HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:24 PM

Yeah, the trade off of having speeding cars vs less traffic/slower traffic but loud bumps all the time is definitely worth it (I just wouldn't want to live directly next to it).

I looked up a street near Lincoln Square (Fremont St south of Armitage Ave) since I still couldn't believe a city would put speed bumps in the road (I don't think it's actually "legal"), and they are in fact speed humps. Maybe your street has something different?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:28 PM
E pluribus unum

Haven't residential streets in Willo and Encanto gotten speed bumps within the last decade or so to discourage speeding? I was guilty of using neighborhood streets to avoid the main roads when I worked in Midtown Phoenix (a bad habit I picked up from living in Southern California) and don't remember there being speed bumps back then. Hell, I think Third Avenue has a roundabout south of Thomas...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yeah, the trade off of having speeding cars vs less traffic/slower traffic but loud bumps all the time is definitely worth it (I just wouldn't want to live directly next to it).

I looked up a street near Lincoln Square (Fremont St south of Armitage Ave) since I still couldn't believe a city would put speed bumps in the road (I don't think it's actually "legal"), and they are in fact speed humps. Maybe your street has something different?
i'm not well versed in the nuances of bumps vs. humps.

what chicago puts on thousands of its side streets (including ours) are tall mounds of asphalt that you need to slow down to about 5 -10 mph to safely pass over, otherwise you risk damage to your car. people here just call them "speed bumps", but maybe everyone is using a technically incorrect term?

they're marvelous for keeping d-bag drivers off the side-streets, or at the very least they keep the d-bag drivers from being able to drive like d-bags.

i freaking love 'em!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 11, 2021 at 5:13 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions