HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
^^ Let's not start this up on this thread. Gun violence is not a Philly problem. It's an America problem. Philly leaders cannot solve this problem. Let's stop pretending they can. This isn't Krasner's fault. This isn't Kenney's fault. This is a nationwide problem that will most likely never be addressed properly.
Crime was actually going down in most cities up until a few years ago.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Crime was actually going down in most cities up until a few years ago.
Indeed. Those beating the “nationwide problem” drum need to ask what certain cities have in common. The great experiment in woke prosecution (or lack thereof) is having predictable results in multiple cities. Think what you want, but the buck stops with the mayor, the DA, and the police chief. In baseball terms: fire the manager(s) and see if that helps.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
We can go round and round with this but what you’ll likely see is more community meetings demanding more police presence. Other community message boards are already filled with posts of people freaking out about theft, car jackings, dirt bikes, smashed windows, lewd behavior etc etc. If you haven’t noticed there seems to be a cop on every corner lately. I suspect the next thing will be demanding more police intervention… and then we’re right back where we started in 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Indeed. Those beating the “nationwide problem” drum need to ask what certain cities have in common. The great experiment in woke prosecution (or lack thereof) is having predictable results in multiple cities. Think what you want, but the buck stops with the mayor, the DA, and the police chief. In baseball terms: fire the manager(s) and see if that helps.
None of the major changes to police strategy pushed for by black lives matter have been implemented in the Philadelphia since 2020. Their funding was never cut: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2021/...defund-police/

There's no going back to where things were in 2020. Nothing ever changed. We increased their funding as a matter of fact. And in a time of rising inequality and violence, the police have been as incredibly ineffective as they've ever been at preventing violence.

What is a cop even supposed to do in a situation like the tragedy like last night? A crowded intersection filled with people and multiple people start shooting at each other? Insert some cops into that situation to start throwing around some more bullets and while it would increase the likelihood we'd have one of the preparators either dead or behind bars, it's also incredibly likely that the increased fire would have led to more dead and injured civilians.

Even if you support the police, recent events across the country should have made things increasingly clear than in a world where America has more than one mass shooting a day, that the status quo is unsustainable. Serious gun control needs to finally happen in America. The correlation between the obscene number of guns in this country and how incredibly easy it is to acquire one and the amount of gun violence in this country as compared to other wealthy nations is beyond clear at this point. Anyone who claims to want to stop this type of gun violence and doesn't start that conversation at gun control is either disingenuous or misinformed. It's truly disgusting that Philadelphia isn't allowed to enact common sense gun laws to protect its citizens.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:41 PM

Oh come on. I thought we agreed to not interact. I didn’t even offer an opinion; just observations. And I didn’t read your reply; upholding our commitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
None of the major changes to police strategy pushed for by black lives matter have been implemented in the Philadelphia since 2020. Their funding was never cut: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2021/...defund-police/

There's no going back to where things were in 2020. Nothing ever changed. We increased their funding as a matter of fact. And in a time of rising inequality and violence, the police have been as incredibly ineffective as they've ever been at preventing violence.

What is a cop even supposed to do in a situation like the tragedy like last night? A crowded intersection filled with people and multiple people start shooting at each other? Insert some cops into that situation to start throwing around some more bullets and while it would increase the likelihood we'd have one of the preparators either dead or behind bars, it's also incredibly likely that the increased fire would have led to more dead and injured civilians.

Even if you support the police, recent events across the country should have made things increasingly clear than in a world where America has more than one mass shooting a day, that the status quo is unsustainable. Serious gun control needs to finally happen in America. The correlation between the obscene number of guns in this country and how incredibly easy it is to acquire one and the amount of gun violence in this country as compared to other wealthy nations is beyond clear at this point. Anyone who claims to want to stop this type of gun violence and doesn't start that conversation at gun control is either disingenuous or misinformed. It's truly disgusting that Philadelphia isn't allowed to enact common sense gun laws to protect its citizens.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Oh come on. I thought we agreed to not interact. I didn’t even offer an opinion; just observations. And I didn’t read your reply; upholding our commitment
Sorry. If you're gonna post implying the rise in crime in Philly is due to post 2020 police reform and defunding of the police that NEVER OCCURRED IN PHILADELPHIA then I'm gonna have to point that out to you. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a demonstrable fact that the police were not defunded in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
I’m done pointing out the causes; it won’t change anyone’s mind here frankly. Better to just observe the trends. Nothing will happen in Harrisburg in terms of legislation; as of yet the Governor hasn’t even commented on last night’s shooting. The crime situation in the city encompasses a lot more than guns anyways. People are outraged over a myriad of things lately.

There’s already a meeting scheduled by QVNA with Squilla and Outlaw to come up with “a plan” which probably will just mean more police presence, crowd control and intervention. Seems like a lot of people are complaining that the police just stood around and did nothing while things escalated. Going forward, I suspect prosecution rates will still remain low but residents will demand more cops on the street to feel “safe”. We’re already seeing that, but I suspect it will intensify. It’s a bit of an odd trade off and the implications of that will be interesting.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jun 5, 2022 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Sorry. If you're gonna post implying the rise in crime in Philly is due to post 2020 police reform and defunding of the police that NEVER OCCURRED IN PHILADELPHIA then I'm gonna have to point that out to you. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a demonstrable fact that the police were not defunded in Philadelphia.
That wasn’t my point or implication at all lol.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 6:59 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Ill tell you what we should do.

Bring back STOP & FRISK & Penalties for committing crimes, I dont know whats so hard about that but it needs to happen.

AS A PERSON OF COLOR IN THE CITY IM FOR IT.

I almost wish we had a Frank Rizzo instead of a Kenney real shit.

This is getting outrageous, I have to Carry when I go out to do my jobs now, no one should be in fear that they will get robbed or shot everyday.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:42 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
As far as making it easy on drivers, we live in a very dense northeast city, not a southern sprawling city with tons of highways. I think it's totally appropriate to expect the driving experience to be slow and tedious and nothing should be done to change that.
I know where you are going but idling cars are not good for the environment and there's benefits to having an efficient car transportation network along with other modes of transportation.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Ill tell you what we should do.

Bring back STOP & FRISK & Penalties for committing crimes, I dont know whats so hard about that but it needs to happen.

AS A PERSON OF COLOR IN THE CITY IM FOR IT.

I almost wish we had a Frank Rizzo instead of a Kenney real shit.

This is getting outrageous, I have to Carry when I go out to do my jobs now, no one should be in fear that they will get robbed or shot everyday.
Preach it. “Gun control” is always the answer for some. Look how that has helped major cities like New York and Chicago. Anyone who’s attempted to legally buy a gun knows that it is not ridiculously easy. It’s a cumbersome process, assuming there’s even anything worthwhile available at any given time.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Preach it. “Gun control” is always the answer for some. Look how that has helped major cities like New York and Chicago. Anyone who’s attempted to legally buy a gun knows that it is not ridiculously easy. It’s a cumbersome process, assuming there’s even anything worthwhile available at any given time.
I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this. If you think it's a "cumbersome process" to buy a gun in this country, then you're delirious. What exactly do you think the answer is then?... "I don't know" is not acceptable.

It's easier to obtain a gun license and a gun in this country than it is a driver's license and a car.... you don't see anything wrong with that?

Let me guess what your next response will be... but, but... the second amendment. You mean that amendment that was written over 200 years ago? Yeah, sure... that should still apply to our modern times.

NYC and Chicago enacting stricter gun laws is such a fucking cop out. Do you know how easy it is for anybody to drive outside of NYC and Chicago to buy guns and bring them back into the city? Do you know how easy it is to buy a gun in 90% of this country? Come on man, think with you're brain.

No other civilized, developed country in the world has these problems. Only America. Other countries have mental health issues. Other countries have people living in poverty and despair. What's the major difference? Those countries have gun control, and the US does not. It's that simple.

Gun reform and stricter gun laws is 100% the answer. Nobody should be able to buy weapons of war. Period. There's absolutely no reason for it. Crack down on illegal gun markets and illegal gun websites. Ban assault weapons. Ban extended magazines. Ban ghost guns. Make the "permit and training period" to buy a gun a year or more with mandatory gun knowledge tests, background checks, mental health tests and checks, shooting range training, etc. etc.... all at the expense of the want-to-be gun owner. Enact stop and frisk policies across the entire US. Make it mandatory to carry your gun license if you have a gun on you. Make it mandatory that everybody with a handgun and hunting riffle bring their guns in for registration and inventory immediately upon the law being enacted. Make it ILLEGAL to own any other gun. All other guns turned in immediately or you will face prison time. Make it mandatory to report to the police if your weapon is lost or stolen...etc. etc. There are so many things that can be done.

It's clear the general public in this country cannot be trusted with guns. What else do we need to see?

There are so many issues that need to be addressed that lead to gun violence.... but gun reform is a MUST and things need to change NOW... that will have the swiftest effects on gun violence in this country.

Last edited by summersm343; Jun 5, 2022 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 10:32 PM

We are starting to stray a bit past the point of civil debate here. Let’s take this over to the Politics Thread.

This is an important and nuanced issue and certainly is important to Philadelphia, but let’s try not to clog up the Lowrise thread with political discussion (unless it is specifically about a Lowrise development).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 11:15 PM

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jun 6, 2022 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
We are starting to stray a bit past the point of civil debate here. Let’s take this over to the Politics Thread.

This is an important and nuanced issue and certainly is important to Philadelphia, but let’s try not to clog up the Lowrise thread with political discussion (unless it is specifically about a Lowrise development).
Agreed. Thanks McGrath.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 11:47 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Agreed. Thanks McGrath.
I 100% agree with you summers buying a gun is extremely easy, I went and bought one and it took 30 mins.

Only thing you need is your ID and a clean background check.

I do believe we have the right to own guns though In order to protect and fend off a crazy government.

Other then that we need control & laws to be enforced.

Im done with this topic though im sick to my stomach.

Anyway summers any new projects today?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I know where you are going but idling cars are not good for the environment and there's benefits to having an efficient car transportation network along with other modes of transportation.
I would like cars not running every red light going 35 mph on local streets. It's awful crossing washington ave now. We don't need faster cars on any local street. Look at how awful Aramingo ave is. If you want good car roads Texas and Florida would be the better states for car only infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
building the city to make everyone drive everywhere creates a lot more emissions........

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Can the Politics Thread be moved here: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...g=philadelphia or is there another stupid rule that makes this forum more difficult to use? Is there something else I can bookmark that will show me all the Philly theads?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Can the Politics Thread be moved here: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...g=philadelphia or is there another stupid rule that makes this forum more difficult to use? Is there something else I can bookmark that will show me all the Philly theads?
100% Skyscraperpage is pretty archaic. It’s still somewhat of a mess in categorizing topics and threads. Feel like it probably hasn’t been updated since the mid 2000’s.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
100% Skyscraperpage is pretty archaic. It’s still somewhat of a mess in categorizing topics and threads. Feel like it probably hasn’t been updated since the mid 2000’s.
I’ve been here longer than most of you, I think since its inception- and it feels like NOTHING has ever changed or been updated. In fact, I’ve been on the web since I used the Mosaic browser in the early 90s.

This site always feels like taking a step back in time. It’s shameful how primitive it is, but I’m guessing there is no money or desire to change what it is, at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development