HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 4:23 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Well that's a new one from the NIMBYs "station too deep!" .

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 4:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm sure the NIMBYs would be totally okay with shutting down the street for 2-3 years while its ripped up by cut-and-cover.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 10:11 PM

Caltrain electrification delayed to 2024 - Mercury

Quote:
The project transitioning Caltrain from diesel locomotives to sleek electric trains between San Jose and San Francisco is going to take two years longer than expected to finish, while its price tag is growing by more than $300 million, railroad officials announced Thursday.

Caltrain now expects to start electrified passenger service in late 2024, rather than sometime next year. And the 51 miles of electrification work will cost $2.3 billion, up from the previous estimate of $1.98 billion.
Quote:
Crews have experienced “complications” with the signaling system that will manage crossing gates along the new line, the railroad wrote in a news release. COVID-19 has disrupted supply chains for key materials such as rebar and electrical components. And there have been issues with the ground beneath the railroad’s tracks, including underground utilities that don’t match up with planning documents.

Another significant problem: Delivery of Caltrain’s new fleet of 133 electric train cars, which was set to be completed by August of next year, has been pushed back to late 2023. Train manufacturer Stadler, which is building the new fleet in Switzerland and Salt Lake City, has been slowed by COVID-19 infections among its workers, international travel restrictions and problems with suppliers, Caltrain spokesman Dan Lieberman said.
The whole story here.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

So glad CHSRA gave up on the 4-track Peninsula for this clearly superior alternative. F*** me.

The cost and timeline overrun is really not a good thing for other agencies looking at electrification. This really sucks. The takeaway will be any electrification project will cost hundreds of millions more and take years longer than projected. This will surely scare American agencies who are even remotely considering electrification. Bad news all around unfortunately.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:37 AM

Lightbulb

"And the 51 miles of electrification work will cost $2.3 billion, up from the previous estimate of $1.98 billion."
Old costs projections math = 1980 / 51 = $38.8 million/mile
New costs projections math = 2300 / 51 = $45 million/mile
Projected costs math = 2300 /1980 x 100 = 116% or up 16%.

On time and on budget construction projects just do not ever exist in California anymore.
Time is money, take longer to do it always costs more.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 5:51 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The takeaway will be any electrification project will cost hundreds of millions more and take years longer than projected. This will surely scare American agencies who are even remotely considering electrification. Bad news all around unfortunately.
However, with climate change, it’s highly likely that there will be a push to electrify the frequent (commuter) rail corridors in California, sooner rather than later. Justifying diesel locomotives beyond 2030 to 2035, seems like it would be a tough sell.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So glad CHSRA gave up on the 4-track Peninsula for this clearly superior alternative. F*** me.

The cost and timeline overrun is really not a good thing for other agencies looking at electrification. This really sucks. The takeaway will be any electrification project will cost hundreds of millions more and take years longer than projected. This will surely scare American agencies who are even remotely considering electrification. Bad news all around unfortunately.
From the presentation I saw looks like the worst of the delays are signal system and rolling stock manufacturing related. They're going to be done with the electrification (poles, wires, traction power stations) part of this in 2022. I doubt issues and delays in signal system deployment would really shock any US rail operators.

It's going to be another decade before any of this infra is used for intercity high speed rail so in that context it doesn't really matter.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

The corridor needs to be electrified whether there are 2 tracks or 4 tracks, the HSR trainsets aren't dual-mode. It's not mutually exclusive.

I agree the delays are disappointing, and the cost here was actually very encouraging before the latest news came out. The thing is though that America can't build infrastructure of any kind without these kinds of problems. If Metra or SEPTA was building a new diesel powered line, they would run into other, equally bad problems. Amtrak can't even get new unpowered coaches without some weird lead contamination keeping them out of service. I don't think it casts doubt on electrification specifically vs. other kinds of transpo investments. Hell, even roadway projects are a mess these days.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The corridor needs to be electrified whether there are 2 tracks or 4 tracks, the HSR trainsets aren't dual-mode. It's not mutually exclusive.
I'm aware. I'm referring to what it seems like they are getting for the $$$. I still stand by the opinion that once the HSR system makes it into SF, they are going to quickly realize the layout, constraints and capacity of the current Peninsula corridor is inadequate. Which does beg the question, if the current electrification project (outside, yes, of the required rolling stock) is actually a good use of funds if it's not being built to futureproof specifications (ambitions).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 3:30 PM

Technical question - does anyone know if the signaling, real-time arrival, crossing gates, etc., will all be hard-wired or will they communicate wirelessly? The latter promises to save money but its implementation on a small streetcar system where I live caused years of problems and in fact it still doesn't work perfectly.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 8:00 PM
TL;DR

^ Apparently they are installing a "dual speed check" (hardwired) system as an interim solution with a plan to upgrade to wireless system later. I believe there is a track sensor that detects the speed of the train independently, and then confirms the speed against what the PTC system is saying. The gate is then programmed to go down based on the more conservative of the two numbers.

Denver had big issues with grade crossings on their A Line, using the same contractor and systems as Caltrain. Hopefully the contractor learned lessons from this...
https://caltrain-hsr.blogspot.com/20...ble-ahead.html

Traditional solutions for grade crossing in the USA send a current thru the track which does not work on an electrified railroad, since the rail is the neutral conductor paired with the catenary for traction power. Other countries deal with this problem by erring on the side of caution and letting the gate stay down for a long time. But the FRA here in the good ol' USA has decided that motorists' time is holy, and the gates may not stay down a second longer then necessary.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
But the FRA here in the good ol' USA has decided that motorists' time is holy, and the gates may not stay down a second longer then necessary.
...and as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, they are putting a lot of man/computer power into calculating the train schedules based on various funding levels since they are under pressure to have inbound/outbound trains cross the major intersections at the same time in order to minimize the number of times the gates drop during rush hour, which is when both the rail line and roadways will be busiest.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 5:47 AM

Here is a link to a June 3, 2021 presentation by Caltrain before the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board, which provides an update on the electrification of the line, as well as an explanation of some of the delays in its completion.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:05 AM
你的媽媽

New vs old

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
SF Central Subway to be up and running in 2022
AUGUST 4, 2021

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Authority has shared a Central Subway project construction update via video.

The Central Subway Project is moving toward the start of testing and certification of project elements such as station escalators, elevators, trackwork and radio communications, according to the agency.

The next project stage will include rail activation to begin testing train operations, train control and other integral systems. Automatic train control and other systems will then have to be tested and made ready for the start of revenue service in 2022, approximately a year from now.

MTC made the $1.57 billion Central Subway project a top regional priority in the nationwide competition for funding through the Federal Transit Administration’s New Starts program

Video Link
https://blog.bayareametro.gov/posts/...d-running-2022

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 5:20 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
VTA Survey Open For BART Station Design Feedback

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON SEPTEMBER 15, 2021

The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, i.e., VTA, is welcoming the public to provide design feedback on the four future San Jose BART Stations. In particular, VTA is looking for ideas of visual elements to integrate into each of the stations. Along with the survey, the Authority has released some of the most detailed illustrations yet of the future transit hubs. The website is part of phase two in community engagement, the Construction Education and Outreach Plan. The website will receive its final comments on Friday, September 17th.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/09/vta-surv...-feedback.html

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 7:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

That red one looks like a public restroom from the 1970s. Horrible. Start over. The rest look okay I guess.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
That red one looks like a public restroom from the 1970s. Horrible. Start over. The rest look okay I guess.
Reminds me of the light rail subway stations in Buffalo, NY.

The development envisioned for the station's block is fairly large but nowhere close to as big as what should be happening on land adjacent to a rapid transit station in one of the wealthiest and housing-constricted cities on the planet.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
This Bay Area transit service is booming after adding more service on the weekends
Ricardo Cano
Sep. 13, 2021
Updated: Sep. 14, 2021 6:05 p.m.

When the San Francisco Bay Ferry increased service beyond pre-pandemic levels in July, it did so by discounting rides and beefing up the number of its weekend trips instead of relying on the peak-hour weekday service that used to make up much of its ridership.

Two months later, the service increases seem to be paying off, and the ferry’s ridership surge marks the latest example of how the pandemic has changed the way people get around the Bay Area, perhaps for the long run.

The ferry’s ridership is a fraction of some of the region’s largest operators, such as Muni and BART, and weekday ridership remains at 32% of pre-pandemic figures despite its recent gains. But the ferry’s surging popularity on the weekends illustrates how weekend and leisure travel have taken center stage during the Bay Area’s summer of reopening.

Ferry service to Giants baseball games is selling out. And though its weekday ridership has increased by 67%, particularly during midday hours, Saturdays and Sundays have now become the most popular days to ride the ferry, reaching more than 60% of pre-pandemic levels since service resumed in July.

“We were not expecting our weekend service to be at 70% of pre-pandemic levels on our holiday weekends.”

In response to its growing weekend ridership, the ferry added more weekend service from Oakland and Alameda starting Labor Day weekend. It also plans to bring back limited service to South San Francisco in October . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...r-16453963.php

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:42 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation