I think they were removing some of the legacy rail from the pavement, a block north of the new rail for the T-Third Loop

950 Tennessee in Dogpatch

2177 Third, slowly uncovering

the Exchange and Mariposa Park

the hotel at Third and Channel

looking west up Channel

south up Third

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 5:55 PM

New Mission Rock Renderings and article:

Quote:
Waterfront towers are coming to Mission Rock. They won’t look like you’d expect

The best word to describe the architectural thrust of the Giants’ huge Mission Rock waterfront project is — audacious.

The term runs counter to the approach of so many developers and architects who treat pieces of the city as product, little more. Instead, the team and its co-developer hired four adventurous firms that conceived a quartet of buildings ranging in size from eight to 23 stories that take their cues from local topography — complete with towers that would have eroded silhouettes and greenery spilling from crevice-like nooks.

Such audacity could backfire, no matter how cool the renderings might be. But the designs being filed with the city on Monday are both provocative and fresh, a promising start to one of San Francisco’s new frontiers.

https://www.sfchronicle.com

Some great architects involved in this project:

Quote:
The architects — MVRDV of The Netherlands, Henning Larsen of Denmark, WORKac of New York and Studio Gang of Chicago — were brought to San Francisco over nearly two years for series of workshops with local collaborators. They studied how to work with Mission Bay’s boxy “design controls” to deliver buildings that were functional, appealing and right for San Francisco.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc..._news_headline

Last edited by 1977; Oct 13, 2019 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:32 AM

hurrah! those look good! so looking forward to this addition to the area!

elsewhere...

the UCSF Psychiatry Center is solidly above its fence now

the UCSF housing has gotten a bit more color, and tilework at the sidewalk

looks like they are at least partially occupied; saw people entering

the work on the Bayfront Park

and looking toward Mission Rock

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
hurrah! those look good! so looking forward to this addition to the area!
Like most San Franciscans, I'd prefer orange stucco with bay windows and nothing over 4 floors PLEASE (and definitely not too much glass which, it has been determined in the Mission, makes a building look "rich")!

. . .

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:48 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Like most San Franciscans, I'd prefer orange stucco with bay windows and nothing over 4 floors PLEASE (and definitely not too much glass which, it has been determined in the Mission, makes a building look "rich")!

. . .
Huh? Sarcasm?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:36 AM

A more recent shot showing downtown south to Mission Bay, the new park in front of Chase, Crane Cove Park, and Pier 70 in the foreground.

DJI_0986-HDR.jpg by Droneshot, on Flickr

Droneshot just posted a bunch of new aerials of Mission Bay and its surroundings.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Huh? Sarcasm?
Can one no longer depend even on smileys. Yes . . . sarcasm.

I love that building with the greenery sticking out of random corners if it comes out looking like the rendering, but any "living" aspect of a design is going to require propper care by gardeners forever to work and I do seriously question whether that will happen.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:12 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Can one no longer depend even on smileys. Yes . . . sarcasm.

I love that building with the greenery sticking out of random corners if it comes out looking like the rendering, but any "living" aspect of a design is going to require propper care by gardeners forever to work and I do seriously question whether that will happen.
Proper care like the lawns and beds that round out every street corner, boulevards, and industrial complexes? It's not out of the ordinary to think that there's plenty of opportunity to make plant care work.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:

Droneshot just posted a bunch of new aerials of Mission Bay and its surroundings.
whoa, those are great, thank you! I might steal a couple for the Pier 70 thread - they give a great (literal) overview of the site

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Proper care like the lawns and beds that round out every street corner, boulevards, and industrial complexes? It's not out of the ordinary to think that there's plenty of opportunity to make plant care work.
Look at all the turned off fountains and deteriorating public amenities in SF. My reference point is the state office building on Van Ness--they just let the plantings there die during a recent drought and never replaced them. SF as a city is always chronically short of gardeners for public parks. There are a few reasonably maintained plantings around town such as at Yerba Buena Gardens; all cared for by specific organizations like the board that governs Moscone/Yerba Buena. Salesforce Transit Center's rooftop park is still too new a feature to see how it will fare but there's hope because its care is also an important feature of the building and would embarrass the company whose name adorns it if neglected.

I live in a condo that has considerable plantings and we spend a lot of money on them, but especially when there's mandated water cut-backs due to drought or other issues, there's a constant temptation to cut back that budget item or just neglect it. And it's one of those things where you can't skimp even one year because once all the plantings die (or are not maintained and replaced when necessary), it becomes more and more expensive to restore everything. That will always be a temptation for a budget-minded owner as the building ages.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:47 AM

MB Ferry Landing update

Quote:
The Port of San Francisco is about to officially solicit bids to start dredging the Bay and build San Francisco’s future Mission Bay Ferry Landing near the intersection of Terry A. Francois Boulevard and 16th Street, cater-corner to the new Chase Center and adjacent to the future Bayfront Park.

... isn’t likely to be operational before the fourth quarter of 2021, at the earliest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development