HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
What exactly are the arguments from opponents of charger installations? Might as well get in now while the government covers part of the cost.
People are incredibly cheap and short sighted.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:50 PM
你的媽媽

Been seeing more and more Vinfasts around. Anyone else starting to see them as well?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:53 PM
你的媽媽

Here's a white one:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:15 PM

I'm in Vancouver (EV HQ of Canada ) and haven't seen any.

I did see a Lucid Air though.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

One thing about managing charging stops on longer trips out of town: pressure from impatient passengers who say "can we go now, surely we have enough!". And if you give in to them, you may end up having to stop again whereas with 5 minutes more charging you would have easily made it to your destination.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:42 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One thing about managing charging stops on longer trips out of town: pressure from impatient passengers who say "can we go now, surely we have enough!". And if you give in to them, you may end up having to stop again whereas with 5 minutes more charging you would have easily made it to your destination.
Probably just need to build more retail and dining and entertainment around rest stops like the Autogrills in Italy, where you can stop for 30+ min and charge while grabbing lunch, stretching your legs, do some quick souvenir shopping, or play at the arcade.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Probably just need to build more retail and dining and entertainment around rest stops like the Autogrills in Italy, where you can stop for 30+ min and charge while grabbing lunch, stretching your legs, do some quick souvenir shopping, or play at the arcade.
Depends how fast the charging is. I often have trouble running to DQ, ordering, scarfing the food down, before I need to disconnect the charger (paying per minute).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Depends how fast the charging is. I often have trouble running to DQ, ordering, scarfing the food down, before I need to disconnect the charger (paying per minute).
Maybe something like a Sonic Drive In style rest stop could work in that case where you just drive up to a space, order your food and eat in or next to your car while it charges. Once it’s done charging you could park your car nearby and finish your meal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe something like a Sonic Drive In style rest stop could work in that case where you just drive up to a space, order your food and eat in or next to your car while it charges. Once it’s done charging you could park your car nearby and finish your meal.
Some kind of concept will work. "Fast" food should be ideal. You need to there longer than going into your typical gas station to buy a bag of chips and a slurpee, but not really sit down meal length.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I'm in Vancouver (EV HQ of Canada ) and haven't seen any.

I did see a Lucid Air though.
The biggest EV market in Canada is Quebec, not BC. BC is third after Ontario.

But I have not seen any Vinfast on the road here as well.

The number of Teslas on the road though has increased A LOT. Happy owner of a MY 2022 for about 6 months . Best car I have ever had.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:34 PM
Volatile Pacivist

It can be hard to find an ideal charging time since gassing ICE cars can actually be too quick or too infrequent in some cases. It's common for driver fatigue to be a contributing factor in accidents since experts seem to recommend a rest stop every couple of hours. Yet ICE vehicles can drive on the highway for far longer than that and refill really quickly. And even for passengers, it's also not that great to be in the same position for hours on end, and you can't really get up for a moment to stretch your legs without stopping like you can on a train or a plane.

In my experience with ICE cars, I've had passengers get annoyed on long trips when i wanted to stop and rest my eyes because I felt a touch of drowsiness setting in, but in a car with a nearly 1000km highway range, I didn't really have a good excuse. Well, beyond not wanting to die. But with someone who has never driven that's hard for them to understand.

I think to some degree it's just a matter of accepting the new reality. People scrutinize the new and different and complain about the downsides while they just accept things they're accustomed at face value since it's just "the way things are".

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:05 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post

The number of Teslas on the road though has increased A LOT. Happy owner of a MY 2022 for about 6 months . Best car I have ever had.

Maybe it's changed since, but one year ago I was reading articles which said otherwise. I haven't seen any Vinfast in Vancouver, but I've seen Polestars, and I've seen the Lucid store on Georgia St. many times.

Quote:
B.C. tops Quebec and California as EV capital of North America
In B.C., the rate of electric vehicle sales once again leads all other Canadian provinces and all U.S. states, according to a new government report.
https://biv.com/article/2022/04/bc-t...-north-america

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:

Did I say BC? I didn't.

Vancouver is highest per capita in the country.

But BC is more lately anyway:

Quote:
In the first quarter, 93.1% of new ZEVs registered were in Canada's three largest provinces. British Columbia had the highest proportion of new ZEV registrations, representing 15.5% of all new motor vehicle registrations in the province. Quebec had the most new ZEVs registered (10,399), comprising 12.7% of all new registrations in the province. Registrations of new ZEVs more than doubled (+114.0%) in Ontario from the first quarter of 2021 to the same quarter in 2022. During this same period, new ZEV registrations increased 50.7% in Quebec and were up 9.6% in British Columbia.
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...20721d-eng.htm

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:34 PM

I'm talking volume (number of EV sales/registrations), you guys are talking about "per capita"... Biggest EV markets in Canada are 1) Quebec, 2) Ontario, and 3) BC, in that decreasing order.

While Vancouver has a higher proportion of EVs per capita (22.5%), Montreal with 16% has more EVs on the road due to having just may more cars due to higher population.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/02/...sales-q4-2022/

When a company is looking to sell a product in a market, they are more interested in the number of units in total that they can sell than the number of units that they can sell per capita. Quebec and Ontario are considered bigger market than BC in Canada for EV manufacturers. But that doesn't mean than BC is not important, third biggest is big.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I'm talking volume (number of EV sales/registrations), you guys are talking about "per capita"... Biggest EV markets in Canada are 1) Quebec, 2) Ontario, and 3) BC, in that decreasing order.

While Vancouver has a higher proportion of EVs per capita (22.5%), Montreal with 16% has more EVs on the road due to having just may more cars due to higher population.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/02/...sales-q4-2022/
Per capita is the only reasonable metric for Canada, unless you live in Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Per capita is the only reasonable metric for Canada, unless you live in Toronto.
lol... not sure you will find a lot of "per capita" fans here on ssp.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:54 PM
你的媽媽

How do y'all like the new Model 3 front end?

https://insideevs.com/news/662163/te...egedly-leaked/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:52 AM
recession proof

^Unless it comes with a chrome grill and landau roof with whitewall tires, I ain't buying. Give me some woodie trim and chrome around the windows, real gauges and rotary knob HVAC controls.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
How do y'all like the new Model 3 front end?

https://insideevs.com/news/662163/te...egedly-leaked/
Looks like a worn bar of soap?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Been seeing more and more Vinfasts around. Anyone else starting to see them as well?

Manufacturer plates. Test vehicle?

Nice colour. It's good to see some non grey/silver, white, black vehicles on the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada