HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 1:10 PM
The City

^ Yep, Ogden is Chicago’s little sleeper hit. I bet you zoning issues and NIMBYism are non-existent for these smallish developments along that corridor. Developers building stuff there go in, go out, turn a profit and move on to the next one with little controversy. That’s how cities fill in when there is less top-down intrusion

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Lol so this is what Two is up to. He's the guy I mentioned liquidating his Marshall Square and West Pilsen portfolio and destroying all the old comps "because he's planning some 50 unit building". Thought for sure he would have a piece of land up north or in Pilsen proper. Guess he's just as bullish on the area as I am.

And I don't think the community will be that much of an issue here. This is Michael Scott's ward, he really DGAF what the Marxists in Pilsen and Little Village have to say, he wants investment in his ward because, well, that's the only way he will ever really fix the root cause of racial inequities in his community. You will never break the cycle of violence and poverty unless you inject money and jobs into the equation.

Ah, totally forgot north of cermak is Scott.

Still seems like a little bit of an odd spot for TOD, close to trains but grocery stores and restaurants are all down on 26th and honestly not much to do right there. But gotta start somewhere, I hope it's successful.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
This one snuck up on me too. There's a brand new five or six story residential right across the street that didn't show up on my radar until it was complete. Before long Ogden will have a seemless streetwall from IMD all the way to River West. This project will also be a major player in the ever evolving Kennedy canyon.
It's all not far from the Chicago Blue Lime stop..Ogden and Mikwaukee (and some side streets) have a fair amount of new construction now.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 6:10 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yep, Ogden is Chicago’s little sleeper hit. I bet you zoning issues and NIMBYism are non-existent for these smallish developments along that corridor. Developers building stuff there go in, go out, turn a profit and move on to the next one with little controversy. That’s how cities fill in when there is less top-down intrusion
Yeah Ogden has the most potential to turn from an run-down auto sewer into a vibrant urban boulevard.

It helps that this area is part of Burnett's ward just like Fulton Market and the Milwaukee corridor. Bless that guy, he will greenlight everything. I'm curious to see the new ward map, as this will have big implications for the development patterns.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:17 AM

150 North Clinton has been in and out of the news the past couple of years for a new office building. It now has that green construction netting all around the parking lot. There's also 3-4 giant dumpsters on site. No other equipment that I saw though. Anyone have any updates on this site?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap_Shot View Post
150 North Clinton has been in and out of the news the past couple of years for a new office building. It now has that green construction netting all around the parking lot. There's also 3-4 giant dumpsters on site. No other equipment that I saw though. Anyone have any updates on this site?
Do you mean Franklin?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 1:34 PM

6 Corners Development

From Block Club: Neighbors Applaud Six Corners Sears Redevelopment At 1st Public Meeting But Call For More Affordable Housing, Traffic Study

Quote:
Novak wants to convert the 83-year-old art deco Sears into about 50,000 square feet of commercial space on the first floor with 208 luxury apartments and about 183 parking spots.
Quote:
The project’s studio, one- and two-bedroom convertible apartments would cost $2,750-$3,000 a month for a 1,000-square-foot apartment. Paschen said only six of the 208 units would be affordable, which raised concerns among many neighbors who said the number needs to be higher.
Proposal:

Today:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Do you mean Franklin?
No, there's a much smaller lot on N. Clinton between the old IRI HQ building (which was also rumored to be in line for a large renovation) and the post office there. Just south of the Clinton green/pink line stop.

In the past, it was going to be a 6-7 story boutique office building. But that info is a year or two old now. Just seeing if there's any updates.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
No, there's a much smaller lot on N. Clinton between the old IRI HQ building (which was also rumored to be in line for a large renovation) and the post office there. Just south of the Clinton green/pink line stop.

In the past, it was going to be a 6-7 story boutique office building. But that info is a year or two old now. Just seeing if there's any updates.
You’re correct. I remember seeing some polished renderings last year showing both brick buildings being renovated and then a steel and glass structure in the parking lot making it one large office building. Would be wonderful if that happens.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 6:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Interesting story in the S-T:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/6/...itchoff-austin

Quote:
Dream homes become nightmare for some new owners
Renaissance at Beverly Ridge stands on the former site of a steel fabricating plant. The city helped fund the residential development, but some homes aren’t measuring up.
Beverly Ridge has been branded as an oasis for Black middle-class families seeking a suburban feel. But it has struggled to live up to that promise, with its developer accused of allowing buyers to move into new homes over the last two years that are riddled with defects.
Hopefully none of you guys are this developer!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post

Interesting story, I can sympathize as we are on our 3rd new construction home in the city and each has had it's share of issues. Some builders are better than others with resolving complaints but what I have come to understand is that what is acceptable business practice in the building trades is not what is acceptable in other businesses or professions - and consumers need to be aware when buying something new. Holding feet to fire gets results as the article highlights, but its not glamourous or fun.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:33 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Interesting story, I can sympathize as we are on our 3rd new construction home in the city and each has had it's share of issues. Some builders are better than others with resolving complaints but what I have come to understand is that what is acceptable business practice in the building trades is not what is acceptable in other businesses or professions - and consumers need to be aware when buying something new. Holding feet to fire gets results as the article highlights, but its not glamourous or fun.
I guess this is especially exacerbated by the fact that many people buy new precisely because they don't want to have any issues for a long time...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:46 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post

Difficult though to beat this one (a different sfh development in the city some years ago):

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...226-story.html

Absolute horror story outlined in the article -

"The newspaper found the development was teeming with building code violations and dozens of work-stoppage orders. One almost-completed home collapsed when hit by 50-mph winds."

"......the walls of the $900,000 home would shake in the wind. The wall joists were 36 inches apart, rather than the 16 inches specified by the blueprints, according to the lawsuit."

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jun 1, 2021 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:54 PM

Are they suing the developer? Or is the city?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:

They changed the address, which might be were some of the confusion is coming from. The new address is 550 w Randolph. There have been construction barriers around that lot for a little while, I presume the entire interior is currently being gutted. My post from a few weeks back(quite a few dumpsters have come and gone since):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
550 w Randolph looks like it might have started it's reno/expansion. Signage on the old entrance on Clinton has said for a while that that tenant has moved—green fencing and dumpsters are new

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
There have been construction barriers around that lot for a little while, I presume the entire interior is currently being gutted. My post from a few weeks back(quite a few dumpsters have come and gone since):
Many thanks!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Ah, totally forgot north of cermak is Scott.

Still seems like a little bit of an odd spot for TOD, close to trains but grocery stores and restaurants are all down on 26th and honestly not much to do right there. But gotta start somewhere, I hope it's successful.
Yes, this end of Cermak is tattered and needs a face lift to really open the door to North Lawndale. Scott is well aware of that and I'm sure he's thrilled to have Teo trying a new TOD there. I'm thrilled because I've been kicking around similar plans not far from there and would love to have him dip his toes in the water first.

Cermak East of Kedzie is one of the most vibrant retail strips in the city and that energy just sorta fizzles out the closer you get to the Metra tracks. If this corridor can turn around, then the door is open to connecting the little node around Central Park that the alderman has built up with Lawndale Christian to the development forces coming from the East.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 12:26 PM
The City

Ya gotta love how, with pandemic limitations receding and a sudden burst of amazing weather in Chicago—the Chicago forum be like........crickets

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 2:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

You must mean cicadas.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:20 AM

Remember the 4 story condo development on Irving Park Rd that got rejected cause it wasn't dense enough? Here's the updated, denser proposal from Chicago YIMBY | 5 stories | 40 units | 8 affordable | 16 parking

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/06/upd...th-center.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development