HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:50 PM

Location Of Proposed Potomac Yards Metro Station In Doubt

I seem to remember that Reagan airport and I-395 are both visible from the George Washington Parkway.

Location Of Proposed Potomac Yards Metro Station In Doubt

By: Michael Pope
April 25, 2014
WAMU

"The location of a proposed Metro station at Potomac Yard in Alexandria is now in doubt.

For years, city leaders have been planning to build a new Metro station on the Blue and Yellow lines between National Airport and the Braddock Road station. City planners have identified a site behind the Target store on Route One, although the National Park Service is raising concerns about that location violating a scenic easement because it's visible from the George Washington Parkway.

Now Deputy Alexandria City Manager Mark Jinks says moving the site to the east to address concerns would cost an additional $83 million and delay the project three years. But that's not all.

"I would suspect it's probably going to be north of $50 million in tax impacts, so we are going to be well over $100 million," he says..."

http://wamu.org/news/14/04/25/locati...ation_in_doubt

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:21 PM

Eightball

Lol!

Well, I'm voting for the home team (DC Streetcar) to open first! Hopefully they both open soon.

Suckers bet. They don't even have a maintenance facility for the streetcars built yet.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:20 PM
life is good

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...st.html?page=2
Quote:
Despite Barry's streetcar angst, the chronically delayed H Street line will open for passenger service, eventually. "When'' remains the critical question, but as we noted Tuesday, early fall appears to be the most likely time frame. DDOT is still waiting for the delivery of its sixth streetcar, expected by early June, and for work to be completed on the temporary car barn at Spingarn High School sometime in July...
That said, I can't say I disagree with you. So you can take the bet of the silver line, i'll take the streetcar! Just a friendly bet, of course.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 5:57 PM

Eightball

That said, I can't say I disagree with you. So you can take the bet of the silver line, i'll take the streetcar! Just a friendly bet, of course.

Came across an other story from the same web site:
D.C. to study extending streetcar to National Harbor
Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
Quote:
As for when the H Street/Benning line will carry its first passengers, early fall is looking like the best bet. DDOT officials told a council committee Tuesday that they hope to have functional testing underway by July, and the line ready for certification by August. The certification process can take up to 80 days, pushing the possible launch date to October.
The most pessimistic opening date reported for the Silver line line is sometime in late August.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 6:36 PM

Instead of spending $200M+ on a streetcar to National Harbor that would serve mostly one destination, MWCOG and other regional transportation entities should look at providing water-taxi/ferry service. The Virginia Dept. of Transportation recently found water taxi service would be feasible on some routes. Last week a private operator announced it is going to begin streetcar service from National Harbor to the Mall/Southwest DC.

Admittedly, I am not familiar with the economics of ferries/water taxis, but it would seem to be more cost-effective than extending the streetcar (more than a decade from now) four miles to National Harbor.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 4:03 AM

D.C. streetcar won't open until late summer or fall
Ari Ashe
05 02 2014, 8:22pm EDT
WTOP

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambron J View Post
D.C. streetcar won't open until late summer or fall
Ari Ashe
05 02 2014, 8:22pm EDT
WTOP
I support this investment in streetcars and it has led to a great amount of development along the H St corridor but it is very frustrating that this is now 2 1/2 years late.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...still-secured/

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:00 PM
TL;DR

I guess the positive thing is that all the new residents and businesses will push streetcar ridership through the roof from Day 1. Pity it only goes to Union Station though.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 1:32 PM

ardecila
I guess the positive thing is that all the new residents and businesses will push streetcar ridership through the roof from Day 1. Pity it only goes to Union Station though.

I tend to doubt that primarily because it goes no further west then Union Station.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:42 PM
life is good

New track issue a 'concern,' but Metro still aims for summer Silver Line opening

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...-aims-for.html

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:44 AM

Metro plans to take control of Silver Line next week
Lori Aratani and Paul Duggan,
Washington Post
05 19 2014 1255 EDT
Washington Post

Metro to take over the Silver Line in May
Michelle Murillo and Amanda Iacone
WTOP 103.5 FM
05 19 2014 1315 EDT

Boiling things down, here is what we got from WMATA today.

WMATA will take possession, provided everything goes right, of the N Route Silver line from Dulles Transit Partners no later then 05 27 2014. The 90 day clock will start ticking on that date placing the opening date, again provided everything goes right, no later then 08 23 2014.

I am betting the opening date will be Saturday 08 16 2014 (89 days from 05 27 2014). However if things go more smoothly, expected the opening date to be as soon as 07 26 2014.

An official opening date announcement from WMATA should made between 4 to 6 weeks from now.

Last edited by cambron J; May 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 4:57 PM
life is good

DC Streetcar Barn Construction

Update from today on the DC Streetcar Barn Construction
More pics here:
http://dcconstructionphotos.blogspot...struction.html

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:50 PM

Alexandria sights a 2018 opening of Metro station at growing Potomac Yard

Alexandria sights a 2018 opening of Metro station at growing Potomac Yard

"A model of one of four options proposed for a Potomac Yard Metro station. This view shows Station Alternative B-CSX, looking west from the George Washington Memorial Parkway." (Image courtesy of the Washington Post)

By Luz Lazo
May 24, 2014
Washington Post

"Two years behind schedule, Alexandria is aggressively pursuing the construction of a Metro station at Potomac Yard, anticipating an opening by late 2018.

The city is exploring four sites for a station on the Blue and Yellow lines between the Reagan National Airport and Braddock Road Metro stations. The project, after two decades of planning, is halfway through a required federal environmental review.

But as the project advances, there are increasing questions about how it will be paid for and how it will affect nearby residents, the overall development of Potomac Yard and the scenic views from the George Washington Memorial Parkway..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...5c0_story.html

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 10:26 PM

What are the scenic views they're trying to protect? If you're driving up the GW Pkwy, the view on the west side is nothing but overgrown trees/shrubbery. The Metro station would be on the other side of those trees and plants, so you'd barely be able to see it in the summer. In the winter when the trees are bare, sure it would likely be more visible, but there are buildings behind the proposed Metro station, so it just doesn't seem like a big deal. The view along that route is of the Potomac River on the east side of the parkway. This whole situation is ridiculous.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
What are the scenic views they're trying to protect? If you're driving up the GW Pkwy, the view on the west side is nothing but overgrown trees/shrubbery. The Metro station would be on the other side of those trees and plants, so you'd barely be able to see it in the summer. In the winter when the trees are bare, sure it would likely be more visible, but there are buildings behind the proposed Metro station, so it just doesn't seem like a big deal. The view along that route is of the Potomac River on the east side of the parkway. This whole situation is ridiculous.
Not to mention that I-395 and Reagan airport are both visible from the George Washington Parkway and I don't recall the National Park Service throwing a fit over either of these.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 11:34 PM
life is good

Metro takes control of Silver Line, service should start in 90 days:

http://dcist.com/2014/05/metro_has_t...f_the_silv.php

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
The problem, as I understand it, is that the Alternative B option places part of the station on land designated for Scenic Area easement. If the station footprint was just outside of the easement property line, it would be simpler to get a waiver if one is needed. But taking property designated by an agreement to be protected presents complicated legal issues. The map on page 4 of this May 15 viewgraph presentation shows the footprint locations of Alternatives A, B, D.

Earlier presentation from January which better explains the B-CSX option which is argubly the best if time and money were not a constraint. If not B-CSX, then Alternative B provides the best access from the development without having to build an expensive new segment of Metro tracks flying over the CSX tracks.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:13 AM
TL;DR

Why does Alt. A cost $195M without any significant track relocation? The tracks are at grade, too... this is nearly twice what the NoMa station cost, and that project included a whole new elevated structure.

Recent infill (elevated) stations in Chicago have come in at $38M and $50M. Granted, WMATA's platforms are about 40% longer, but that's way out of scale with the difference in cost.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:11 AM

Eightball
Metro takes control of Silver Line, service should start in 90 days:

Figure on an opening date no later then Saturday 08 23 2014.

afiggatt
The problem, as I understand it, is that the Alternative B option places part of the station on land designated for Scenic Area easement. If the station footprint was just outside of the easement property line, it would be simpler to get a waiver if one is needed. But taking property designated by an agreement to be protected presents complicated legal issues. The map on page 4 of this May 15 viewgraph presentation shows the footprint locations of Alternatives A, B, D.

Get the waver. Build a berm on the east side of the station that is roughly 4' higher then the platform. Plant a verity of both conifers and deciduous trees on the berm that are similar to what is there today. 25 years after the planting of the trees one will be unable to see the station from the Parkway regardless of what time of the year it is.

Last edited by cambron J; May 28, 2014 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Why does Alt. A cost $195M without any significant track relocation? The tracks are at grade, too... this is nearly twice what the NoMa station cost, and that project included a whole new elevated structure.

Recent infill (elevated) stations in Chicago have come in at $38M and $50M. Granted, WMATA's platforms are about 40% longer, but that's way out of scale with the difference in cost.
I would think higher labor and land costs would explain part of the difference. Also, I don't know when construction began on the Chicago infill stations but if it was 2012 and construction begins on the Potomac Yard station in 2017, this is five years of inflation of construction materials.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation