HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Just curious Denver forumites,
How many highrises 10+ stories are under construction in Denver?
It seems we’ve lost track. 5 or 10 years ago some of us geeks could have probably come up with an accurate estimate. Denverinfill was regularly updated back then (which was obviously very laborious so I can only be grateful it lasted as long as it did.)

It seems we’ve also gotten spoiled. Some of the projects under construction right now would have excited us 5 or 10 years ago, but now we’re just taking them for granted. If I didn’t know any better, I would say there’s a new precedent in this town for higher quality architecture with higher quality facade materials.

On a recent drive from where I work on the north side of town, to the Guitar Center in Glendale, I attempted to conduct an informal crane census and lost count at around 20.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:25 AM

Here is my count based on recent observations:
Lohi/Riverfront Park
(2) One Platte Office
Union Station
None - but 19th & Chestnut will have one soon
RiNo
(2) NOVEL RiNo
(1) Hines Multifamily on Brighton Blvd
Arapahoe Square
(1) X Denver 3
(1) CCH Renaissance Lofts
(1) Greystar 600 Park Ave
Golden Triangle
(1) Lennar 10th & Acoma
Capitol Hill
(1) Capitol Square Apartments

That’s 10, what am I missing? There might be one or two up by Denargo Market I can’t remember.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
That’s 10, what am I missing? There might be one or two up by Denargo Market I can’t remember.
This One is 13 stories.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Lohi/Riverfront Park
(2) One Platte Office
Union Station
RiNo
(2) NOVEL RiNo
Arapahoe Square
(1) X Denver 3
Golden Triangle
(1) Lennar 10th & Acoma
Capitol Hill

1 crane for a project on a Holden Pl in Sun Valley
1 crane for the 13th & Santa Fe Project

There are crane parts on site for the project at 10th & Santa Fe and 13th & Decatur.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:34 AM

Responding in red, but only to the neighborhoods you've named. There's cranes up all throughout the city, not just downtown-adjacent.

Quote:
Lohi/Riverfront Park we're pretty built-out here
(2) One Platte Office
Union Station
The Pullman just opened, and McGregor Square hasn't opened yet
RiNo
(2) NOVEL RiNo
Plus FoundryLine, Vib Hotel, Sage Hospitality, World Trade Center (maybe someday), Train Denver (moving faster), Edit, 35th and Wynkoop... and soon, the RTD lot and Giambrocco projects will get going
Arapahoe Square
(1) X Denver 3
There's also an X Denver 2 in this area, The Hooper up Welton, and 2215 California. Keeping my fingers crossed for 2121 Lawrence and Evolve, but the Greyhound block will likely move faster
Golden Triangle
(1) Lennar 10th & Acoma
You're missing a lot here, but I'm less familiar. I know there's 2-3 cranes up rn, and a lot of spraypaint for boring samples on other lots. Aren't there like 6 towers in different phases?
Capitol Hill
Bespoke Uptown is still finishing up, though the crane just went down. There's also a few in different phases throughout the Governors Park pocket hood. Also 18th and Lafayette has 2 Broadstone bldg's at 11 stories each.

That’s 10, what am I missing? There might be one or two up by Denargo Market I can’t remember. I think a lot of us often forget about stuff in the CBD core. Projects like the El Jebel Apartments, Studio Gang's Populous, Hyatt Centric, Rooms2GoWhatever, Quincy, Block 162, etc etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulopolis View Post
1 crane for a project on a Holden Pl in Sun Valley
1 crane for the 13th & Santa Fe Project

There are crane parts on site for the project at 10th & Santa Fe and 13th & Decatur.
There's also a crane just north of Sun Valley, like between Jefferson Park and Mile High Stadium. South Broadway has a few in Broadway Park (all your Greystones, AMLIs, Lennars, etc) although those are all shorter than 10 (more 9th + CO scale), and Santa Fe Yards will begin soon. At the other end of Santa Fe, the BK on Colfax is getting demo'd soon for I think 8 stories?

Last edited by gopokes21; May 18, 2021 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I would love to see foot traffic like one might see on 6th Street in Austin but I'm not sure exactly what that would take.
As someone who just ate at the Jackalope on 6th last week, that area was gross. It made the 16th street mall look clean and refreshing. And although I would love something more unique in Denver, a drunken college street of bar fights and barf aren't it.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes21 View Post
and Santa Fe Yards will begin soon.
I think they're going to wait until a large tenant signs a deal before building. Unless you think soon is within the next 25 years, I don't see it starting 'soon'

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:17 AM

We're not talking cheap Pretzel Sticks here
This is a $200 million development.

https://milehighcre.com/construction...arket-station/
Quote:
Punch list walkthroughs are either underway or have been completed on the exterior and interior of the project and all paving work has been completed and received signatures from Denver city inspectors. The site construction fencing has been removed, as requested by the city.
Everyone wants to know about the retail space.
Quote:
The retail space, which is anticipated to be occupied this summer, will include established national brands, emerging concepts and a small number of restaurants.
JPMorgan Chase had reportedly committed to the office space. https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...ks-denver.html
Quote:
For Chase, the decision was part of a plan it made to strategically expand its retail footprint. Geoff Barker, market manager for JPMorgan Private Bank in the Rockies, said that the company thought it was time to bring all of its lines of business in Denver under one roof together. They fell in love with Market Station because of its centralized location both in Denver and Colorado. They’re opening a flagship retail banking branch, as well as bringing their consumer banking, investment banking, private bank, corporate staff and other teams together.

“Under one roof we’ll be able to take you from your first checking account through growing a business,” Barker said.
Over eight years ago:

Video Link

Today

Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 2:02 AM

Thanks, TakeFive on the retail update. That's fascinating. I'd love to see Cava, Torchy's, or In-N-Out (mainly because the foot traffic might catalyze other business).

I drove around RiNo and there were three big projects that I noticed for the first time to be under active construction:

1. Novel RiNo
2. The Current
3. FoundryLine

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:05 PM

19TH & CHESTNUT

Renderings courtesy Shears Adkins Rockmore Architects

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...nt-design.html
Quote:
The building will include essentially no parking — just 13 spaces — a rarity in Denver. It won't have ground-floor commercial space, or a pool for tenants.

Instead, it'll be filled with small units that will provide more attainable options for younger residents who want to live near a transportation hub in the city's urban core, Rude said. The building's units will average just 379 square feet. Of the 232 total units, 218 will be studios, with one-bedrooms accounting for the remainder.

As one of the last lots available for development in the Union Station neighborhood, the site's appeal is obvious. But it also came with challenges. "It's in an odd little pocket right next to the [Xcel Energy] substation, next to the train tracks, next to the terminus for the RTD light rail,'' said Matt Johnson, an architect with SA+R. "So, lots of unique opportunities and challenges, which we definitely tried to take advantage of."

The 0.37-acre site is located at 2059 19th St., just northwest of Coors Field.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:45 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Thanks, TakeFive on the retail update. That's fascinating. I'd love to see Cava, Torchy's, or In-N-Out (mainly because the foot traffic might catalyze other business).

I drove around RiNo and there were three big projects that I noticed for the first time to be under active construction:

1. Novel RiNo
2. The Current
3. FoundryLine
Generally surprised that The Current broke ground given the uncertainty surrounding commercial office space needs of companies going forward. But since it's positioned as a Class A upper end it I assume that's the driver as those properties are the one's most likely to come out on top.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:30 PM

The Current also got a head start on Watershed, WTC and T3 (T3 "broke ground" before the pandemic but no work has happened). Not sure how much of the prepandemic planned office space will actually happen in RiNo. The one proposed office building in Golden Triangle is converting to residential due to uncertainties in the office market.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Generally surprised that The Current broke ground given the uncertainty surrounding commercial office space needs of companies going forward. But since it's positioned as a Class A upper end it I assume that's the driver as those properties are the one's most likely to come out on top.
I'm not in the business, but maybe there is an appetite for companies to go back to a new place. I know that would entice me.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes21 View Post
Responding in red, but only to the neighborhoods you've named. There's cranes up all throughout the city, not just downtown-adjacent.

That’s 10, what am I missing? There might be one or two up by Denargo Market I can’t remember. I think a lot of us often forget about stuff in the CBD core. Projects like the El Jebel Apartments, Studio Gang's Populous, Hyatt Centric, Rooms2GoWhatever, Quincy, Block 162, etc etc...

There's also a crane just north of Sun Valley, like between Jefferson Park and Mile High Stadium. South Broadway has a few in Broadway Park (all your Greystones, AMLIs, Lennars, etc) although those are all shorter than 10 (more 9th + CO scale), and Santa Fe Yards will begin soon. At the other end of Santa Fe, the BK on Colfax is getting demo'd soon for I think 8 stories?
A lot of the projects you mentioned no longer have cranes or haven’t started yet (or potentially will never start). I was just down there and missed one crane for the big apartment project on Brighton Blvd by Great Divide. Also as mentioned in a previous post there are two cranes up in Sun Valley (DHA projects) and one in Jefferson Park at the Opus multifamily project by Empower Field. So that’s 14 cranes in downtown and adjacent neighborhoods. I’m not counting the cranes up at the projects on the other side of Federal or the ones up at the AMLI project at Alameda & Bannock.

What’s crazy is that every single crane in the downtown area except for the two on One Platte are building apartment buildings. No other office, hotel, medical, school, civic, etc buildings.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:45 PM

Royal Palace Motel, specifically, the sign

Seems to me someone local could save the sign from this place. Does anyone know anyone?

Owner of shuttered Royal Palace Motel off Colfax applies for demolition eligibility

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:56 PM

I mean, it's gaudy as heck, but I mean it represents the last of an era. There's got to be a collector out there, even for something as huge as it is.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:37 PM

There used to be a guy who ran a colfax museum that had a bunch of old signs but I believe that shut down.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndj View Post
There used to be a guy who ran a colfax museum that had a bunch of old signs but I believe that shut down.
There are some of these preserved at Belmar Park in Lakewood. Cool little park with a recreated old Colfax and farmstead if you've never been.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:33 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
...What’s crazy is that every single crane in the downtown area except for the two on One Platte are building apartment buildings. No other office, hotel, medical, school, civic, etc buildings.
Give it time. All of the new rooftops will spur a need for proximate retail, office, hotel, etc. Density brings many positive outcomes it just takes many years for it to materialize. That old adage, retail follows rooftops rings true to this day!

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:37 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndj View Post
Johnny Barber who started the Colfax Museum. Not sure if he landed a new space or not, but he's still around.

http://www.colfaxavenue.org/p/colfax-museum.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West