HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Doesn't give me any sense of consolation, but I think of the WC as a nothing tournament anyway. I don't feel any upbeat feelings if Canada wins gold, and I don't feel any sense of doom if we don't even medal.
I'm the same way. I don't really care for it but it's funny how a team can go that long without making even so much as a final. It's actually worse for the US since there's so very few contending teams that it's mind boggling they can't even make a final.

The Leafs lost to a team that is now going to their second finals in their 30 year existence. Meanwhile, after well over 50 years, the Leafs can't make a final. Not as bad as that US stat, but still pretty awful.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 2:59 AM
Community Guy

Vegas owns big D and finds itself in the final.

Curious to see if Florida's momentum is deflated with the time off.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Sure hope so, really don’t want Tkachuk winning a cup first year out from the trade!

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 3:28 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

Wondering the same thing, seems like such a long layoff for them.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 3:49 AM

Quote:

If a tree falls in the forest...

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:52 PM

Senators still haven't sold. I'd like people's take on this, a four minute video Sportsnet's Kyper & Bourne talking about the sale. Kyper is involved with one of the groups bidding on the team.

Video Link

And could anyone provide some info on Nick Kyper? I know he played in the NHL in the 80s and 90s as an enforcer. I know he's a sports broadcaster today, but do we know if he's a generally good person? Does he care? Is he reasonable? As a player, was he a jackass enforcer or one who was there to defend his teammates? Don't know if I'm asking the right questions.

I've seen a lot of different takes online. Some people seem to like him, speak to his generosity and think he would make a good partner for the Sens, others don't want him anywhere near the team, without providing any sort of explanation.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:17 PM

His name is Nick Kypreos, his nickname is Kyper. He retired early from concussions in the late 90s and joined Sportsnet when it launched (under CTV at the time). He has a mid day radio show on the Fan590 in Toronto. Stanley Cup winner with the Rangers. I think he has a decent hockey mind, I wouldn't say he's GM material or anything like that though. But of the many players on sports media, I liked him more than most. He's just playing a consultant role with the Apostolopoulos bid, he's not rich enough to be an equity guy. I doubt he would have a major role other than as a VP of hockey operations type thing, not a GM, if he is even in this for a job with the club. I'm certainly not concerned at his involvement in the bid.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:20 PM

The main outlets started reporting shortly before noon that the Leafs have hired Brad Treliving as GM, and that he is en route to Toronto for a press conference Thursday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...ing-as-new-gm/

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:35 PM

And the Leafs themselves confirming it.

https://www.nhl.com/news/brad-treliv...fs/c-344664964

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
His name is Nick Kypreos, his nickname is Kyper. He retired early from concussions in the late 90s and joined Sportsnet when it launched (under CTV at the time). He has a mid day radio show on the Fan590 in Toronto. Stanley Cup winner with the Rangers. I think he has a decent hockey mind, I wouldn't say he's GM material or anything like that though. But of the many players on sports media, I liked him more than most. He's just playing a consultant role with the Apostolopoulos bid, he's not rich enough to be an equity guy. I doubt he would have a major role other than as a VP of hockey operations type thing, not a GM, if he is even in this for a job with the club. I'm certainly not concerned at his involvement in the bid.
Thanks for that. Based on what I've heard so far, I'm not too concerned with Kypreos. Just wondering why he would advise Apostolopoulos, who I believe is not in this for the right reasons. Sketchy people attract sketchy people. If Kypreos is behind the guy as an advisor, maybe he sees something we don't, or he's too naïve to see Apostolopoulos has bad intentions, or he'll do anything for a quick buck (and many current and NHL players seem to do that, like selling their soul to appear in gambling ads).

For those who don't know, Apostolopoulos discussed buying the Charlotte Hornets NBA team from Michael Jordan at some point not long ago. While he was kicking the tires on the Ottawa Senators, he bid $6 Billion on the NFL's Washington Commanders, and that was days before bids were due for the Sens. So it seems he wants to buy a sports team, any sports team, and the NHL/Sens would be a consolation prize.

Based on his bid for the Commanders, it seems he is probably the highest bidder on the Sens. Don't know what the hold up is on the sale. The Sparks group is all over the place adding famous people left and right and apparently still trying to find the funding to buy the team. We have Apostolopoulos, probably putting in the largest bid, but likely not having any vision for the team or the league. The assumption is that the NHL is trying to make the numbers work with the Kimels (former part owners of the Penguins) and/or Andlauer (part owner of the Canadiens).

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:43 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
And the Leafs themselves confirming it.

https://www.nhl.com/news/brad-treliv...fs/c-344664964
Matthews going to leave as UFA.

Marner traded to the Rags and wins a cup.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:53 PM

I don't know, seems like a lot of assumption in that. If I had the wherewithal to pursue NBA or NFL ownership, I probably would too, before setting my sights on the NHL.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
I don't know, seems like a lot of assumption in that. If I had the wherewithal to pursue NBA or NFL ownership, I probably would too, before setting my sights on the NHL.
For sure, I and a lot of other Sens fans and Sports media have a lot of assumptions. That's all w have to go on.

If I was the NHL, I would rather pick an owner who has passion for the sport and the league and wants to own an NHL team, not one who'll buy an NHL team because he was turned down by the NBA and NFL. Not only is this someone not committed, but you have to wonder why the NBA and NFL decided against his interest.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:37 PM
Community Guy

Dubas to Pittsburg.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Dubas to Pittsburg.
And Dubas is going as President, not even GM, so I imagine he will have a GM search to undertake as well. Wonder if Toronto put any draft restrictions on him like Calgary did with Treliving. Not sure how many restrictions BT has as Shanahan wouldn't go into them in the presser, but it came out after Brad isn't allowed to sit at the draft table. Unsure yet if this extends to being on site at all in the arena, as this only came out 15 minutes or so ago.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:41 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Brad isn't allowed to sit at the draft table. Unsure yet if this extends to being on site at all in the arena, as this only came out 15 minutes or so ago.
Treliving would have had access to Calgary's draft plans, so not really fair for him to be a part of Toronto's draft plans.

Pretty sure the Leafs got the same deal with Lou when he went to the Isles.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 10:30 PM

Sportsnet reporting Mike Babcock will be named Blue Jackets coach after July 1 when his contract with Toronto is expired.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 2:35 AM
Community Guy

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

5-1 and I cannot believe that I am doing this, but Tkachuk getting a 10 minute for a relatively clean hit is a joke (not excusing his earlier shit). Two mins for roughing/charging, sure, but this NHL is becoming less and less one I want to watch.

Also, what the F was Eichel doing crouching down, leaving his feet in a flying sideways leap and then looking more discombobulated than a donkey on meth pre/post.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 2:47 AM

The Panthers go as Bobrovsky does - now that he's returned to his regular season self, they're not looking very good.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
The Panthers go as Bobrovsky does - now that he's returned to his regular season self, they're not looking very good.
Ya seems like it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada