HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 2:36 AM
Great White Norf

Buffalo Remakes its Museum in its Own Image (AKG art museum expansion opens soon)

Buffalo Remakes its Museum in its Own Image
With a renowned collection of modern and contemporary art, the Buffalo AKG Art Museum has taken local concerns to heart in a $230 million transformation.

The New York Times
By Hilarie M. Sheets
April 27, 2023

Quote:
BUFFALO — After three and a half years and $230 million, a transformed museum here is about to open amid hopes that it will meet the expectations of a population far different from the one that greeted the original more than 160 years ago.

Founded in 1862 by artists and so-called “Buffalo boosters,” the institution known as the Albright-Knox Art Gallery has been renamed the Buffalo AKG Art Museum and expanded and renovated by Shohei Shigematsu of the architectural firm OMA. It plans to welcome the public beginning June 12.

Since receiving its first painting in 1863, a landscape by the Hudson River painter Albert Bierstadt donated by the artist, the institution has been early to acquire works by Henry Moore, Joan Miró, Mark Rothko, Frida Kahlo, Willem de Kooning, Marisol, Andy Warhol and Mark Bradford, among others, amassing a modern and contemporary collection of international renown.
Quote:
While abutting the edge of Delaware Park, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, “the existing complex was so inward-looking,” said Mr. Shigematsu. He positioned his transparent contemporary building on the museum’s former parking area — now underground — and created a new lawn in front as a welcome gesture.
Quote:
“Our scheme really reinstates the idea that this museum is in the park,” said Mr. Shigematsu, who has connected his new structure to one end of the original building with a serpentine glass bridge that floats amid oak trees and offers shifting views of the campus, park and city.
Quote:
Inside the exhibition galleries, now double the space at 50,000 square feet, some 400 works from the collection are displayed chronologically, starting in the neoclassical building (with a new roof and warm red oak replacing cracked marble flooring) and wending through the three floors of the new building (named for the financier Jeffrey E. Gundlach, who contributed $65 million to the capital campaign).
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/27/a...transformation.

The original neoclassical Albright building was completed in 1905 by local Buffalo firm Green & Wicks, known for many buildings across Buffalo and other cities. It's been said that 20,000 tons of marble was used in its construction. The Knox addition by SOM's Gordon Bunshaft was completed in 1962 and now the Gundlach addition by Shohei Shigematsu of OMA in 2023.
The gallery has an impressive collection: Monet, van Gogh, Picasso, Renoir, Paul Gauguin, Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Georgia O'Keeffe, Salvador Dalí, etc.

ArchDaily has a gallery of 15 photos showing renderings of the Buffalo AKG museum expansion
https://www.archdaily.com/993001/oma...may-2023-image

here's the Google streetview, across from recently renamed Buffalo State University and the Burchfield Penney Art Center
https://goo.gl/maps/3eFPubvqzzaBpDq79

I'm looking forward to visiting the museum in the summer

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 2:39 AM

Very exciting news...will try to pay a visit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 7:45 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Very exciting news...will try to pay a visit.
It should be a magnet for both locals and tourists that like art. Amazing to have 3 different periods of architecture as well. 1905, 1962, and now 2023 ultra modern glass with the glass walkway through the trees to connect the buildings, and that inner courtyard looks awesome as well.

Renderings, for anyone that didn't read my block of text:
https://www.archdaily.com/993001/oma...may-2023-image

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 11:03 PM
Fake News

Very nice looking! If I’m ever in Buffalo will have to pay it a visit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 11:21 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Very nice looking! If I’m ever in Buffalo will have to pay it a visit.
One day if you do an Ontario trip, I'll have to show you in person

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 8:08 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisNelson View Post
Thanks for sharing it. I will try to visit

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 8:14 PM
Unregistered User

Everything I hear about Buffalo makes me want to visit it more and more!

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 1:52 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Everything I hear about Buffalo makes me want to visit it more and more!
Buffalo definitely has its struggles: poverty, blight, crime, but is dusting off its Rust Belt reputation/image and moving forward with renewed civic pride, tons of redevelopment, and regaining population for the first time in decades.

In 1900 it was the 8th largest city in America and larger than both Toronto and Montreal proper. It was talked about with similar fondness to New Orleans and San Francisco in its gilded age. Hard to imagine that happening for most now!

It's really appreciating its impressive late 19th-early 20th to mid-20th century bones/institutions/assets and trying to show outsiders what makes it unique for a small American 1.1M Metro with less than 300k in the city limits.

Olmsted parks and parkways ✓
Theatre district w/grand dame Shea's Buffalo✓
Music/symphony hall (Kleinhans) designed by Finnish Saarinen father-son duo that has been described as "acoustically perfect"✓
Amazing commercial and residential architecture , industrial grain silos ✓
Charming neighborhoods ✓
2 art museums across the street from each other, small storefront galleries✓
1980s light rail line that functions as a subway✓
A city that loves to let loose with festivals, and thriving Craft brewery and distillery industry✓
Lovely rolling hills and ski/snowboarding nearby✓
Regaining its waterfront back with Canalside and Riverworks✓
Nice Location where Lake Erie empties into the Niagara River towards Niagara Falls.

AKG public art initiative is beautifying Buffalo with colorful murals all over the city by internationally known artists
Short 5 min video
Video Link

The AKG art museum has always been cutting edge. Check this 8 min video from 1986!
Video Link

Hope you give these a view

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions