HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I booked a trip to Cuba back in February for the first week in April (which was cancelled). I've got a credit valid for 2 years now. Hope I'll be able to use it next winter.
Same here, except we were supposed to go to Puerto Vallarta in May. We have been to Cuba 4 times in the past 18 months and we’re looking forward to going to Mexico for a change. Was hoping to maybe go later this year now if everything gets somewhat back to normal.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In the midst of planning a summer trip to the Gaspésie and the Maritimes with our best friends (who have kids of compatible ages).

It may all fall apart if it turns out not much will be open at that time.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:35 PM

^ I'm still down with going to the Maritimes even if a lot of things are closed. At this point I just need a break even if I just sit on a deck or on a beach... this situation exploded right before I was supposed to go on vacation. This was the first time we were going to do a spring break trip on the actual school spring break which was a mistake in hindsight

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Newfoundland and Labrador's Minister of Health said yesterday "If you're coming from away, best stay away". Today the province announced the only people permitted entry are those whose primary residence is in the province, or those who have permission in advance from the Chief Medical Officer of Health (including exemptions to her orders, such as first responders). We're going the island fortress route - making sure it's not here, and then not letting anyone in.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:53 PM

Is Saint Pierre & Miquelon allowing Canadians to enter?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They've gone back and forth in recent weeks. My guess is it's not exactly a time you'd be welcome, but their website hasn't been updated:

http://www.spm-tourisme.fr/1/practic...ore-your-stay/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 10:06 PM

I hear Milton is nice this time of year...the best parts are those as seen from the 401

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I hear Milton is nice this time of year...the best parts are those as seen from the 401
To be fair, when I was a kid I was fascinated by the prison bordering the highway. Was always disappointed when the yard never had people in black and white jumpsuits taking a pickace to a giant boulder or whatever it was prisoners were supposed to do.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oddly, Denscity was the first person inside my house after I bought it I forget what year that was, maybe 2013.
Ya great times Sig! Pro tourist treatment.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
I've been to BC. And even though it's a nice place, it's certainly not "The Best Place on Earth", despite how much you want me to believe that it is.
I dont care what you think of my province either way. The way BC dominated the "what province would you move to..." thread is more than enough for me.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:04 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I dont care what you think of my province either way. The way BC dominated the "what province would you move to..." thread is more than enough for me.
You could certainly pick a lot worse places to visit than BC.

I love road tripping in BC. So much to see and do. We had planned on a road trip there this summer, but probably won't be happening now.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:07 AM

Cool drew and too bad.
So far business owners in small BC touristy places are saying stay away.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Best Place on Earth!!

dynamicmedia

^reminds me of a slinky going down the stairs.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I was thinking about heading over to Okotoks. I heard there are a number of things to do in Okotoks. Has it been amalgamated into Calgary's CMA yet, or is Statistics Canada still doing the hate-on?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 1:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Newfoundland and Labrador's Minister of Health said yesterday "If you're coming from away, best stay away". Today the province announced the only people permitted entry are those whose primary residence is in the province, or those who have permission in advance from the Chief Medical Officer of Health (including exemptions to her orders, such as first responders). We're going the island fortress route - making sure it's not here, and then not letting anyone in.
Not long ago, in March, maybe even April, the NL tourism ads were all over CBC, at a time when I fully expected this reaction to happen. This would be understandably complex to control because you have to define by nuance who exactly is a tourist? Newfoundland cannot afford to take these decisions lightly, since much of the province's economy is dependent upon tourism. This is one year that local tourism will be encouraged, but keeping things like social distancing measures in mind.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 30, 2020 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 3:05 AM
recession proof

Old downtown Milton is nice as is the rural areas: I like driving down Appleby Line and up Guelph Line. Possibly the worst road to see Ontario from is the 401. I'd rather take 3 hours to get from Toronto to KW than 1.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Old downtown Milton is nice as is the rural areas: I like driving down Appleby Line and up Guelph Line. Possibly the worst road to see Ontario from is the 401. I'd rather take 3 hours to get from Toronto to KW than 1.
Never been to downtown Milton. Only Rattlesnake Point, etc. Looks pretty okay - I'll check it out next time, though it probably doesn't qualify as a vacation destination.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:18 AM

Does the Milton/Hamilton thing ever cause confusion? They're fairly close and I could easily see stuff getting sent to one or the other by accident due to typos/miscommunication.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 6:32 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Does the Milton/Hamilton thing ever cause confusion? They're fairly close and I could easily see stuff getting sent to one or the other by accident due to typos/miscommunication.
No, postal codes would take care of any mailing issues. And when you think about it, they don't sound alike and they're not close to being spelled alike. Nobody confuses a two-syllable word and a three-syllable word, especially when they begin with very different sounds; and nobody mixes up their Ms and Hs when writing things, especially when those letters come at the beginning of words.

Owing to the distance between them, Milton being in Toronto's orbit, and the fact that all roads lead to Toronto, there's essentially little to no relationship between Hamilton and Milton. I can tell you as a native of Hamilton this is the first time I've been confronted with the idea of there being any confusion between them, as it never would have occurred to me otherwise.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
To be fair, when I was a kid I was fascinated by the prison bordering the highway. Was always disappointed when the yard never had people in black and white jumpsuits taking a pickace to a giant boulder or whatever it was prisoners were supposed to do.
Same for me. When I was at U of Waterloo I always looked out the window in Milton at the jail hoping to see some rock breaking or at least a brawl between inmates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada