HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:08 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
is it time to start a dedicated thread for this disgraceful turn of events?
Not until we see something serious to indicate this is more than a negotiating tactic. Renderings, financing discussions for Arlington Heights etc. Chances are pretty good that this just ends with a low 9-figure renovation to Soldier Field.

As with Wrigley Field, the city can minimize taxpayer expense if they offer something valuable to the team - development rights nearby, revenue share from other Soldier Field events, etc. Hard to see where the Bears could develop a "stadium village" except for One Central though, Friends of the Parking Lot will be out in force to protect any sites on the lakefront.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:18 PM
The City

I’m guessing that this is just a way for the Bears to have leverage against the city in negotiations about Soldier Field.

Being way up in Arlington Heights would totally be unfair to south siders and people living in the south suburbs as well

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not until we see something serious to indicate this is more than a negotiating tactic. Renderings, financing discussions for Arlington Heights etc. Chances are pretty good that this just ends with a low 9-figure renovation to Soldier Field.
i pray you're right.

but i'm ready to torch my jersey at a moment's notice.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:31 PM
TL;DR

If the Bears were a wealthier team I would try to get a deal for a domed stadium at Armour Square just north of Sox Park. Those stadiums are roughly 800' squares, so there is room if you can relocate the park.

This would be similar to the land swap that the Yankees did in the Bronx where they switched places with Macombs Dam Park... the community actually ended up with more parkland than they had before. Normally you'd think parkland would be off-limits for a stadium but if it could get done in NYC's crazy politics I'm sure there's a way in Chicago. The lakefront is a different story, which is part of the problem with Soldier Field now.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:05 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I've always wondered why, other than loads of money of course, the Bears and City would not try to work out something just south of 55/LSD as a southward extension of McCmorkc place. There is a McDonalds, Storage Locker, and Advocate clinic there but I would think there would be space if one could build over the truck yards/IC tracks. As part of the deal, there could be a pedestrian bridge over LSD.
Maybe the Bears would have a complex similar to Lucas that being literally west of LSD may as well be 20miles inland from the lake.

If the Bears move I would be excited about what could hopefully eventually be done. Hope the Fire/MLS would throw in some millions to tear down the west grandstand, explore the western colonnades once again, tear down the 200 levels in the North End in order to have a clear vista to the Field Museum. It would be the nicest MLS stadium I would think, even if it was effectively reduced to 30k.

And while I think the AH idea has some merit at the end of the day I think the Bears will decide it is too far away from their Chicago fans along with their Northbrook/Naperville/Orland Park etc fans not located near the NW suburbs. It is being advertised as a great location but other than the Metra Line it is not all that it is being cracked up to be. I would argue that Soldier Fields is far better for the majority of the Metro's fan base. Plus, the Bears are not going to get any kind of regular SB rotation if located in AH. Maybe, they still wouldn't get more than one if located near downtown Chicago but the chances are way higher to see more than one SB if you built a state-of-the-art, enclosed stadium, near downtown.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jun 18, 2021 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:50 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

If the Bears move I would be excited about what could hopefully eventually be done. Hope the Fire/MLS would throw in some millions to tear down the east grandstand, explore the eastern colonnades once again, tear down the 200 levels in the North End in order to have a clear vista to the Field Museum. It would be the nicest MLS stadium I would think, even if it was effectively reduced to 30k.
A person can dream. Personally, I'd love to see the western toilet bowl grandstand get chopped down or eliminated.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:11 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
A person can dream. Personally, I'd love to see the western toilet bowl grandstand get chopped down or eliminated.
Doh, that is exactly what I meant. I actually kind of like the contrast and sweep of the glass suites on the east side.

Old Posted Today, 3:15 PM

There really is no realistic way to realize the full potential economic value of the Bears franchise at the Soldier Field Location.

I don't think Arlington Heights helps that much in the long run but maybe it does.

Regardless the Bears need a stadium that they own and control - hopefully that ends up within the city limits of Chicago.

Old Posted Today, 3:20 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

Regardless the Bears need a stadium that they own and control - hopefully that ends up within the city limits of Chicago.
SouthWorks?

Old Posted Today, 3:40 PM

Southworks is kinda far out of the way. I really do not see the Bears moving. Anyone really believe the Mccaskeys are going to fund a new stadium on their own? No way they pay the 60+ million to buy out the lease, 5 to 600 million AT LEAST (newest stadium was over 1 BILLION!) to build a stadium not to mention the land cost whatever that is. The state sure is not going to pony up that kind of money. And unfortunately I really do not think there are a ton of great upgrades you can do to the current stadium very easily. It will be interesting to see. They would at the very least have to sell part ownership of the team.

Old Posted Today, 3:43 PM
BDR 529

Like mentioned before, a lakefront stadium at South Works would look awesome, but wouldn't necessarily be ideal for a number of reasons nor meet the Bears other goals or requirements, largest of which is their need for year round revenue from a stadium being part of a multi-use campus. South Works has wonderful potential, but I'm not sure its isolated location, geographically surrounded by economically struggling neighborhoods is at all the kind of site that would be desirable for sports, entertainment, convention, amusement or retail activity.

It's for this reason that I've mentioned the concept of a stadium anchored mega-development being near O'Hare, specifically at a completely redeveloped area adjacent to the Cumberland Blue Line bounded by the Kennedy, Cumberland, Higgins and River Rd. With a little imagination you could see how the ramp cloverleaves of the interchange could be capped with parking to fulfill the tailgate culture aspect of football with maybe a short gondola to other lot areas or even a gondola over the forest preserve to Rosemont. The entire thing could be an integrated mega-development and do wonders to fix the suburban mess that is currently haphazardly developed in the area.

Another potential site would be Rosemont itself, with transit connections from both Blue and Metra North Central Service. This would require huge multi-partner cooperation to dramatically redevelop much of the nonsense north of Balmoral built in the last 30 years. But just imagine the potential if this area could be radically changed to be a more urban mixed use attraction anchored by a new stadium, convention, retail, entertainment, hospitality, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development