HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 10:20 AM

17 Year Cicada Thread

Was the cicada event impressive in your city? Out here in the west, we didn't have any. Any good cicada stories from back east? Is the swarm ending? How noisy were they? Did they get into houses? How did pets react?

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:26 AM

We have been staying at my in-laws in New York for much of the past year during COVID (they have provided much-appreciated baby-sitting help with our two young kids while we try to telework) so we missed the cicadas in DC. This makes me kind of sad, since our son will be in college the next time we see the buggers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:45 AM

We do not have them in Atlanta, luckily.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
We do not have them in Atlanta, luckily.
Aren’t you missing the melodious tube they chirp?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
We have been staying at my in-laws in New York for much of the past year during COVID (they have provided much-appreciated baby-sitting help with our two young kids while we try to telework) so we missed the cicadas in DC. This makes me kind of sad, since our son will be in college the next time we see the buggers.
There will be more of these before they're grown, but you may have to travel to see it. Also, if you like this cicada stuff, then you'll love fish fly season. Take your kids to one of the Great Lakes during late Spring. It'll look like a heavy snowfall except the flakes have wings and smell like dead fish.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:03 PM

Cincinnati is ground-zero, with the highest concentration of Brood X cicadas. We had another brood 2-3 years ago but it wasn't a big deal.

Brood X in the Cincinnati area is off-the-charts. It was so loud over the past weekend that my ears started ringing as if I had stuck my head in a jet engine. People avoided yard work because the things keep running into you and there is danger that you'll swallow one if you open your mouth.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Brood X is a non-event in chicagoland, though apparently some downstate counties are affected by it.

Brood XIII (the northern Illinois brood) is the big one in the chicago area, and it's said to be the largest known cicada emergence anywhere in the world. Their next scheduled appearance is summer of 2024.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Brood X is a non-event in chicagoland, though apparently some downstate counties are affected by it.

Brood XIII (the northern Illinois brood) is the big one in the chicago area, and it's said to be the largest known cicada emergence anywhere in the world. Their next scheduled appearance is summer of 2024.
The first time I ever heard of cicadas was in the summer of 1990. The year 2024 will be 34 years after 1990, or 2 17 year cycles, so this must be the same one.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 4:39 PM

The brood maps are really interesting. Their ranges roughly follow different phases of the most recent ice age. That helps explain why there are so many 100+ mile gaps in today's brood zones.

While driving last week from Kansas to Ohio, I was met by a sudden wall of screeching somewhere west of Indianapolis. A very robust colony of cicadas - large enough to be heard above expressway traffic - was living in the small clusters of trees near the highway. If a few hundred thousand can keep going in those small clusters there must be many other isolated populations out there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 4:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The first time I ever heard of cicadas was in the summer of 1990. The year 2024 will be 34 years after 1990, or 2 17 year cycles, so this must be the same one.
Yep, 1990 was the last Brood XIII emergence that I vividly remember. I was a kid growing up in the leafy old-growth-tree burbs of the north shore and the cicadas were RIDICULOUS up there. I have the distinct memory of my dad using a snow shovel to clear the cicada carcasses off of our sidewalks.

When they returned in 2007, I was living downtown in River North, and there weren't many cicadas around in that world of pavement and buildings, so I more or less missed out on it.

Now that we're in a very leafy northside neighborhood, I'll be interested to see what the emergence is like around here in 2024.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 5:09 PM

The sound of katydids in the evening announces the arrival of Texas heat.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep, 1990 was the last Brood XIII emergence that I vividly remember. I was a kid growing up in the leafy old-growth-tree burbs of the north shore and the cicadas were RIDICULOUS up there. I have the distinct memory of my dad using a snow shovel to clear the cicada carcasses off of our sidewalks.

When they returned in 2007, I was living downtown in River North, and there weren't many cicadas around in that world of pavement and buildings, so I more or less missed out on it.

Now that we're in a very leafy northside neighborhood, I'll be interested to see what the emergence is like around here in 2024.
How are these different that the Locust/Cicadas/whatever-they-are, that are humming in Chicago every other summer?

Edit: Wikipedia answered my question

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 5:39 PM
Meh

I haven't heard any in Austin. Not a single one yet. We usually don't start to until September.

I remember some years when I was a kid them being quite loud when I was outside playing to the point that they were unpleasant. Our neighborhood has a huge live oak tree canopy, so we have bugs. I could have become an entomologist just from what I played with when I was a boy. I haven't seen or heard any, yet, though. Plenty of June bugs and lightning bugs, and lots of toads and crickets.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 7:01 PM

Not a peep in northern suburbs of Buffalo. Not sure if its a thing here. I know DC area and southern Ohio is being overwhelmed with cicada.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 7:36 PM

There are some cicadas here in northern Delaware. I actually heard a bunch of them last week, but not many this week so far. They also sound different than what I am used to. I don't know if there are different types of cicadas, or if what I thought were cicadas are actually something else.

The cicadas are apparently all over the place in central Pennsylvania.

The cicadas are also actually showing up on radar in the DC area.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I grew up in the MD suburbs of DC and remember them from when I was in 1st grade or thereabouts. They emerged right around the end of the school year and I have vivid memories of hanging out in the school yard amid piles of them waiting for the day to end on the last day of school before summer recess.

PS: I don't know why people from Florida (my inlaws) to California expect these things. I think they are essentially an inhabitant of the mid-Atlantic states. They certainly don't live everywhere in the country just like Florida's love bugs of the north's deer ticks don't.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 8:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I think they are essentially an inhabitant of the mid-Atlantic states.
Various broods of 13 and 17 year periodic cicadas can be found across a pretty large swath of the eastern half of the nation.

Source: wikipedia

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 4:50 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ yep, i've now experienced the Broodening in both St. Louis and central VA. love the sound in the trees, hate the crunch on the ground and the splat on the windshield.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Thank god they're staggered. What would it be like if they all woke up (hatched?) on the same summer?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ 2024 should be interesting in the central midwest with the 17-year Brood XIII in northern illinois syncing up with the 13-year Brood XIX in southern IL & MO.

that'll never happen again in any of our lifetimes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions