HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 3:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Thanks. I can't believe a developer would choose to not capitalize on the location and views of the park/State/Rush scene. It is beyond me...
Like, really though. Ugh, they should build a super-tall here.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 6:52 PM
BANNED

8/5

Doughnut hole shop is now just a hole.

Wrigley Field steel going up.

Sorry for poor quality. Snapped these while bicycling past.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 7:03 PM

They started tearing up the asphalt for the Lyfe Kitchen development on State and Erie.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 12:44 AM
dream fast

7/24 ^ Caretaker cottage back in place.

Last edited by george; Aug 7, 2015 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 7:48 PM

The corner of Chicago and Main in Evanston, which has been a giant grassy field adjacent to the Purple Line stop for years, is now a big hole with the beginnings of a foundation. There was a placard posted on the fencing that appeared to show a 6-8 story midrise--I couldn't get a great look at it from across the street. But that would be in keeping with what Evanston's been approving for the rest of the Chicago Ave. corridor in the last several years.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 7:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's a long-planned 9 story mixed use building finally going up there.

ground floor retail + 1 floor office + 7 floors of residential.

source: http://evanstonnow.com/story/governm...9m-in-city-aid

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 8:01 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^That's a GREC-designed building - I remember seeing early design iterations when I revisited their office about a year ago. Overall, I think it's quite nice:

http://www.grecstudio.com/projects/chicago-main.html

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 10:18 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Oh holy shit, I completely forgot about this: saw this photo from someone over at SSC, looks like the Navy Pier Reno is almost complete, at least for Phase 1...? This has seemingly flown under the radar..

Photo by erocketship7 https://www.flickr.com/photos/erocke...006838/sizes/l

Last edited by sentinel; Aug 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 10:28 PM
MPLSXCHI

Wait when did you become a mod congrats.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 10:36 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Wait when did you become a mod congrats.
Thank you

Also, I will be updating the high rise thread tomorrow, and I was wondering: would folks like this thread to be updated as well? The Gen Development thread is a little trickier, being a catch all for a variety of smaller, non highrise projects, but I would be happy to update page 1 and show projects by type (residential, commercial, educational, religious, etc), as needed. Thoughts?

Last edited by sentinel; Aug 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 4:22 AM

Saks Off Fifth is opening in the old Office Depot space on State Street.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ign=SocialFlow

I had heard they were negotiating a State Street lease but hoped it was for the old Sears. It's such a prominent space and I hate to see it sit vacant.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 5:28 PM

Well the new space sounds perfect for Off 5th though. They are generally looking for somewhat big box / windowless type of stores where they can put up walls of merchandise. Kind of like the warehouse type of retail you see with DSW or Nordstrom rack. The Office Depot space was big. It's pretty much the whole basement of that building plus the street level entrance which will be used for featured items.

I would be disappointed if they picked the old Sears. Something more flagship needs to go there that wouldn't be some discount retail prototype jammed into a historic building on a commanding corner.

Btw. I didn't know the gap store on michigan was getting a full remodel. Saw it last week. Wish the outside could get a total redo.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well the new space sounds perfect for Off 5th though. They are generally looking for somewhat big box / windowless type of stores where they can put up walls of merchandise. Kind of like the warehouse type of retail you see with DSW or Nordstrom rack. The Office Depot space was big. It's pretty much the whole basement of that building plus the street level entrance which will be used for featured items.

I would be disappointed if they picked the old Sears. Something more flagship needs to go there that wouldn't be some discount retail prototype jammed into a historic building on a commanding corner.

Btw. I didn't know the gap store on michigan was getting a full remodel. Saw it last week. Wish the outside could get a total redo.
I'm most excited about Jordan's Flight 23 store coming into the old Forever 21 space on 34 S State. Will be great to have a new store so emblematic of Chicago's global brand right there on State: http://www.nicekicks.com/2014/10/09/...store-chicago/

The article says it was supposed to open in June but still seems to have a long way to go...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

There a few major rehabs going on on Michigan Ave. Uniqlo seems to be making some major alterations to its building. H&M also had plywood up covering the whole facade. Hopefully that building will look totally different. If someone could find renders please post. Gucci is under wraps, too. I wonder if they can/will change the facade of its 900 N Michigan space.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Thank you

Also, I will be updating the high rise thread tomorrow, and I was wondering: would folks like this thread to be updated as well? The Gen Development thread is a little trickier, being a catch all for a variety of smaller, non highrise projects, but I would be happy to update page 1 and show projects by type (residential, commercial, educational, religious, etc), as needed. Thoughts?
That would be awesome, but certainly is quite the task to keep updated.

The great thing about the high-rise thread is that page 1 has evolved into an archive tallying up all major construction of the last 15 years. I love the fact that I can view at a glance the cumulative total of downtown's development scene since the boom started in 1999. I could see the same thing happening for the gen developments thread; perhaps categorization by side: North, South, West and then by community area. Projects listed on page 1 moving through stages of proposed to site prep/construction to recently completed as time goes on. With so much happening on the north side alone, should it perhaps be split into its own thread?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 12:21 AM

Bike and BRT lines

Washington
July 7

Aug 7

Roosevelt
July 19

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 12:54 AM
TL;DR

New Zurich HQ, Schaumburg

This is looking really cool.

Last edited by sentinel; Aug 10, 2015 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 12:57 AM

Wow that's impressive. Too bad they are building it in the suburbs where it will likely become a boat anchor white elephant in 40 years or less and be demolished.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 1:26 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
That would be awesome, but certainly is quite the task to keep updated.

The great thing about the high-rise thread is that page 1 has evolved into an archive tallying up all major construction of the last 15 years. I love the fact that I can view at a glance the cumulative total of downtown's development scene since the boom started in 1999. I could see the same thing happening for the gen developments thread; perhaps categorization by side: North, South, West and then by community area. Projects listed on page 1 moving through stages of proposed to site prep/construction to recently completed as time goes on. With so much happening on the north side alone, should it perhaps be split into its own thread?
Yeah, I have to think about this one a little more since it's somewhat more complex.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 2:33 AM

Riverwalk - Phase II

Drop off

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development